PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 gt totaled, swap everything to 05 na????

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2014, 01:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default 03 gt totaled, swap everything to 05 na????

well on the 16th I swerved to miss a deer and went to get back in my lane and front passenger tire caught the edge of the pavement and despite my efforts of trying to get it back on the road the laws of physics kicked in and gravity just wouldn't let me and went into a 10 foot ditch and smacked a telephone pole, it didn't help that i was on a steep curve either. I was still able to drive it home but it is done for. everything is still in running condition as I was able to drive it home with no problems and still start it up from time to time. my question is. I have a 2005 non turbo 5 speed. the 2003 was automatic. what I want to do is swap engines. I know this has been discussed before but im doing it as I cant let 3000$ plus the 800$ worth of engines repairs iv done to the thing along the way. my only concern is with the computer as i plan on not using the automatic that was in the gt and plan on sticking with my 5 speed. i know ill need to upgrade the clutch and swap the pcm and harness and cluster and intercooler and piping, radiator and fan. will i run into issues with me using my na 5 speed transmission(i don't mean reliability issues as ill be upgrading the clutch) with the turbo engine that is auto. can i get by with using the 03 pcm in the 05? we will be swapping the skim and ignition also. i just don't know how the computer will react to the 5 speed or will i need a 03 or 05 mtx computer? if i can use the 03 pcm from the turbo and get by with it then all should be quite easy and doable. if the only thing its going to do is throw a cel, with me using the 03 auto pcm in my 05 then im not worried about it as long as it runs. this wont be happening for a while as im not working right now but definitely will be done. hope this was the right spot to post this. sorry for the long post. just trying to get everything in order. if i have to find a different pcm no problem, i got time. if i don't have to get a mtx gt pcm then ill be a happy camper.

all help is appreciated. id like to keep my turbo going as i drove to Detroit to pick it up feb 28th. plus itd be cool to turn my na into a turbo gt. plus insurance will still be cheaper then the gt since its registered as a base model
iv already swapped the rims and tail lights and working on the rear axle to make my 05 disc brakes in the rear and working on swapping the rear suspension over. i plan on using everything i can off my gt. check out the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140716_001.jpg (94.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140716_002.jpg (90.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140716_003.jpg (97.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140716_004.jpg (93.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140716_005.jpg (94.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140716_006.jpg (99.7 KB, 20 views)
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.

Last edited by jrbsr05pt; 26 Jul 2014 at 01:20 am.
Old 26 Jul 2014, 08:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 gt totaled, swap everything to 05 na????

You can buff that out...

Seriously -
There have been 2 forum members that did similar tasks - 1 converted an auto to manual, and another converted an N/A to turbo.
The good news is both are pre-'06 - if one was '06 or later, you'd really be challenged.
If I understand you, you want to keep the N/A manual trans? That will be the hardest part. I don't know compatibility or how computer would react.

If I were you, I'd change timing belt and other belts on the turbo engine while it's out as it ought to be easier...
LionPT likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Jul 2014, 09:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post

You can buff that out...

Seriously -
There have been 2 forum members that did similar tasks - 1 converted an auto to manual, and another converted an N/A to turbo.
The good news is both are pre-'06 - if one was '06 or later, you'd really be challenged.
If I understand you, you want to keep the N/A manual trans? That will be the hardest part. I don't know compatibility or how computer would react.

If I were you, I'd change timing belt and other belts on the turbo engine while it's out as it ought to be easier...
the whole strut tower in engine bay is shifted inwards lol. and correct, id like to keep my na stick. and that timing belt and water pump is part of the 800$ i put into it when i got it
itll be quite a task but WILL get done in time. i just needed to hear its doable lol. if we cant get the na tranny to work, we may throw the auto in but id prefer to keep my manual trans.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 26 Jul 2014, 09:52 am
Veteran Cruiser

on other cars i've swapped to manual, i've been able to take the TRS(the what gear you're in sensor) off the trans's to keep it hooked up on the car. I let the car think it was in park. that way they would start and you could remove the key. one problem with the PT is you have the TCM and the switch. if you do manage to get the car to start, it may be stuck in limp mode, or it may be stuck with the lower rev limit that the car has in neutral/park(if turbos have that feature)

you could sell off parts of the wreck, and buy a manual ECU. then you'll need to sort out the neutral safety switch wiring. instead of 2 wires like a normal car, my 2002 sensor has 8 wires.

sounds like you're ambitious about the mechanical end of it. can you handle the wiring part?

on another note, hey you say it runs now....
1-disconnect ONLY the TCM connector and see if it still starts. if it does, see if you can get it to redline, or if you hit a limiter
2-disconnect the TRS and see if it still starts. if not, remove the TRS from the trans and see if you can connect with it removed from the trans to make the car run.
if you can get it to run like this, see if it will rev to redline. if it won't rev high, move the lever on the TRS and then see if it will rev high. it should.

Last edited by rob342; 26 Jul 2014 at 11:18 am.
Old 26 Jul 2014, 01:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
on other cars i've swapped to manual, i've been able to take the TRS(the what gear you're in sensor) off the trans's to keep it hooked up on the car. I let the car think it was in park. that way they would start and you could remove the key. one problem with the PT is you have the TCM and the switch. if you do manage to get the car to start, it may be stuck in limp mode, or it may be stuck with the lower rev limit that the car has in neutral/park(if turbos have that feature)

you could sell off parts of the wreck, and buy a manual ECU. then you'll need to sort out the neutral safety switch wiring. instead of 2 wires like a normal car, my 2002 sensor has 8 wires.

sounds like you're ambitious about the mechanical end of it. can you handle the wiring part?

on another note, hey you say it runs now....
1-disconnect ONLY the TCM connector and see if it still starts. if it does, see if you can get it to redline, or if you hit a limiter
2-disconnect the TRS and see if it still starts. if not, remove the TRS from the trans and see if you can connect with it removed from the trans to make the car run.
if you can get it to run like this, see if it will rev to redline. if it won't rev high, move the lever on the TRS and then see if it will rev high. it should.

the majority of the work will be done at gearhead auto and customz here in Columbus, guy that always works on both my pt's. Gearhead Auto & Customz that's his website. he's a smart guy lol so whatever i cant do im sure he will be able to figure out and accomplish and like i said if i cant get my na stick to work i guess we'll just stick with the auto. im up at my parents house right now in Columbus. i live 2+ hours south in west union and i don't have internet down there yet so it may seem iv left this thread hanging but ill be constantly checking on it. lol so when i get back down there ill do what you said but i do believe the gt's do also have the rev limit in park. keep the advice coming. any and all help is appreciated. does anyone have a diagram or pic of the tcm connector? so i know what to disconnect? I've never tried something like this but I've always said if something happens to the body, the engine will still be used, its clean, runs strong and plus has 50k less miles then my na engine lol. i was looking on ebay and found a 03 gt pcm for manual with the skim and key for 200$ something so its not a bad price if we can get it to work

Old 26 Jul 2014, 01:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

just caught my curiosity....... what's "na" on the TT--03 gt totaled, swap everything to 05 na????
Old 26 Jul 2014, 01:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

here is some pics of the engine bay so you can see where the strut tower is more in now and if you look you can see my radiator is off center. plus the rad fan, check that out where the dipstick is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140717_001.jpg (96.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140717_002.jpg (98.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140717_003.jpg (95.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140717_004.jpg (97.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140717_005.jpg (101.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140717_015.jpg (98.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140717_016.jpg (89.5 KB, 9 views)

Old 26 Jul 2014, 01:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColTED View Post
just caught my curiosity....... what's "na" on the TT--03 gt totaled, swap everything to 05 na????
naturally aspirated. non turbo, base model?

Old 26 Jul 2014, 01:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbsr05pt View Post
naturally aspirated. non turbo, base model?
Was just thinking about the SKIM module and computer programming

If you take the ECM, Skim module and key, or the complete steering column would the ecm still need programed
except for the VIN and mileage
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 26 Jul 2014, 02:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Was just thinking about the SKIM module and computer programming

If you take the ECM, Skim module and key, or the complete steering column would the ecm still need programed
except for the VIN and mileage
nope. no programing needed if i switch it all over. and mileage will still be correct as im swapping clusters also