PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Downpipe/exhaust question

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2015, 06:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Downpipe/exhaust question

I'm looking to upgrade my O2 housing and downpipe. My plan is to purchase a 3" O2 housing and downpipe from Modern Performance or Ebay (if you have recommendations on which to go through, or if there are others you would recommend let me know). I was looking at the following parts from Modern:

Downpipe for an SRT-4 3" necks down to a 2.25":
O2 Housings & Downpipes - CHQ Downpipe w/ Cut Out Package, 03-05 Neon SRT-4

3" O2 housing:
Exhaust - MPx 3inch O2 Housing, 03-05 Neon SRT-4 / 03-07 PT Cruiser GT

I'm aware that the SRT-4 downpipes are a little shorter than what is needed on the PT so some modification would be required but I have a friend with a lift and a welder in his garage and he'll help me weld up everything so modification isn't that big of deal.

My question is that I've read I need bigger exhaust than a 2.25" if I plan on going much above stock hp (which I do) but since the downpipe has an electric cutout I can open up when I want more power would I be fine for daily driving with just 2.25"? Or would the performance be impacted significantly in that case? The car currently has some straightpiped 2.25" on it and if I could just keep that it would save me some $$$.

Would I be better off just getting a downpipe that is 3" all the way through and welding up some 3" exhaust all the way back or could I get a way with what I stated above? I'm not trying to cut corners but I do want to avoid any unnecessary spending.

If you have any recommendations on downpipes and O2 housings I'm open to suggestions.

I'm currently digging through the forums to see what I can find also so I apologize if I'm asking a question that has already been thoroughly discussed, I just want to order as soon as I can and start modifying!
Old 01 May 2015, 09:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Downpipe/exhaust question

Gosch what cab I say....stay of the forums about how to build a car.

Use the KISS method of exhaust system.
keep it simple stupid!

Stay with stock i.d. unless you plan on racing frequently.
Don't go more than 2.5 i.d unless you have invested on a race engine for track use.

Try to build a system with mandrel bent pipes with as little bends as posible. The more straight pipe the better.

The CAT is not an enemy to power unless you have invested in a race engine for track competition.

Cutout exhaust is for those that want attention and in most case hurts power unless you have invested in a race engine for the track.

Choose you muffler for it CFM rating and not the name or what forum groupies run.
SPLNeon likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 May 2015, 11:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Gosch what cab I say....stay of the forums about how to build a car.

Use the KISS method of exhaust system.
keep it simple stupid!

Stay with stock i.d. unless you plan on racing frequently.
Don't go more than 2.5 i.d unless you have invested on a race engine for track use.

Try to build a system with mandrel bent pipes with as little bends as posible. The more straight pipe the better.

The CAT is not an enemy to power unless you have invested in a race engine for track competition.

Cutout exhaust is for those that want attention and in most case hurts power unless you have invested in a race engine for the track.

Choose you muffler for it CFM rating and not the name or what forum groupies run.
Not sure if you were trying to be rude with some of the statements or not, but thanks for the tips you did give... That much is appreciated.
Old 02 May 2015, 12:03 am
Regular Cruiser

Most of my curiosity about exhaust sizes arises from the debate about back pressure and whether it hurts turbo performance or not, or how much is too much, but I feel if I ask on these forums I will likely be lectured like one would speak to a disobedient child as opposed to information that is conducive to answering my question.

And yes, I want the cutout to be loud no other reason lol.
Old 02 May 2015, 12:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Take it however you want.

IMO,based on phisic's not street phycologiest butt dyno racers there is no datebate about the back pressure subject and TurboCharged engines used on the street. That iis if you follow simple rules and forumlas for thermal dynamics and flow rates.

I posted to help you so that you would not make the mistakes as many have done.

The muffler bypass or cutout will be very loud and you will lose low end torque and make a peaky producing engine. The cutouts in the common loctions cool the exhaust too fast which slow exhaust velocity. Keeping the exhaust as hot as posible as long as you can when it leaves the head is the goal.

BTW I was responding useing my cell phone. Most of the first lines seemed to have not worked out. It should have read:
What can I say, if you stay on the forums to learn about how to build a car instead of talking to performance shops you are going to be making a lot of mistakes.

Lol may not be much better then your impression of my first response?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 02 May 2015 at 01:19 am.
Old 02 May 2015, 09:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinPurplePeopleEater View Post
Most of my curiosity about exhaust sizes arises from the debate about back pressure and whether it hurts turbo performance or not, or how much is too much, but I feel if I ask on these forums I will likely be lectured like one would speak to a disobedient child as opposed to information that is conducive to answering my question.

And yes, I want the cutout to be loud no other reason lol.
Don't worry too much about the tone of responses you get. For some reason, motor heads often sound more asinine when responding on a forum than in real life. I think it has to do with poor writing skills.

As far as NitroPT's comments, he is likely the best expert on this that currently comes to this forum. Not sure why he acts like Mr. Hyde online, but he's a very nice guy on the phone and I suspect the same is true in person. Send him a PM if you really need help. He can likely give you some very good advice if you really want to go faster.

There are lots of older posts about exhaust upgrades. In the past, many folks reported that the stainless down pipes sold on eBay were about as good as any. Most of the best exhaust kits I've found have been "Cat-back", meaning from the behind the catalytic converter to the exhaust tip. So to do a complete system, you will need to select a good down pipe to go with it. Again, there are older post where PT guys did this very successfully based on what they were trying to accomplish with their PT's. You may want to start with those older threads first.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 May 2015 at 09:25 am.
Old 02 May 2015, 09:33 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Take it however you want.

IMO,based on phisic's not street phycologiest butt dyno racers there is no datebate about the back pressure subject and TurboCharged engines used on the street. That iis if you follow simple rules and forumlas for thermal dynamics and flow rates.

I posted to help you so that you would not make the mistakes as many have done.

The muffler bypass or cutout will be very loud and you will lose low end torque and make a peaky producing engine. The cutouts in the common loctions cool the exhaust too fast which slow exhaust velocity. Keeping the exhaust as hot as posible as long as you can when it leaves the head is the goal.

BTW I was responding useing my cell phone. Most of the first lines seemed to have not worked out. It should have read:
What can I say, if you stay on the forums to learn about how to build a car instead of talking to performance shops you are going to be making a lot of mistakes.

Lol may not be much better then your impression of my first response?
Haha whoops I feel bad with my passive aggressive response. I thought you were saying what can I say, stay off the forums about building cars. I was like dang that's kind of rude. But its all good! I really do appreciate the knowledge you are willing to share!
NitroPT likes this.
Old 02 May 2015, 10:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Off topic: Todd there is no "sorta" like to add to someones response? As far as the MR Hyde, if I had to dance around the point I would be in soooo many endless debates and none personal examples from people of the subject matter that many threads would be locked down. Responding on dozens of forums of various subject for over 15 I have learned be swift and to the point. Also demand that if challenged ask for correction by the showing of empirical information that can be verified factually from anybody. That means other then from your second cousins brother or wiki, other forums with the same less then accurate reporters and just what someone logically thinks the world as we live in it should be? That is what I call theorized fantasy physics.
That said not sure how my responses can be called *asinine?
Now you think I am MR Hyde here you should read the fun on the Quantum Physics forum I am a member on.

Todd thank you for the compliment.

On topic:

The traditional CAT back exhaust are most for aesthetic of a PT. The advertising will "WOW" you into believing most all that you want to expect in a vehicle. The sad thing is many actually reduce the total engine power at measure peak levels. The other sad thing is a few actually use great mufflers and then imprison them in the piping.
The old threads are from most that IMO were on the quest of sound and looks. The few that did have performance in mind went with poor choices balanced with IMO looks. It seems that most who mod their vehicles are more concerned with the sound and looks than in real performance increases.

FlyinPurplePeopleEater as Todd aka HandyCruiser, suggested please feel free to PM me anytime. Many times a one on one conversation goes a little better less convoluted then some threads can become.

*adjective
extremely stupid or foolish.

synonyms: stupid, foolish, brainless, mindless, senseless, idiotic, imbecilic, ridiculous, ludicrous, absurd, nonsensical, fatuous, silly, inane, witless, empty-headed;

^^^Is this what you really think of my responses?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 02 May 2015 at 10:33 am.
Old 02 May 2015, 12:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
That said not sure how my responses can be called *asinine?
Now you think I am MR Hyde here you should read the fun on the Quantum Physics forum I am a member on.
Figures. You're likely an "M-theory" guy. Those are the most pig-headed and asinine of all.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 02 May 2015, 12:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Figures. You're likely an "M-theory" guy. Those are the most pig-headed and asinine of all.
actually I am chronon theorist.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN