PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
so, replacing an engine(long story) What should I do before new one goes in?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By zeeboid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2015, 11:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default so, replacing an engine(long story) What should I do before new one goes in?

Hey All.

So, a couple broken bolts on in the turbo (wastegate) has convinced me to pull the enigne. Yeah, yeah, I know I can pull the turbo in the car with bloody knuckels but for the amount of work it is, I may as well rip the engine out. And you know, while its out, I'd like to put one in with less then the 130k that are on it now.

So, I'm looking around for used complete engines between 0-50k miles.

I like performance, had a 360whp 98 Neon with a PT Cruiser turbo engine in it, CTS-V Wagon, all that jaz. So while the replacement is sitting on an engine stand, does anyone have recommendations of what I should do to it?

Belt/Tensioner/water pump?
Anything to the head? Gasket(s)?
Clutch
??

Thanks!!
Old 28 Mar 2015, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: so, replacing an engine(long story) What should I do before new one goes in?

If you are serious about performance, you might want to consider rebuilding your existing engine. These tons of things that can be done.

Darrell Cox Racing has got lot of internal parts. If you had a bored out block, better crank, rods, pistons and head, you would have a good basis to build something very special. They've got complete engines too:

DARRELL COX RACING - Darrell Cox Racing - (Powered by CubeCart)

Another place that's got lots of internal performance parts is Modern Performance. Here's there site:

https://www.modernperformance.com/ca...iser-gt-engine
zeeboid likes this.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: so, replacing an engine(long story) What should I do before new one goes in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeboid View Post
.....had a 360whp 98 Neon with a PT Cruiser turbo engine in it

Belt/Tensioner/water pump?
Anything to the head? Gasket(s)?
Clutch
??

Thanks!!
seems like if you had plans to make this car anything like that you'd do all three of those, no?

Last edited by rob342; 30 Mar 2015 at 02:05 pm.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 02:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i put off oil changes and beat the ever loving piss out of my car at least as hard as you ever possibly could. i rip the shifter ball clean off the shifter yanking the car into second just as the car bounces one single time off the rev limiter. why would you be foolish enough to gamble on a used engine if your only problem is a couple broken bolts? i think you're nuts replacing a 130k mile engine. i have over 2x that mileage and mine doesn't burn or leak anything.

i mean, say you find and purchase a 50k used PT motor. why would that car have been scrapped at 50k? i'd say 33% from an accident, 33% from flood damage, or 33% from neglected maintenance. you really want to gamble and get the 33% from an accident motor to build instead?

i used to buy the 30k JDM engines, but i'd go there with a flashlight, pull a plug, find a good looking motor based on what i saw in the chamber and inside the oil cap.

IMO you have a fresh motor there. do a compression test and if you like the results...leave it alone

Old 30 Mar 2015, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The Performance engines from vendors are basically for racing application to support extreme HP.

Building your own is considerably less expensive.

If you are going to do racing like 1/4 and street car daily driver so to say then you would be ahead of the game to find a low mileage engine. No performance engine machine shop can duplicate the factory assembly technique so the chances are you can produce a better linear powered engine with bolt-on's with a good factory assembled low miller then rebuilding an engine from scratch even with all new performance parts.

If your goal is a race engine for that purpose and you expect to achieve very high HP or torque levels, then you would need the internal parts to support such idea's.

There are other running gear considerations to think about as well. It is never just about the engine.

The average PT's and very high power output are are not synonymous with each.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 Mar 2015, 03:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ya, pretty much street only. Just looking to freshin it up so I didn't have to worry about the engine. as it is i was able to use the wisdom of searching on the forum to remove the Turbo without much effort, So i'll fix that and deal with the rest as it comes I guess.

I once picked up a complete PT Cruiser Turbo engine with 780 miles on it for $450. used that in a 1g Neon. pretty good luck with junk yard finds so far.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 06:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeboid View Post
ya, pretty much street only. Just looking to freshin it up so I didn't have to worry about the engine. as it is i was able to use the wisdom of searching on the forum to remove the Turbo without much effort, So i'll fix that and deal with the rest as it comes I guess.

I once picked up a complete PT Cruiser Turbo engine with 780 miles on it for $450. used that in a 1g Neon. pretty good luck with junk yard finds so far.

Thanks for your feedback.
If you worked on that PT Turbo and got "360whp" on it, you don't need our advice.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Mar 2015, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

1st and 2nd gear were pretty worthless...

But this is my 1st actual PT, so, just making sure. feedback from many is preferable to the voices in my head
Handy_Cruiser likes this.