Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is there really a 5HP gain...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2004, 10:41 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Is there really a 5HP gain...

from installing a AMX1397 Brand X Turbo Down Pipe as I have read or is it closer to a 2-3 HP improvement? It has been my impression that the majority of people who have installed this MOD did so for enhancement of their engine bay--looks cool--and not for better performance. [:I] Thanks.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 11:55 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I haven't dynoed the car with the X pipe, but in papers it is better than factory in other things:

1. Internal diameter. It is wider than the factory one. the factory although the same outside diameter, the inside it has baffles and rings limiting the internal diameter to 2" or less. This meand more air volume is availble for the turbo to ingest.

2. with the removal of the silencers and a K&N it becomes a realy low restriction intake. improving spool up times and turbo life, again, making the turbo breath better.

It is like sucking thru a coffee mixing straw and a "Slurpy" straw. Big diference.

In the HP making issue, I am skeptict because the PCM will learn the changes and adjust accordingly. but it will make the car run better and it looks cool[?]

Ian
Old 26 Apr 2004, 12:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Frankly, have no experience with downpipes on piston engines. On the 3rd gen Mazda RX-7, the downpipe adds 15 hp per consistent dyno tests. I must say the Mazda exhaust system is very restrictive as the rotary is very dirty, so the system is designed to contain the exhaust to clean it up as much as possible.
\'05 Chevy 2500HD TurboDiesel
\'05 Suzuki SV650
Old 26 Apr 2004, 12:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

They are talking about a air box to turbo intake pipe not the exhaust down pipe.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 26 Apr 2004, 02:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

My K&N Typhoon airbox and tubes makes about 10 HP comparing on the same dyno and environmental settings!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 03:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Gary, I use the AMX airbox to turbo 3" piping. I now use the airaid box and keystone ramair hood. Even before that i used the amx1397 complete intake. Take my word for it, anything that you can do to unrestrict the input to the turbo charger or unrestrict the exhaust has a direct result on the operation of the turbocharger. Even if the PCM does adjust to it (which it will) the turbocharger will still spool up quicker and not have the turbocharger work as hard to supply the same amount of air to the throttlebody. Besides it looking good it is a performance enhancement even if it does not show in the HP rating on a dyno. I wish that I lived close enough to drive my cruiser and see for yourself, but you'll just have to take my word for it (If you want to that is)......
Old 26 Apr 2004, 04:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Drag strip times tell me the amx turbo to air box works and with a boostcontroller the PCM has not returned anything to stock, I ran stock down pipe 15.734 @84.48 mph. then installed the amxpipe then ran 15.345 @88.94 mph (no boost controller, drove all week, went to the track the next Friday still no BC, ran a 15.309 @89.40 next run was 15.193 @89.94 mph. Turned on the BC and first run was 14.85 @93.31 next run was 14.65@94.48 mph and for a 4 cyl that is hauling ass. I will be going back to the track in a week or so and from the way it has been running on the street for the last 3 weeks, it will be just as fast. Again the pcm has not reset anything. with amx's instruction I am running 18 lbs of boost and using the (free) tip mod.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 04:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

GT Blue, I am curious about the TIP Mod. Is it a disconnect or an adjustable restriction
Old 27 Apr 2004, 02:24 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

They are talking about a air box to turbo intake pipe not the exhaust down pipe.
[xx(] That's what I get for having the rotary background. "Header" would be what rotorheads call a downpipe, no?
\'05 Chevy 2500HD TurboDiesel
\'05 Suzuki SV650
Old 27 Apr 2004, 12:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jramosGT

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

[xx(] That's what I get for having the rotary background. "Header" would be what rotorheads call a downpipe, no?
Not sure what happens under the hood of a rotary (voodoo stuff) but the header or head pipe, it what comes off the head. In the case of the PT the header assembly is one big piece that containg the head pipe and the turbo housing and everything cast into one piece. The down pipe attaches to the exhuast side or this assembly.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come