PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Best Exhaust

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2014, 10:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Best Exhaust

So I have been going back and forth with exhaust. i want something that sounds nice and not like a rice car. I see the Borla Dual 2.5" and the BTG Duals and I cant seem to figure out what to do.
i have a 2005 PT GT Turbo mostly stock for now. Just the BOV "Noise Maker" (my daughter likes it lol) and I have the hard pipes upper and lower that have to be installed.
What would be the best sound and performance would be OK.
Thanks !!
Old 17 Sep 2014, 11:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Best Exhaust

Re: Best Exhaust
If I answer this as asked...
*2.5 piping Keep the CAT. A Cherry Bomb glass pack , Porter , magnaflow or Dynomax for best CFM flow. The Porter kicks arse on the sound out of all of them.
I have used them all!
You can get add a down pipe for even more flow and increase in engine output..

If you are just wanting the sound effect than wait for other to post their thoughts about that.

I tend to build exhaust system for best CFM and developing more power output from the engine.

*use as little bends as possible and always try to use mandrel bent pipe.

Oh and 3" exhaust and cut outs kill low end power on a street car with engine speeds under about 5,000rpm.

2.5 CAT back Cherry Bomb glass pack tail pipe dumped 45* in front of the rear axle. It is sorta stealth but works for me in sound and performance.

The only downside to this set up is when occasionally need to go off road in the dirt. Blows the dust everywhere.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Sep 2014, 06:35 am
Young Cruiser

i am looking for something to increase CFM. I have looked into the down pipes, not really worried about the cat less part except when it comes to check engine lights. I want an exhaust that will help the car not make noise.
So you are saying that a cat less 3" exhaust with a down pipe would be the way to go??
Old 18 Sep 2014, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker05 View Post
i am looking for something to increase CFM. I have looked into the down pipes, not really worried about the cat less part except when it comes to check engine lights. I want an exhaust that will help the car not make noise.
So you are saying that a cat less 3" exhaust with a down pipe would be the way to go??
No that is not what I said.

In the video I have a factory exhaust manifold with CAT, than a 2.5 pipe into a glasspack with a turn down tail pipe.

A downpipe will help a little under full throttle but will do very little normal driving. Removing the CAT only causes tuning issues and will make the exhaust noise loader. The gain in removing a CAT on a 2.4 is only 1-3 hp sp it is not worth removing it.

So I recommend to leave the stock exhaust manifold and CAT and build a system from the CAT back. A good muffler shop that does Performance systems can build one even with a tail section out the rear bumper single tail for around 450-500.

The important thing is to use only choose one of the the mufflers I suggested , no larger then 2.5 i.d. pipe and try to stay with mandrel bent pipes for none straight sections.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Sep 2014, 09:36 am
Young Cruiser

o ok I understand now thanks I reread what you said before and i read it wrong. I think that i will take a trip to the shop this weekend and see what they can do.
Old 18 Sep 2014, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker05 View Post
o ok I understand now thanks I reread what you said before and i read it wrong. I think that i will take a trip to the shop this weekend and see what they can do.
You now will go to the shop as an informed customer! Be cautious of some shops switching muffler types to the brand they carry (and make the highest profit) and also claiming that bending pipe will not harm CFM!

For the "techies" or DIY modders that may be thinking other thoughts?
The 2.4 @6000 WOT 100% VE =aprox.254CFM. Boosted factor stock Turbocharger est.+30%=330. This actually means that a straight pipe with i.d. of 2.25 is enough. But in the real world with fudge factors all over 2.50 straight pipe will flow aprox.509cfm. Fudge factor for muffler and bends st.-25%=381cfm. Approximately

Now I need to get back to my ship...

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Sep 2014, 10:56 am
Young Cruiser

thanks for the information !!! lol
Old 18 Sep 2014, 11:24 am
Senior Cruiser

I have not bought from these guys...YET, but I don't think your local shop will be able to compete with a 2.5" mandrel bent STAINLESS exhaust with Borla or Magnaflow muffler including hangars and clamps etc., for $345.

I will likely go with the magnaflow when I place my order.

01-09 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER EXHAUST - BOLT ON - (304 STAINLESS - 2.5 IN)
NitroPT likes this.
Old 18 Sep 2014, 12:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

borla no MAGNAFLOW yes!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Sep 2014, 11:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I like the BTG design better - the exhaust is split by a "Y" and gets damn near equal exhaust to left and right, where the Borla has all exhaust on left, then sends some over to right.
Also the BTG is true flow-thru - you can look thru each piece.
Nice, deep sound (to me), but I encourage you to listen before you buy.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles