Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Boost leak?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 May 2014, 01:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Boost leak?

I just got done watching a video online of a guy hitting it in an SRT4 and a few comments were mentioning his boost leak.

All I could hear was a high pitched whistle over the other noise but it sounded eerily similar to the noise I heard in the wife's car the last time I got into the throttle. I can't link the vid but it's on the tube and it's called 2005 SRT-4 Before/After DSP...

My whistle is not nearly as loud as this guys but I did notice something like it.

So... Anyone around the southeast pa area with boost detecting skills or am I on my own? Just curious if there are any tune shops around that may offer some insight. I've already got my shopping list for my DIY detector but I'd be interested in meeting with someone who has some SRT/GT experience.
05 PT GT Vert, Airbox mod, K&N filter, NeedsWings intake pipe, Mopar BOV, MSD wires, Autotecnica Chrome Spears, APC Taillights, Mopar Stage One, UltraGauge, Energy front suspension kit, Moog spherical bushings

Last edited by VanillaVert; 06 May 2014 at 01:34 am.
Old 06 May 2014, 08:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Boost leak?

Check the clamps on the hoses running from the turbo to the intercooler and form there to the intake. Also check the condition of the pcv valve and hose.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 May 2014, 10:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Got it... will do sometime this week for sure and will follow up.
05 PT GT Vert, Airbox mod, K&N filter, NeedsWings intake pipe, Mopar BOV, MSD wires, Autotecnica Chrome Spears, APC Taillights, Mopar Stage One, UltraGauge, Energy front suspension kit, Moog spherical bushings
Old 06 May 2014, 02:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you are not familiar with the workings of a turbo system and it is your first try at checking for leaks, it can be daunting and confusing to a novice. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't attempt it because you are learning as you go, the same way we all did. Start with checking the connections on the big, air charge hoses and pipes and work you way from there to all the smaller hoses and tubes. At the age and miles of most Cruisers now, the rubber and plastic lines are starting to get old and brittle from the high, under hood heat, etc. Good luck with it and think of it as quality time with a loved one.
Old 06 May 2014, 06:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to apexanimal

What part of se pa?

You can make a diy boost leak tester, and it will come in handy... It's hard to tell what will leak and what won't without one...
Old 07 May 2014, 01:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm just south of Reading, within acoustic reception distance of Maple Grove Raceway.

Gonna try to do it soon, garage door opener just died so I'm gonna be busy with that this weekend. Hoping to at least get the DIY detector parts Sunday though. It doesn't really seem that complicated, plug it at the intake hose and pump it in at the turbo inlet. I'm gonna use the old inlet pipe to plug in the valve stem section to the turbo. Might get a bike tire foot pump too.

I've been really DIY with this car so far. I'm not rippin out engines or trannys like the old days but it's just enough to keep me busy. I'm looking forward to this little job! (hopefully it's little... better just be a loose clamp and not some gasket or something )
Old 07 May 2014, 07:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

I would not go the bike pump method. Good luck pressurizing the system with that. Going to need an air compressor.
Old 07 May 2014, 10:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have a battery boost box with a little compressor too, I might use that but the gauge doesn't work all the time. Seen a vid of a guy using a foot pump to test his system and it seemed to work just fine.

Is it wrong for me to be hoping it's a hole in the pipes so I can have a reason to buy hardpipes?

Last edited by VanillaVert; 07 May 2014 at 10:03 pm.
Old 08 May 2014, 11:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaVert View Post
I have a battery boost box with a little compressor too, I might use that but the gauge doesn't work all the time. Seen a vid of a guy using a foot pump to test his system and it seemed to work just fine.

Is it wrong for me to be hoping it's a hole in the pipes so I can have a reason to buy hardpipes?

Not at all. Will be an easy fix. I doubt there will be a hole in the silicone pipes though. Hardpipes have more areas for potential boost leaks. But they do look cool though.
Remember the "Factory boost leak" will need to be capped during the test. Its the tube that goes into the air intake tube. The drivers side port leading out of the cam cover will also leak boost during the test. I don't cap that off, some people do. Pressurize your system to 15-20 psi and watch it leak down.
Get a spray bottle of soapy water and spray away. Here are potential areas for boost leaks that I can think of on the top of my head:
-Vacuum/Boost lines.
-Bottom of turbo chargepipe connection
-All the intercooler piping hot and cold side leading to the throttle body
-surgevalve
-fuel injector o-rings
-cam cover
-intake manifold lower and upper
-Solenoid pack covering your passenger side strut mount.

You will definitely be able to hear the leaks if there are leaks if the system is pressurized.
Old 08 May 2014, 12:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Huge thanks for the list! Hoping to get this done before we head out to some cruises.