Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What's the expected MPG of the 2008 model with the turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2014, 11:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default What's the expected MPG of the 2008 model with the turbo

What's the expected MPG of the 2008 model with the turbo? I seem to be getting about 21mpg,...but the 97 Riviera I traded in on it had a 3800 V6 (with Supercharger),...old, beat up, with 199k miles and I got 25mpg with it. So I expected to do much better with the PT having a 4cyl with a turbo. Shouldn't I be getting better than 25mpg? I'm driving same roads, routes, conditions, etc.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 11:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What's the expected MPG of the 2008 model with the turbo

you are there the 2.4 is under powered the body is a brink in the wind some and i say some say they get in the high 20's i get 21/22 and yes it is lower than it should be but its a cruser and its cool adn it makes a person smile when they see it parked in a lot
Old 28 Aug 2014, 12:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwindell View Post
What's the expected MPG of the 2008 model with the turbo? I seem to be getting about 21mpg,...but the 97 Riviera I traded in on it had a 3800 V6 (with Supercharger),...old, beat up, with 199k miles and I got 25mpg with it. So I expected to do much better with the PT having a 4cyl with a turbo. Shouldn't I be getting better than 25mpg? I'm driving same roads, routes, conditions, etc.
You can't compare other vehicles unless you compare them completely.i.e. CG,weight. power plant out put. transmission type, gear ration, tire size etc. It like comparing oranges to taco's. Your other car examples are not technically the same in many ways comparing them to the PT Cruiser.

If you are getting 25mpg than that is good. Don't really expect an average better.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Aug 2014, 12:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
What's the expected MPG of the 2008 model with the turbo? I seem to be getting about 21mpg.
The average seems to be 19-23mpg...some get as low as 16 & some say they get mid 30's...but most don't see anything over 23.
Myself, I get 21 in my 2006 non-turbo.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 28 Aug 2014, 01:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi folks,
Thanks for the quick replies.

@cruserdad1976
True,...it isn't very "aero". Although with the turbo it shouldn't be so much under powered, it actually feels much better than a non-turbo of a friend that I drove. Anyway, it looks like we're getting the same mileage though,...I assume yours is a turbo too?

@NitroPT
Yea there is the apples-to-oranges thing, however the old car is way bigger, heavier, more "wear & tear", with 200k miles on it, and in every way should be way worse than the PT. Yet that old car got 25mpg (with the AC on or off) -vs- the PT's 21mpg (AC on).

Anyway, it seems the consensus is that what I get is pretty much normal,....although very disappointing.

I can't imagine anyone getting only 16 MPG with it unless something is really wrong with it. I have a full size 4x4 truck, large V8, with large mud tires on it that gets 17 MPG.

I did notice that sometimes (not always) it has a hesitation in it when pulling away from a stop at idle, particularly on a real hot & humid day with the AC on. Maybe I can get that checked and maybe get lucky that it will help a couple MPG. Is the turbo model known to need better gas (mid-grade or premium?),...I'm just using regular. I haven't seen it written anywhere but I wasn't really looking for that earlier.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Hi folks,

@NitroPT
Yea there is the apples-to-oranges thing, however the old car is way bigger, heavier, more "wear & tear", with 200k miles on it, and in every way should be way worse than the PT. Yet that old car got 25mpg (with the AC on or off) -vs- the PT's 21mpg (AC on).

Anyway, it seems the consensus is that what I get is pretty much normal,....although very disappointing.

I can't imagine anyone getting only 16 MPG with it unless something is really wrong with it. I have a full size 4x4 truck, large V8, with large mud tires on it that gets 17 MPG.

I did notice that sometimes (not always) it has a hesitation in it when pulling away from a stop at idle, particularly on a real hot & humid day with the AC on. Maybe I can get that checked and maybe get lucky that it will help a couple MPG. Is the turbo model known to need better gas (mid-grade or premium?),...I'm just using regular. I haven't seen it written anywhere but I wasn't really looking for that earlier.
Well your seem to be new to a PT and have not looked up what specification over the years and the mileage estimate set by Chrysler.

BTW your PT Curb weight: 3404 lb. Your old Buick was 3720 lbs. that is only 320lbs more that's it!
Mileage is NOT a determining factor in MPG if the mechanical condition of the engine is well. I could site examples all day ...
The Buick had a more power to wight producing V-6 PT is a 4 cylinder.'As for your 4x4 you didn't say what is was my guess it will be the final drive ratio that is the factor for the MPG on that.

As I said you are comparing Oranges to Taco's NOT apples that would at least be close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion7718 View Post
The average seems to be 19-23mpg...some get as low as 16 & some say they get mid 30's...but most don't see anything over 23.
Myself, I get 21 in my 2006 non-turbo.
No one is getting average mid 30's mpg if they say than they flunked math in elementary school.
I "call" anyone claiming that!

I did a quick look at the logs we calculate by hand at each fill up. From 4/24 -8/24 we used 91 gallons of fuel. With small trips and average all around highway and city that makes it 24 mpg.
2005 GT PT Cruiser with a DST 91 tune. That in itself i should be getting less than estimated MPG. I would have to look at the logs from a year ago before the Performance PCM Calibration.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Aug 2014, 03:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
No one is getting average mid 30's mpg if they say than they flunked math in elementary school.
That's why I said 'some say'...and you did call him out on it...

Old 28 Aug 2014, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=pwindell;536364]Hi folks,

@cruserdad1976
True,...it isn't very "aero". Although with the turbo it shouldn't be so much under powered, it actually feels much better than a non-turbo of a friend that I drove. Anyway, it looks like we're getting the same mileage though,...I assume yours is a turbo too?

No mine is a Non Turbo 2006 with close to 180xxx it kind of lives on the interstate with either the A/C or Heater on and usally once a week it will haul about 400# of horse feed home It will run between 21-23 mpg it really depends on if im running into the wind or with the wind
Yes I wish it was a turbo 5 spped it would bee more fun
Old 28 Aug 2014, 03:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'm not sure how many here have read this, but there is some interesting info...

Quote:
The PT Cruiser is a front-wheel drive 5-passenger vehicle, classified as a truck in the U.S. by the NHTSA for CAFE fuel economy calculations but as a car by most other metrics. Chrysler specifically designed the PT Cruiser to fit the NHTSA criteria for a light truck in order to bring the average fuel efficiency of the company's light truck fleet into compliance with CAFE standards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_PT_Cruiser

Old 28 Aug 2014, 04:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Coming from someone who has a bone stock non tweaked engine just as it came from the factory, my '05 (with just me in the car) gets pretty much 24-25 average with hitting 30+ on the highway. I have done many highway trips in this car and it always seems to hold really close to that. I generally don't romp on it and tend to keep steady speeds, that helps a lot (plus I'm patient with hills, don't force the car up at high speeds.)
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock

Tags
mpg, mpg issues, mpg loss