PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Type of intercooler?

 
Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2015, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Default Type of intercooler?

Hi all, I have an 03 GT with a dented intercooler that might need replacing. Is the IC air-to-air or liquid-to-air? I feel like this should be easy to find out but I haven't had much luck so far.

The guy at the shop told me it could start leaking fluid. Is he right?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2015, 04:03 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,656
Default Re: Type of intercooler?

Air-to-Air

The intake is a DRY intake or air only. So the had better not be fluids leaking from the intake system anywhere from the air cleaner to the lower intake manifold.
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2015, 04:06 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,656
Default Re: Type of intercooler?

btw WELCOME TO THE FORUM
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2015, 05:15 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Type of intercooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbright View Post
Hi all, I have an 03 GT with a dented intercooler that might need replacing. Is the IC air-to-air or liquid-to-air? I feel like this should be easy to find out but I haven't had much luck so far.

The guy at the shop told me it could start leaking fluid. Is he right?

Thanks.
Only if you consider air a fluid....OR - the dent was deep enough to hit the radiator above/behind the intercooler...

Welcome.
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2015, 05:50 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,883
Default Re: Type of intercooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Only if you consider air a fluid....OR - the dent was deep enough to hit the radiator above/behind the intercooler...

Welcome.
You would have to destroy the intercooler get to the radiator.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2015, 06:11 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,267
Default Re: Type of intercooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbright View Post
Hi all, I have an 03 GT with a dented intercooler that might need replacing. Is the IC air-to-air or liquid-to-air? I feel like this should be easy to find out but I haven't had much luck so far.

The guy at the shop told me it could start leaking fluid. Is he right?

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Arkansas is normally the beautiful sultry home of barefoot young uneducated women in tube tops searching for men with study jobs. But right now, it's more like the frozen wasteland of one of those forsaken northern states.

As already said, the intercooler on a PT Cruiser is air cooled. There is no liquid coolant to leak out. It's a likely honest mistake by your mechanic but it does confirm that he does not know a lot about turbocharged PT Cruisers.

Luckily, salvage intercoolers seem pretty easy to come by. I know where one is laying on the ground right now. You can likely pick one up at a salvage yard or on eBay fairly cheaply. I believe the GT and the turbo lite use the same one. I suspect all are the same for all models but another member will need to confirm that. You can likely replace it yourself if you are moderately handy with a wrench.

Here's a photo of mine with the bumper cover removed. It's the part below the bumper. The Diet Coke is optional:

__________________

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Feb 2015 at 06:16 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2015, 07:18 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,883
Default Re: Type of intercooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Arkansas is normally the beautiful sultry home of barefoot young uneducated women in tube tops searching for men with study jobs. But right now, it's more like the frozen wasteland of one of those forsaken northern states.

As already said, the intercooler on a PT Cruiser is air cooled. There is no liquid coolant to leak out. It's a likely honest mistake by your mechanic but it does confirm that he does not know a lot about turbocharged PT Cruisers.

Luckily, salvage intercoolers seem pretty easy to come by. I know where one is laying on the ground right now. You can likely pick one up at a salvage yard or on eBay fairly cheaply. I believe the GT and the turbo lite use the same one. I suspect all are the same for all models but another member will need to confirm that. You can likely replace it yourself if you are moderately handy with a wrench.

Here's a photo of mine with the bumper cover removed. It's the part below the bumper. The Diet Coke is optional:

All the turbo components are the same.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2015, 08:34 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,656
Default Re: Type of intercooler?

Actually if his mechanic did say that about fluid and asked if it were water to air this would mean he is at least a modder in performance

I have had many heated debates which are better on a few forums.
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16 Feb 2015, 08:56 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,267
Default Re: Type of intercooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Actually if his mechanic did say that about fluid and asked if it were water to air this would mean he is at least a modder in performance

I have had many heated debates which are better on a few forums.
Or the mechanic might just have experience with big trucks and/or industrial diesel engines. Many of these have liquid-cooled intercoolers. I think Cummins first used them in about 1970. It was actually incorporated into the intake manifold. It allowed for a very compact design. They used a liquid-cooled oil cooler on the same engines.

Cummins must of liked their liquid-cooled intercooler so much, they put their logo on it:




Of course, Mack had to be different. Here's there air-cooled intercooler. I believe they started using these on their 300 Maxidyne engine in the early 1970's:

__________________

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Feb 2015 at 09:15 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17 Feb 2015, 09:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Default Re: Type of intercooler?

Wow thanks for all the info guys! I think Handy is right and it was just an honest mistake.

I've come across these forums a lot over the past few years, since I got a PT. Good to finally join.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lug Type ? red98gt Wheels, Tires, Suspension 6 30 Jul 2014 07:14 pm
Oil Type o8bluept General PT Cruiser Discussions 7 20 Mar 2010 12:22 pm
What type turbo? 07GTDriver General Turbo Discussions 5 15 Nov 2007 09:30 am
Type of gas cfra7 General PT Cruiser Discussions 10 19 Jun 2007 12:24 pm
Oil Type Revisited yobiebs General Turbo Discussions 5 02 Jul 2003 12:27 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors