PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Cooler Casting Failure Causing Hate and Discontent

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2014, 10:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Oil Cooler Casting Failure Causing Hate and Discontent

Hello Everyone, My name is Nien and I am new to this forum and to the PT Cruiser owners group. I have an 03 2.4L Turbo and after routine service which I do myself, I noticed about 1/4 cup of oil on my shop floor the next morning. Thinking I may have spun on the new filter with a stuck old oil filter oring on the cooler face. No that wasnt it. I finished the service with a check of coolant and notice coolant had oil in it. Like mud thick. Panicking I pull the oil stick but the oil was clean as when I put it in. I flushed the radiator and engine block. Filled it back to normal and took it for a run around the block. Came back, had lunch and when I came back out. Oil on the floor again. After investigating this is what I found.

The oil cooler that is between the filter and the engine block failed. When the engine is running and the oil PSI increases, oil was being forced through the failed casting and into the coolant running through the cooler (dumbass design). The coolant PSI was never greater than the oil PSI so no coolant seeped into the oil side of the cooler UNTIL I let the car set and the coolant pressure from being baked in the sun rose above the O psi of the non-running engine.

I took the coolant lines off the cooler and spliced them together with a prestone flush T. With new oil and filter I took it for a drive. Came back and pull stick, no coolant in oil, opened radiator cap, no oil in coolant.
Went inside for about 10 min. and came back out and there was oil on my floor dripping out of the coolant line inlet and outlet of the oil cooler.

My question is (yeah I know finally) Can I remove the oil cooler part of the assy and screw the filter directly to the right angle plate? The cooler part unbolts by loosening the filter threads stand off and the cooler fins part is removed.
Can I run my gt with the coolant lines spliced together and the failed oil cooler fins removed?
If I had the $100.00 plus to buy a new oem cooler assy. I wouldnt be asking this, but I have 3 sets of twins and triplets and this is our only ride.
Thanks for any response, hopefully quick ones, so we can get back on the road before grandmas cupboards are all bear.
pappasmurf likes this.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 06:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Cooler Casting Failure Causing Hate and Discontent

Capt, welcome to the forum.

I tried doing a search, came up with a lot of good pictures but you know how it all goes together. It DOES look like, if the oil cooler was removed, the oil filter would go directly into the plate BUT, the Turbo PT's are the only ones with the oil cooler. My N/A filter goes directly into the plate and there's no lines going to the engine. Those lines do a specific purpose in keeping parts of the engine and the oil itself cooler (you probably already knew that) as the Turbo engine runs extremely hot. Bypassing the filter, in my opinion, is not a good idea. I'm pretty sure it would run (how long?) but Chrysler wouldn't have added the cooler to the Turbo if it didn't need it.

I'm no expert and would wait further for others with more knowledge on that particular subject to come along with more answers.

Old 16 Jun 2014, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Chrysler seems to like this type of cooler? It is on other Chrysler power plants and in many cases can be by-passed without fluid level temperature increases. Theses factory coolers have been known to fail like you described. However on a Turbo charged engine during boost the fluid temperatures raise quickly and those fluid temperatures need the extra cooling capacity. So you may need to add an addition aftermarket fluid cooler to compensate for by-passing and removal of the OEM cooler?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 16 Jun 2014, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I thought the purpose was to cool the oil?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jun 2014, 04:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I thought the purpose was to cool the oil?
Oil is a fluid, the water goes through them cooling the oil.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 16 Jun 2014, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Oil Cooler Casting Failure Causing Hate and Discontent

Thanks everyone for the quick response. Hey Nitro PT are those pictures an aftermarket cooler?? I don't see where the oil inlet and outlet ports. Unless that is an air cooled oil cooler which does not really apply to the dumbass design of the water jacket type oil cooler on the PT Turbos. On my 03 there is a right angle flange (14) coming off the engine block with a oil inlet and outlet for oil. The cooling section (35) which has a coolant in and out port is then attached to that part.
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/i...e/i2198771.jpg

I'm no rocket scientist, but does that 2 inches of water jacket with coolant flowing through it really help cool the oil enough to prevent engine failure? It seems that Chryslers reason for the cooler is to compensate for their design flaws in their turbo cooler.

My mistake Nitro PT, that is a coolant jacket type oil cooler in your pics. I jumped the gun due to the coolant and oil ports being inline (position wised)

Last edited by Capt; 16 Jun 2014 at 06:23 pm. Reason: Im an idiot
Old 16 Jun 2014, 06:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

These are commonly used on a few application not just fir PTs or Chrysler model vehicles. BMW has a few models that use a Chrysler engine and they have them as well.
IMO removing them and installing a aftermarket oil or some fluid cooler yields better overall heat control.

The engineering reason for them is to control heat flash caused by Super Charged or Turbo Charged engines during boost levels. They are small but it seems someone along the designing draft board thought they worked? A few of us Data logged fluid temperatures before and after removing them and found no difference.

The one in the picture I posted I keep to show what I tend to recommend removing.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 16 Jun 2014, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Here here, Bravo bravo, Kudos, whatever phrase you want to use I agree with you 100%. Now this is my next question. I've researched a bit (no alot) for an aftermarket oil cooler, but have not seen a water jacket type cooler just air cooled type. If this is the option, where would I mount the cooling core part, behind the engine on the firewall where there is no airflow? on top of the existing cooler in front of the radiator?
I used to be a 450hp Honda B20a in a 88 Accord Hatchback Guy. First to do it and still own the fastest one around.(just cant drive it because I have kids now) But this PT technology is new to me until I can read up and apply more.
Come on all you new generation motorheads what are my options
Old 16 Jun 2014, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you look under the car around where that cooler was, you should see an air cooled power steering cooler. Maybe someplace around where that cooler is, you could mount an air cooled oil filter.

Old 16 Jun 2014, 10:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

2004 GT Turbo Oil Cooler

Quite a bit of info and discussion on the factory oil cooler ^^^

You could buy this:

https://darrellcoxracing.com/shop/bo...ig-filter-kit/