PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
don't start it or the engine will blow up?

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2014, 12:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default don't start it or the engine will blow up?

Pretty dramatic title from a new member for a first post huh?
My friend has asked me to work on their 2005 PT Cruiser 2.4 Turbo, Touring edition. I'm not sure how many miles are on the body at the moment but the engine and turbo are new, less than 200 miles on them.
No, they don't want to take it back to the shop that did the engine install.
This is probably going to be a long post and story but the short version is - the guy that last drove the car said not to start it or it will 'blow the engine up'. Now I'm no mechanic but there hasn't been anything I can't fix yet and I can't think of anything other than sabatoge that would 'blow up' a motor just by starting it. (ok, I can but not in this case with these symptoms) Appartently he was driving it home one night when it stalled on him. He was able to get it started, it drove with no to very little power and stalled again. He said it was like it was out of gas. He ended up pushing it home and it hasn't been moved since. I was able to stop by yesterday and pull the codes which were P1188 with P0234 pending. I am using the Torque app on my phone to pull the codes.
I figured I would come here instead of lurking more than I have and ask for some help from the folks that know these PT Cruisers, the symptoms and what usually happens.
In my mind, it could actually be out of gas (but the gauge is showing gas in the tank) or for some reason it hit limp home mode (I don't know how it would act in that mode though?) or there is another problem I will need to find. I'm not sure if they replaced the cat converter but even then I don't see plugged exhaust coming on that suddenly, no P0420 codes or anything related....
I know it isn't much yet but so far - does anyone see a problem with me starting the engine and seeing what is what? I don't want to ruin a new engine and new turbo but I can't see how going back, resetting the CEL and starting it up will hurt anything. From my lurking does the P1188 cause a low/no power condition?
Old 09 Jun 2014, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: don't start it or the engine will blow up?

Well, here's a couple things to read about the code while your waiting....

P1188 Code

http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/2...ngine-not.html
Old 09 Jun 2014, 12:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Nothing to indicate anything that would be a danger. I would look over the vac lines and piping for the turbo for loose ends. If fluids and things check out you can start it up and see what is what. If starting would blow it. It's already dead anyway.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Jun 2014, 12:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I agree, if it kills the engine or turbo just by me starting it - I didn't cause it but I feel better asking. I would have felt really bad if I went over, started it, something broke then I read on here "oh yea, the '05 was a quirky year in that if you started it with the P1188 and it was sunny outside it would blow up the engine and crack the turbo in 8 places"
I have read many many articles on the P1188 and the diagnostic process all the way thru the solenoids. Looks like I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks for the vac lines and turbo hoses direction. It would be nice to find a loose hose causing this and really it would make more sense than something 'broken'. Fresh engine install and some body work done up front, might be easy to overlook a hose.
I think I have read this but for folks that have experienced the P1188, does it result in a loss of power like that?
Old 09 Jun 2014, 01:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Bond...James Bond..has he or the Taliban been around the PT ? If no to either of these question then start the engine and begin from scratch to diagnose the problem(s).
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Jun 2014, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The guy is somewhat dillusional and can come up with some pretty outlandish things which is again why I would have felt stupid if he had been right this one time :-)

Still wouldn't mind hearing if the P1188 goes along with low power but as soon as I can get back over there to start diagnosis I will. The acutal owner is going to be a little upset if this car has sat for a long time because the guy said it will kill the engine if it is started.....
Thanks much so far and I won't leave the thread hanging (that is my pet peeve), whatever this is might help someone down the road.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 09:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by duigoose View Post
The guy is somewhat dillusional and can come up with some pretty outlandish things which is again why I would have felt stupid if he had been right this one time :-)

Still wouldn't mind hearing if the P1188 goes along with low power but as soon as I can get back over there to start diagnosis I will. The acutal owner is going to be a little upset if this car has sat for a long time because the guy said it will kill the engine if it is started.....
Thanks much so far and I won't leave the thread hanging (that is my pet peeve), whatever this is might help someone down the road.
Lol I think he kinda did leave the thread "hanging". Lol
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Nope, not hanging just nothing new yet. Its a messed up story but the owner wants me to fix it but everything I say is contradicted by "well HE said blah blah blah" and I refuse to work that way so....
When there is something to say, I'll say it.
If I throw up my hands and walk away, I'll say that too.
Busted_PT and rob342 like this.
Old 24 Jun 2014, 01:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This should be interesting... stocking up on the popcorn!
Old 24 Jun 2014, 07:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by duigoose View Post
Nope, not hanging just nothing new yet. Its a messed up story but the owner wants me to fix it but everything I say is contradicted by "well HE said blah blah blah" .
Just say, "Well then why didn't HE fix it if he was so smart?"
duigoose likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles