Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Does a BOV really...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2004, 03:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Does a BOV really...

eliminate any turbo lag as I have read. If so, then by installing the Mopar Turbo Blow-Off Value Conversion (Kit Part Number P4510548...MSRP $69) should mean I will notice better performance. Is this true? [:I] It appears to me as if I have little if any significant turbo lag in my High Output Turbo engine now without a BOV so I'm curious if installing a BOV would be a worthwhile modification. [:I] Also, does the BOV create a loud and/or annoying sound? Thanks.
Old 14 Apr 2004, 03:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to dfunkdj

It will maybe help some especially on a stick shift. Before you buy the mopar one you should check out the one buy Forge motor sports. It's a beeter one ad it vent outside also. You can also change the spring in it for more performance .
check it out at the web site below it is the same one for the neon srt-4.

www.forgemotorsport.com

P.s. Tell then Don sent you

Don
Stage 1, Greddy blow off valve, AGP WGA, Custom open dual exhaust, Denso plugs, Xtremeboost upcharge pipe, AMX intake pipe, Ramair hoods hood, Apc ground effects kit, lowerd 3\", Turbo xs MBC, auto meter double gauge pod, and 2 more gauge mountd on sterring wheel {oil psi and temp, boost, water temp}
apc 2nd gen tail lights, more to come soon
Tampabay Pt Cruisers</b></font id=\"orange\">
Old 14 Apr 2004, 04:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gary04GT

eliminate any turbo lag as I have read. If so, then by installing the Mopar Turbo Blow-Off Value Conversion (Kit Part Number P4510548...MSRP $69) should mean I will notice better performance. Is this true? [:I] It appears to me as if I have little if any significant turbo lag in my High Output Turbo engine now without a BOV so I'm curious if installing a BOV would be a worthwhile modification. [:I] Also, does the BOV create a loud and/or annoying sound? Thanks.
Gary,

The MOPAR BOV will do absolutely nothing for performance, other than make your car louder between shifts and when letting off the throttle quickly while in boost.

BOVs (which we already have, by the way, it's called a surge valve. the mopar BOV just makes it louder) are to prevent damage to the turbo, they don't do anything to eliminate lag unless you are replacing a defective one which leaks with a non-defective one which doesn't.

So, unless you like a noisy engine (it will make a high pitched WHOOSH when you shift) or you want to point to it at car shows, I would save yourself the money.

Aftermarket BOVs will have a similar impact on your performance, but a much higher one on your wallet.
Old 14 Apr 2004, 06:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazyjoe

So, unless you like a noisy engine (it will make a high pitched WHOOSH when you shift) or you want to point to it at car shows, I would save yourself the money.

Aftermarket BOVs will have a similar impact on your performance, but a much higher one on your wallet.
In other words, If you want to have one go with the MOPAR one, Cheaper.

I have one and it sounds exacly like an air brake letting go in a rig.

BTW, I took my car to the dealer for service with it in place. They never questioned my waranty or instalation, they actually enjoyed making it go off when they took it inside the service area[?]
Old 14 Apr 2004, 08:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I like my Mopar BOV.
Does nothing for performance, although it is tell tale that I have a turbo.
Vents excess gas to atmosphere rather than re-circulate it.
For the great BOV debate, check the search function.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 14 Apr 2004, 08:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Didn't do anything for my performance, but I didn't expect it to. I got it for the noise...just to bug Jeff with the Celica across the street and all the noisy Hondas![?]
Old 15 Apr 2004, 12:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

Well, actually a BOV MOPAR or another aftermarket one will help you with performance.

How much I am not sure I do not know the specs on the stock one but there is no way that the stock BOV can push out as much as my Blitz does.

There is not much turbo lag on our cars because the factory turbo is a smaller unit set up for normal every day driving.. Replace the turbo for a bigger one (which I will soon) and you will have more turbo lag, but way more top end power. Then a BOV will help a lot more..

Basic BOV.. lets air out of the system so all the pressure doesn't stop in the UCP thus pushing on the turbo either slow down, stop, or create backspin.. all of which will make you build the turbo back up..

Also this will hurt your turbo's longevity..

Plus man you will never get tired of hearing that sound..
ADAM
Old 15 Apr 2004, 05:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Also, boosted air is hotter air. The intercooler does not bring the charge temp back down to ambient. I can't remember the numbers but I think 3Bar posted them once. So with the stock BOV you are recirculating heated air back into the intake system.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 15 Apr 2004, 05:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I did understand that the less backpressure on the blades the less metal fatigue and the longer the time before failure.
Thats why I have it...

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 16 Apr 2004, 10:26 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 03baggedturbo

Well, actually a BOV MOPAR or another aftermarket one will help you with performance.

How much I am not sure I do not know the specs on the stock one but there is no way that the stock BOV can push out as much as my Blitz does.

There is not much turbo lag on our cars because the factory turbo is a smaller unit set up for normal every day driving.. Replace the turbo for a bigger one (which I will soon) and you will have more turbo lag, but way more top end power. Then a BOV will help a lot more..

Basic BOV.. lets air out of the system so all the pressure doesn't stop in the UCP thus pushing on the turbo either slow down, stop, or create backspin.. all of which will make you build the turbo back up..

Also this will hurt your turbo's longevity..

Plus man you will never get tired of hearing that sound..
ADAM
A MOPAR BOV WILL NOT HELP PERFORMANCE in any appreciable way. Yes, it will put heated air back into the intake system. How much? Just enough to get the pressure in the pipes back down to atmospheric pressure instead of 10, 12, or 14PSI. Not a lot. Certainly not enough to make more than a microsecond difference in your 1/4 mile time.

You already have a surge valve on your car to protect the turbo from backspin. The MOPAR BOV is a noisemaker, plain and simple, and any aftermarket BOV attached to your stock turbo is also a noisemaker and a waste of money.

Mitsubishi Eclipses running 400HP use recirculating BOVs all the time, because they have to, and it doesn't seem to hurt them much.

Gary, if you want the noisemaker, get it, but realize it is not going to help you or increase the longevity of anything other than the profit margins of whoever you purchase it from.