Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
IT'S NOT THE HEAD GASKET!! Update to Oil Cooler Hate and Discontent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2014, 06:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation IT'S NOT THE HEAD GASKET!! Update to Oil Cooler Hate and Discontent

Hey Everyone, this is Nien, sorry this has taken so long, but I wanted to wait and make sure there were no side effects from this re-engineering. Let me get right to it. There may be alot of you out there that have taken their PT turbo into the shop for a blown head gasket. Reasons being, white smoke from exhaust, oil residue, under radiator cap, possibly under the right conditions, water in the engine oil. Well don't be to quick to agree with the mechanic that the head gasket is blown. The 03 Turbos (not sure about others or non-turbo model) has a water cooled oil cooler that is located right where the oil filter is. In fact the oil filter screws onto the cooler. There seems to be a problem with the castings of these coolers which causes them to fail causing the 20 or 30 + psi of oil pressure to bleed into the 17 psi of the radiator coolant side. This happened to my PT and the following is 1)how I corrected this failure. 2) A brief description of what you are getting into and how to do it 3) information from Chrysler engineering buddy I met in a ford forum(who sent some pretty nifty test results) and 4) 30,000 miles of proof that some things are over engineered from the getgo. This post is going to be quite long, so if anyone is interested(give me a response) and the MODS approve. I will take the time to post it in whichever forum is deemed by the MODS appropriate. Dang I'm glad I looked long and hard at this OEM KNOWN FAILURE but not discussed failure.
Old 14 Dec 2014, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: IT'S NOT THE HEAD GASKET!! Update to Oil Cooler Hate and Discontent

Most frequent reason to look for a blown head gasket is overheating - which, you didn't have in your case, correct?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Dec 2014, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
Hey Everyone, this is Nien, sorry this has taken so long, but I wanted to wait and make sure there were no side effects from this re-engineering. Let me get right to it. There may be alot of you out there that have taken their PT turbo into the shop for a blown head gasket. Reasons being, white smoke from exhaust, oil residue, under radiator cap, possibly under the right conditions, water in the engine oil. Well don't be to quick to agree with the mechanic that the head gasket is blown. The 03 Turbos (not sure about others or non-turbo model) has a water cooled oil cooler that is located right where the oil filter is. In fact the oil filter screws onto the cooler. There seems to be a problem with the castings of these coolers which causes them to fail causing the 20 or 30 + psi of oil pressure to bleed into the 17 psi of the radiator coolant side. This happened to my PT and the following is 1)how I corrected this failure. 2) A brief description of what you are getting into and how to do it 3) information from Chrysler engineering buddy I met in a ford forum(who sent some pretty nifty test results) and 4) 30,000 miles of proof that some things are over engineered from the getgo. This post is going to be quite long, so if anyone is interested(give me a response) and the MODS approve. I will take the time to post it in whichever forum is deemed by the MODS appropriate. Dang I'm glad I looked long and hard at this OEM KNOWN FAILURE but not discussed failure.
The cooler delete is a mod some have used to put a bigger oil filter on. You can just stay with the aome oil filter. These from time to time have sprung a leak. Hopefully we would have thought of these had you posted it up. But it is a internet deal so guessing correctly is basses on what and how information presented and interpreted. Well we can fail this one It's already over. Great you it before you got soaked.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Dec 2014, 08:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Most frequent reason to look for a blown head gasket is overheating - which, you didn't have in your case, correct?
Forgot to mention that, yes overheating due to the oil level dropping from seeping into the coolant causing sludge in coolant. I was only going to post how I bypassed the oil cooler and that this mod didn't change the oil temp or the coolant temp or the engine block temp. taken at 6 points on the block. Also I replaced the radiator and the replacements I looked at all had a fixed filler neck, and the OEM has a removable one. It is possible to exchange it out with the fixed model, but there is only one way to install it without damaging the radiator and/or leaving out 3 front clip/grill bolts. But I will look around the threads to see if anyone has touched on this.

Lastly (finally, huh?) I have put 30k on my PT since then, with no problems, and that is driving in temps from 85 to 115 city and highway with AC making ice cubes.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Forgot to mention that, yes overheating due to the oil level dropping from seeping into the coolant causing sludge in coolant. I was only going to post how I bypassed the oil cooler and that this mod didn't change the oil temp or the coolant temp or the engine block temp. taken at 6 points on the block. Also I replaced the radiator and the replacements I looked at all had a fixed filler neck, and the OEM has a removable one. It is possible to exchange it out with the fixed model, but there is only one way to install it without damaging the radiator and/or leaving out 3 front clip/grill bolts. But I will look around the threads to see if anyone has touched on this.

Lastly (finally, huh?) I have put 30k on my PT since then, with no problems, and that is driving in temps from 85 to 115 city and highway with AC making ice cubes.
I was thinking that the cooling lines were for the turbo 's oil to cool But IDK. The fixed neck is a replacement norm. I looked but none seam to make it like original. I didn't run into the bolt problem. So not exactly sure what you mean. maybe some pics. You should post up the other to remind folks that this is a sometimes occurance so we don't forget to remember that sorce for a leak.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Dec 2014, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Now all that makes sense. I often wondered, with a closed system like the cooling system is, where sludge comes from when people have a gunked up radiator - not all could have been from a bad coolant mix....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles