PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My impression of a manual boost controller

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2014, 04:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My impression of a manual boost controller

For 2 days now I have had my manual boost controller installed on my 2004 Pt touring..before install my cars boost would spike at 10-11 but would normally ride at around 8 when scooting around town. I locked in my manual boost controller at 10 scooting around town and spiking to 12ish under really hard acceleration....Pretty nice performance difference with a low cost initial investment. I don't know how far I should push it so I stop there LOL

PS- I know doing a MBC isn't a smart idea but it sure is fun for now
Old 15 Oct 2014, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My impression of a manual boost controller

What are you AFR's?
What is your IAT's?

If you can not even answer either of these you should not be using a MBC

Manual boost Control are dangerous to use especially when you have no way to alter the PCM calibration or at least watch what it is doing to your engine.

I am not sure why you think you feel the need to start a thread and post such irresponsible information without having all the the facts beside a feeling and "butt" dyno.

Some poor PT Cruiser owner may find your really BAD information and think that it is alright to use a Manual Boost Controller on their PT and not be as lucky as you are at this moment.

WARNING:

THE USE OF A MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER ON A PT CRUISER ENGINE CAN CAUSE CATASTROPHIC ENGINE DAMAGE

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Oct 2014, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your turbo PT could lead a very exciting, but brief, life...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Oct 2014, 05:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

People have been doing risky things in hot rodding for many many years... I like to read about people trying out new things ( not that a mbc is new) and having fun with there toys. It seems as if this place isn't the forum to talk about things openly. Seems as though every post I make I get attacked, even if my idea isn't popular doesn't mean I don't have the desire to talk about it with others that have done the same thing..Where do you think I got this idea...another PT forum...So in the future unless im doing a "nitropt" approved mod should I just save it?

Last edited by zanerwaner; 15 Oct 2014 at 05:48 pm.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't take an "attack" by Nitro personal. You are only one of many....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Oct 2014, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Seems as though keyboard warriors are a dime to a dozen these days. Im just a normal guy having fun with a toy I bought...not trying to mod it to perfection...not always gonna do it the "right" way sometimes. But since Im an adult I have the right to mess up anything I want and how I want. I bought and Ill be the one to pay the $$ and put in the time to fix it..I think a lot of the crap people put on these cruisers visually is ugly. But I don't jump into every thread people make, when they do an appearance mod and tell them it looks like a hat full of assholes
Old 15 Oct 2014, 07:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe before you call some members a "keyboard warrior" you might look around a bit.

Try at least reading my signature for starters.

You can talk about your idea's all you want, but if you are posting things that could potentially harm other's PT Cruisers that may want to copy your mod than be prepared to get things like this:

WARNING:

THE USE OF A MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER ON A PT CRUISER ENGINE CAN CAUSE CATASTROPHIC ENGINE DAMAGE

Also I see that you could not answer either of my 2 highly important questions about what your did?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 15 Oct 2014 at 07:40 pm.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 05:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was just going to ask about opinions on manual boost controllers. What's a safe psi with only a K&N typhoon intake and filter and a JET stage 1 power module. But of course I would have done a quick search to see if this questions been asked in the past. Winkwink.

But now I don't know if that's even a good question to ask. Don't want to be shunned for trying to gain knowledge....before I install anything.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 06:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

This post is from October 2014, but I also heard not to use the jet chips on the pt. It doesnt like them. Just from what Ive learned on here.

2003 Dream Cruiser #0794, MSD wires, MSD Box, Borla exhaust, K&N coldair intake, Rear fiberglass rollpan, Xenon side skirts, Rear window cover. Pinstriping on tailgate and hood.
Custom teardrop tailights, drilled/slotted rotors. Custom interior, boost gauge and wideband in A-pillar, lowered on Ebach adjustable coilovers, sway bars, and bushings. Diablosport Intune with modified 93 tune. AGP aftermarket wastegate. Fresh rebuilt engine with forged wiesco pistons bored. 020"over.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 06:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Also, I just made a post today about my Dream Cruiser having one on it, which was confirmed that I need to remove it as it can be dangerous. Ive read a bunch about the pt's not needing one due to the fact that the PCM controls the boost levels, which is why there is a "tune" or "stage 1 PCM" installed on the cruisers. So Just like Nitro has stated in October, it needs to be removed. Unless you have a tune that exempts the PCM controller. I even seen on the website that sells my BC state that there needs to be either a pcm calibration, or no BC is needed.

2003 Dream Cruiser #0794, MSD wires, MSD Box, Borla exhaust, K&N coldair intake, Rear fiberglass rollpan, Xenon side skirts, Rear window cover. Pinstriping on tailgate and hood.
Custom teardrop tailights, drilled/slotted rotors. Custom interior, boost gauge and wideband in A-pillar, lowered on Ebach adjustable coilovers, sway bars, and bushings. Diablosport Intune with modified 93 tune. AGP aftermarket wastegate. Fresh rebuilt engine with forged wiesco pistons bored. 020"over.