Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Aftermarket Air Inlet Setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2004, 11:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Aftermarket Air Inlet Setup

I have removed the factory air box and installed an open cone filter setup. I did not want the oil vent hose from the valve cover going to my inlet tube to the turbo so I have the hose going to a seperate small filter venting to atmosphere.
I was wondering what other people have done in this case because you do not want oil/mist/residue getting into the turbo inlet.
So what have others done?

THANKS FOR ANY ADVISE.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 01:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Do a search for catch cans and you'll get an idea.

Your filter setup is probably adequate, although the EPA won't be happy with you ultimately venting to atmosphere. Not sure if this will come into play when it comes time to go through whatever inspection process your area has.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 08:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you have installed a filter inline there is no reason not to route it back into the box after the filter. The filter will stop any residue
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 13 Apr 2004, 11:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

So what adverse affects can one expect if they have the tube going to the open element setup? I've been running it that way for awhile and have noticed that unless I'm really on it the engine seems to dog a bit unless I use autostick and downshift... Could this be related? or do I have another problem?
Old 14 Apr 2004, 12:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kgdptblue

So what adverse affects can one expect if they have the tube going to the open element setup? I've been running it that way for awhile and have noticed that unless I'm really on it the engine seems to dog a bit unless I use autostick and downshift... Could this be related? or do I have another problem?
I doubt that it is related. The vent really funtions more at high RPM where intenal block pressures will increase and need a place to go. Plumbing them back into the intake is just a way to keep emissions down. All cars injest a certain amount of oil from this back into the intake. It really does no damage on a NA car but my feeling is that the extremely high temps at the turbo could "coke" dino oil and cause some problems in the long term. A synth oil doesn't worry me much.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 14 Apr 2004, 12:36 am
Cool Cruiser

The good part about the factory air box is that it vents on the atmosphere side of the filter. All(I am aware of) the so called CAI's vent the oil/vapors into the intake tube which go directly to the turbo, not good in my book! That is why I like amx1397 brand -x pipe! An in line filter would be a good idea on the CAI's. I believe the catch can is supposed to be plumbed into the PCV hose not the make up air hose, at least this is where I have always seen them installed.
Old 14 Apr 2004, 01:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The Airraid I use now uses the lower half of the stock box. So the oil pad is still present.
haven't gotten around to putting a filter there.
Have one on the PVC to intake manifold which catches a bit of oil.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 14 Apr 2004, 12:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PTGT Redman

The Airraid I use now uses the lower half of the stock box. So the oil pad is still present.
haven't gotten around to putting a filter there.
Have one on the PVC to intake manifold which catches a bit of oil.
That is what I use too.
Old 14 Apr 2004, 04:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have the BTG CAI setup so I'll need to do some research on the catch can mod! I am using Mobile 1 Synthetic oil.. Thanks for the input!