PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
gt vs srt4

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2014, 09:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Default gt vs srt4

So I was interested in seeing people's responses to this subject. I know its been covered but I wanted a more recent thread open.

Who here has raced srt4s and post your outcome with mods.

I've never ran a neon but I've ran a caliber srt4 here that dynoed 315. I'm guessing he has a tune but he doesn't lnow much about it. I pulled 2 car lengths on him and them about 80 he pulled back and he was on my front bumper by 115.

My mods are:
Solid motor mounts
Aluminum shifter bushings
Tein drop springs
Bfg drag radials on 15s
Diablosport intune with custom tune by me
Turboxs rfl blow off valve
Agp iat sensor
K&n short ram intake
Brian Crower stage 2 cams
Mpx adjustable cam gears tuned for less overlap
3 inch 02 and downpipe into stock pipe through a magnaflow bullet muffler.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but I'm still on pump, stock turbo piping and intercooler. My slave cylinder was leaking onto my clutch so it slipped when I raced most of the time. Its in the shop now getting a rebuilt 3rd gear new slave and a spec stage 2+ clutch. I'm betting I'll pull him next time. Especially e85 and bigger cooler coming too.

Let me know how yalls cars run!.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 09:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: gt vs srt4

I once got my little NA PT up to almost 80 mph on a downhill piece of highway. But hey, I have a 140 mph speedometer. So I have the illusion that I might go fast. And for me, looking fast is much better and safer than being fast.

But it sounds like you've got your PT really dialed in. You might look at some of the stuff Nitro_PT is doing to his wife's car. He may be breaking some new ground on a few the mods he is working on.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 09:51 pm
Young Cruiser

I've taken a couple looks at his threads but they're sooooo long Lol. I really just follow some of the srt4 forums now just because they have a lot more people doing things like this. I know they say the cams aren't good for HP on stock turbo but I defiantly saw an increase with them. I don't race a lot of people in it but I smoked an 07 mustang gt auto pretty bad. Raced a stage 2 roush with 3 people in my car and it wasnt on a very aggressive tune and he didn't even pull me until about 90. He was alone :].
Old 15 Apr 2014, 09:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When you are on a 3,200 lb car, an extra 300 lbs or more can definitely make a difference.

I too found it odd when Nitro told me that a performance camshaft alone would do very little for a PT. My experience with much older cars has always been that a good aftermarket camshaft often does wonders for an engines. But the fact that this is huge matter of contention on PT Cruiser sites means that at least, the camshaft does not make a huge substantial difference. Otherwise, folks wouldn't be fighting over the concept.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 09:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A stock GT ought to lose to a stock SRT 4, because a SRT 4 is lighter and has less cross-sectional area (drag).

Also, read this:
"Manufacturer's specification when the SRT-4 was released was 230 hp (170 kW). However, several independent tests have produced results indicating 230-238 whp and 250-262 lb-ft. This would indicate that the SRT-4 produces more power than the manufacturer claims. The flywheel power is estimated to be around 265-270 hp(194-198 kW) and around 285-300 lb-ft (386-406 Nm)"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Apr 2014, 10:06 pm
Young Cruiser

I know that a stock for stock the pt would lose, but I mean what mods and conditions were on both and the outcome. I just thought it would make for an interesting thread. Just dropping the cams in honestly didn't even make a difference in the butt dyno Lol. But I retarded both cams and actually increase the overlap on the exhaust side by 1 degree. It made for a killer top end setup compared to how it was without the cams at all. I would say I gained maybe 5-10 wheel horsepower. But due to the amount of top end I have now I would do it over again.

All together I doubt the roushe was lighter than me that night, and I've had a few friends tell me that he isn't stock. But the motor is just a stock gt engine. That tells me I'm probably over 250 by now. But cams won't do much without headwork or bigger turbo. The biggest factor for me was running them with a high spike. The way they are set they hold as much air as possible in the cylinder before the combustion. So I hold more boost higher in the rpms.it helps out so much.

Last edited by Melition; 15 Apr 2014 at 10:13 pm.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 01:46 am
Banned

Don't be racing on the street you fool
Old 16 Apr 2014, 08:19 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Don't be racing on the street you fool
He never said he did. Now let the man enjoy his thread.

Melition: I have never personally raced an srt4, and I don't try to pick fights with them because I know the outcome haha. My stock 06 GT 5spd currently runs mid to high 14s and srt4's run high 13s. Most people say the weight and wind resistance is the main factor why the PTs are slower but I would have to say most of it comes down to the fact that stock srt4's dyno up to 230 whp and stock GT's dyno about 200 hp.

Even with DSP tunes, both cars yield the same increase. You would think the GT would have a bigger increase to meet the srt4's, but it doesn't. It's a mystery to me, if someone could shed some light on this, it would be helpful.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 08:31 am
Young Cruiser

We don't go to a strip but my friend has a private road. Never any traffic. Nothing like that. But I'd like to say the difference is in the gear box. We have longer gears I think. But we have less drag than the caliber and less weight by like 50 lbs. But considering the way I kept up with that caliber, even if it is stock id like to say my mods definantly gave me a similar increase as to what the neons expect. There's no way I'm still under 250 whp considering the people I've ran and the way the car pulls. I think after a certain point in the tune you start to see similar gains with the pt gt. Especially since the gearing keeps us in powerband longer. I think another factor could be even the tune from DSP for the pt cruiser is watered down for the automatic.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 09:13 am
Senior Cruiser

OP, What year GT? What psi? I see no mention of bigger injectors? You're going to run e85 with stock injectors?
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer