PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Surprise!! Another exhaust question LOL

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Oct 2014, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Surprise!! Another exhaust question LOL

Im undecided on what to do with my 04 Turbo. Ive heard leaving a catalytic converter on the car and ditching the muffler all together isn't a bad sound. But Ive also read getting a catless downpipe and a nice Magnaflow muffler isn't bad either. Both had various pros and cons that Ive read.

If my car never goes above the Stage 1 pcm and maybe a manual boost controller in the future which of the two would you pick?

1. Catless downpipe and a magnaflow muffler

2.Catted downpipe and no muffler
Old 07 Oct 2014, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Surprise!! Another exhaust question LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanerwaner View Post
Im undecided on what to do with my 04 Turbo. Ive heard leaving a catalytic converter on the car and ditching the muffler all together isn't a bad sound. But Ive also read getting a catless downpipe and a nice Magnaflow muffler isn't bad either. Both had various pros and cons that Ive read.

If my car never goes above the Stage 1 pcm and maybe a manual boost controller in the future which of the two would you pick?

1. Catless downpipe and a magnaflow muffler

2.Catted downpipe and no muffler
First off it is illegal and irresponsible to run a car in the US CATless.
Not to mention the PCM does not like it. You would need to cheat the PCM so you will not get a DTC. The PCM reads information from the post H02.

Next is the noise factor. Unless you are 16 years old and need the attention of a loud car removing the CAT under WOT will surely get it for you?

And a manual boost controller...I guess you are a gambling type that enjoys driving your PT Cruiser, to use an analogy a hand grenade with the pin pulled?

Unless you thoroughly know what you are doing the use of a manual boost controller will cause only damage to your engine.

You may try using you tube for PT Cruiser with different exhaust that you find you like and read what they using for exhaust?

If you are looking for sound on your 04 Turbo that will be legal and not set of every car alarm when you drive by,
cut the stock system at the CAT run 2.5 back into either a Magnaflow, Porter, or Cheeri bomb into a single tail pipe.
soonercruiser likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 07 Oct 2014 at 01:21 pm.
Old 07 Oct 2014, 01:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ive built many many cars in the past... My last "performance" car I owned before this was a 1999 formula that I tinkered with, ls1 powered car...I did heads, cam ,stall converter, gears,headers, 150 shot, and all supporting mods....I tuned it with Ls1 edit... And it ran very well....Before that I owned several corvettes, a few ford lightnings.... To be 100% honest I have never owned a vehicle that I left the catalytic converters on....I have always removed them, call it irresponsible/illegal if you will. I was rewarded with a small performance increase but the tone of the exhaust greatly improved. I live in Oklahoma were there is Zero emmisions testing... This is shit kickerville, rolling coal diesel trucks, tractors,etc..lol- I have tuned around removing the cats on more than my fair share of vehicles.. I have a very knowledgable friend that is a eclipse/talon nut that is pushing around 600 hp in his gen 1 talon right now... His vote was to ditch the cat asap... But I know a eclipse platform and a pt cruiser are 2 different things so I figured Id ask here.... I dont want my car loud but I do want some nice tone and maybe a very small performance increase to go along with it....Just some ideas Im kicking around
Old 07 Oct 2014, 01:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This thread is what got me thinking of a MBC..yes im aware of risks, yes I know I have no wideband to monitor A/F...And I have no tuning software to change it if I could monitor it... This pt was dirt cheap and I own a few other vehicles..this pt is not my daily driver or sole means of transport. so if I make a misstep along the way and break something that's just a good reason to upgrade to bigger and better parts
DragSource.net - Iowa Street and Track Racing • View topic - MY CAR(2004 PT CRUISER 2.4L TURBO) AND I NEED HELP
Old 07 Oct 2014, 10:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

When I was young and dumb I also did my fair share of catalytic converter removal. Before there were such things I ran my fair share of straight pipes and exhaust cutouts.

I got my fair share of tickets for excessive exhaust noise too.

One day when I was about 25 I suddenly got tired of all that. I still like to go fast but found out that you can do that quietly.

I like to be able to sneak up on people now.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 08 Oct 2014, 12:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

the sound of a Flowmaste is a pretty special sound and a flowmaster on a big boy chevy is for sure uniques sound
Old 08 Oct 2014, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had a complete response and I accidentally deleted it.

Oh well, some of you probably know where it would have gone and what I was going to say anyway.

I do want to say that it is a FEDERAL crime in ALL US states to remove the CAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
the sound of a Flowmaste is a pretty special sound and a flowmaster on a big boy chevy is for sure uniques sound
They do sound nice but are the worst thing to ever put on a PT Cruiser.

WARNING: a manual boost controller should never be run on anything except a fully upgraded engine, Data Logging capabilities and full access to PCM calibration adjustments.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Oct 2014, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a straight-thru exhaust (cat-back) with a very deep sound:
Chrysler PT Cruiser BTG PT Cruiser Stainless Steel Dual Exhaust System

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Oct 2014, 07:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

on my 2001 hahn, i hollowed the cat, and added 2 shortie glass packs
man i loved the sound,, but it was a bit droneing on long trips,
my 2006 i have the stock exhaut, i have no desire to change it, and be back to droneing,
i do want the blow off sound though,
and ps mbc with out the proper gauges and hook ups, leads to blown motors,
blew my 2001 hahn up as i never installed the egt, and ran it lean enough to warp thehead, then suck out all the coolant and pop cylenders 2 and 3, and toast my 16g turbo, ehh 35k, not much to loose snifff i miss her
Old 15 Oct 2014, 08:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Surprise!! Another exhaust question LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
First off it is illegal and irresponsible to run a car in the US CATless.
Not to mention the PCM does not like it. You would need to cheat the PCM so you will not get a DTC. The PCM reads information from the post H02.

Next is the noise factor. Unless you are 16 years old and need the attention of a loud car removing the CAT under WOT will surely get it for you?

And a manual boost controller...I guess you are a gambling type that enjoys driving your PT Cruiser, to use an analogy a hand grenade with the pin pulled?

Unless you thoroughly know what you are doing the use of a manual boost controller will cause only damage to your engine.

You may try using you tube for PT Cruiser with different exhaust that you find you like and read what they using for exhaust?

If you are looking for sound on your 04 Turbo that will be legal and not set of every car alarm when you drive by,
cut the stock system at the CAT run 2.5 back into either a Magnaflow, Porter, or Cheeri bomb into a single tail pipe.
But....BUT....
Then you'd be driving around with a cherry bomb in your exhaust system!!!!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!