Clutch damage, + more??

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 2 Post By xwing777

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2014, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clutch damage, + more??

Hello everyone! I just recently purchased an '03 Turbo, 5 speed Manual, with the knowledge that the clutch needed help. Its been taken apart, and the photos show what has been found (descriptions describe the photo, so 1 is for photo number 1.

1 note the center whole destruction
2 warn splines and silver grinding upper left
3 close up of warn splines
4 damaged center pieces and circular rust spots on bottom
5 note shifted whole near center right

Any thoughts? What should I buy (both parts, and NAME BRAND recommendations)
Old 23 Jul 2014, 07:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Clutch damage, + more??

Looks like the input shaft has bad bearing causing it to wobble. The flywheel is a dual mass made by sachs and will cost around $400.

There are cheaper kits online for the clutch/pressure plate for about $200 with throwout bearing.

IMO i would let a transmission shop go through the transmission to see what all needs to be replaced as these getraggs are getting hard to find now.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 09:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you very much for the super fast response!!
What are the differences in quality with the cheaper kits? Any kits to avoid??
Old 23 Jul 2014, 11:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well you usally get what you pay for but on the PT unless you are gonna pound it into the ground most will work but like xwing said have a shop go throught it it may save you a ton of headaches down the road
Old 24 Jul 2014, 01:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

a couple things about this..

about the choice of clutch.... anyone that put an unsprung disk in an otherwise stock PT does not know what they're doing, likely got it off ebay, and fully intended to beat the piss out of it.

there's always a possibility everything is fine with the trans and the flywheel is not spinning true due to a bent crank or a loose,damaged, or incorrectly mounted flex plate or flywheel. its possible the clutch disk/input shaft is spinning straight and true, but the clutch diaphram and flywheel are wobbling

you should wiggle and rotate the input shaft to see if there is play meaning the bearing is shot, or if the shaft is bent. don't forget to inspect the flex plate as well to see if it spins true.

if the input bearing went bad it will affect the gear mesh and may have worn the gears and synchros in a bad way. because it was spinning off center, the input shaft may be now be off balance, and if so, it will need to be replaced. if the bearing is good make sure the shaft spins true or it will need to be replaced.

if you do find a problem with the trans, the link below is the service manual for the trans. page 52 is where you can find info about your t-850 trans if you feel like looking for the damage yourself instead of paying an expert. i'd expect you'll find a lot of carnage and the money you save can be put towards a replacement trans. if the trans is fine, keep searching until you find out what exactly is wobbling

http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/m...8F_NV_T350.pdf
cruserdad1976 likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 24 Jul 2014 at 01:40 pm.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What would you (any of you) recommend to buy for a STREET use Clutch kit = OEM or BETTER!! Thanks again for your help, PTP (PT People)
Old 24 Jul 2014, 07:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

He said turbo 5 speed, completely different animal than the non turbo. Its a getragg 288 transmission.

Unsprung clutch is the correct one. Turbo have a dual mass flywheel that is also completely different than non turbos.

If your going to stay stock levels then you would be fine getting the stock sachs kit from rockauto @ $166.79

You can order the flywheel here for $368 5062017AC Mopar NONE FLYWHEEL $357.65 OR do what i do, print it out and see if local dealer will price match (mine does and all it took was to ask.

There is a company that offers a conversation kit so you can run the normal flywheel/clutch combo but no one has been brave enough to try them out to see if they work correctly.
rob342 and 4drturbo like this.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 11:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
if you do find a problem with the trans, the link below is the service manual for the trans. page 52 is where you can find info about your t-850 trans if you feel like looking for the damage yourself instead of paying an expert. i'd expect you'll find a lot of carnage and the money you save can be put towards a replacement trans. if the trans is fine, keep searching until you find out what exactly is wobbling
T-850 is in the SRT-4 Neon, not the PT GT.

Looks like your splines on the input shaft are grounded down. You will need a new input shaft, which means your input shaft needs to come out of your gearset and all your gears pressed off and back on the new one. I would have a transmission shop double check that, get better pictures of it with a flash and show them. OR if you can haul the entire transmission show it to them personally. Go with what xwing said. Also replace the slave cylinder too. I honestly never could find the master cylinder on my PT GT, not sure where that thing is located or how it is set up. But I do know the slave is in the case and has a weird bleed procedure.

Good luck man, quite a bit of $$$$ ahead. :/

Last edited by 4drturbo; 24 Jul 2014 at 11:15 pm.
Old 06 Aug 2014, 12:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you one and all for the suggestions, links, and help!!!
Got the Sachs kit, then had to look ALL OVER the place for the Flywheel, because I THOUGHT that $357 was a lot of money. Fool that I am!!!

XXwing777, thank you for the link! Price ended up being 368, but couple hundred less than most places that had it. Rock Auto didnt.

Once again, thank you, one and all!!!

Tags
clutch, transmission