Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tune Up for 2005 GT Turbo conv.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2014, 07:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Tune Up for 2005 GT Turbo conv.

Hi I'm new with turbo them and wanted to do a tune up to know what spark plug and recommend gap, wire put them and the type of gasoline should I use, thank you:bum

Last edited by Laranapr; 24 Jul 2014 at 08:02 pm.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tune Up for 2005 GT Turbo conv.

"Hi I'm new with turbo them and wanted to do a tune up to know burgias I recommend gap put them"

WHAT?

If Interpret correctly, I read tune up - plugs and wires.
Gap - start at 0.040
If you get a plug socket with a swivel at the end, you can change plugs without taking intake off (I've done it on aluminum and plastic intakes).

gas- highest octane for a GT.
4drturbo and Laranapr like this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Jul 2014, 11:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

LOL good luck getting plugs 2 and 3 our without taking the upper intake manifold off. Yeah a swivel would be needed:

Laranapr likes this.
Old 24 Jul 2014, 11:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Nice pictures

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Jul 2014, 11:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drturbo View Post
LOL good luck getting plugs 2 and 3 our without taking the upper intake manifold off. Yeah a swivel would be needed:

You beat me to the post and pictures.

Here is what I started to post and than was called to dinner

He has a turbo I believe you would find it to be a composite intake. Unless someone can show a picture of how you got a normal unmodified plug socket to clear the one cylinder that is obstructed by the intake, than the manifold must be removed to get access to all the spark plugs. Swivel in this case would not have helped. the plug socket itself is just to long.

I would like to know myself for future reference. I know that I trim the intake re-enforcing rib on some track PTs for pit plug changes between runs and a modified plug socket. But it is still easier and safer to remove the upper intake.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Jul 2014 at 11:59 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I used a plug socket that had a swivel end - it was not a separate swivel.

Sure beat taking off intake and risking introducing an intake leak.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Jul 2014, 08:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I used a plug socket that had a swivel end - it was not a separate swivel.

Sure beat taking off intake and risking introducing an intake leak.
Don you are sure that it is a Turbo composite and not NA. They are slightly different. Most swivel end sockets are longer so I am not sure how that worked? Also I seem to remember that you use the small pugs that need a thin wall or modified socket

I just would like to see how you did this without a modified socket. And also I would like clarity so other members reading your response won't follow it and damage their engine if your information is inaccurate?

We are to be sure talking about the the TURBO composite and NOT the NA intake manifold.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 25 Jul 2014 at 09:53 am.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Lynn, just a question. I can see by your pictures that there shouldn't be enough room to pick the plug and socket up but what if the swivel socket was just used to un-tighten the plug, taken off and then the plug could be taken out by hand?
Would that work? I know when I change plugs I try and start and loosely tighten the plugs down and only use the socket for the last couple of turns ...but I have the non-turbo.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 10:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Lynn, just a question. I can see by your pictures that there shouldn't be enough room to pick the plug and socket up but what if the swivel socket was just used to un-tighten the plug, taken off and then the plug could be taken out by hand?
Would that work? I know when I change plugs I try and start and loosely tighten the plugs down and only use the socket for the last couple of turns ...but I have the non-turbo.
I have 15 (counted) plug sockets ranging from shorties from snap-on (motorcycle specialty)to the over the counter everyone has one socket. Withouut forcing a socket into the tube and assuming that the stock mounting brackets are all in place without grinding an angle of a plug socket just for this procedure or after removing the intake and grinding off the rib you can not remove that plug without risk of damaging something.

The NA composite does not have the same obstruction as on a Turbo composite intake manifold?

Now if a picture is shown how this was accomplished or perhaps naming the brand tool or where it was sold say Harbor Freight that is normally not a uncommon spark plug socket even with a swivel head that can clear the rib on the intake and slip down the spark plug tube.

Personally I would like to see the the brand tool that can work it would help not only myself but many with the Turbo Composite intake? As of now I still remove the intake for the spark plug changes until I buy a spare plug socket to modify for future use.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 25 Jul 2014 at 10:42 am.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 10:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok just got off the phone with my Snap-On salesman and he said that an S&K swivel plug socket is slightly shorter than other brands. So I ordered one and will try it?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN