OEM Intake pipe opinions/hard facts

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SPLNeon
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2015, 08:01 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default OEM Intake pipe opinions/hard facts

I have not pulled this off at all, But if it is open all the way through, I cannot see this being a restrictive part of the air intake. I have deleted the so called factory boost leak in this pipe. Are there Baffles or anything in this part of the air intake to restrict flow? Is it Placebo effect that people are "feeling power increases" due to a different intake sound? Did anyone do Back to back dyno testing when the intake hardpipes came into production?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.95 at 118.41mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 27 Jun 2015, 09:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: OEM Intake pipe opinions/hard facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLNeon View Post

I have not pulled this off at all, But if it is open all the way through, I cannot see this being a restrictive part of the air intake. I have deleted the so called factory boost leak in this pipe. Are there Baffles or anything in this part of the air intake to restrict flow? Is it Placebo effect that people are "feeling power increases" due to a different intake sound? Did anyone do Back to back dyno testing when the intake hardpipes came into production?
You might want to talk privately with Lynn. I know he has done some testing in regards of the intake system.

No real gains to be had at this juncture. Just a low restriction filter and thats about all you will see.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jun 2015, 09:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

That's my thinking too, I cannot see this being a restriction at all if this is open all the way through. I do have a High flow cone filter installed as there was no airbox installed when I purchased the car.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.95 at 118.41mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
Old 27 Jun 2015, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes PM me. I am not going to talk about flow testing intake parts on an open media like a PT Cruiser forum anymore! I did the tests spent the money and "wingnuts " want me to either show my flow data or argue about things they have NO frame of reference with me about!!

This is what it reminds me of!!!!! Change the Little Red Hen to NITRO and the bread to part testing, the story theme in this case to PT Cruiser's and you get the idea!!
The Little Red Hen

What many don't under stand is that DYNO evaluations especially on a Chassis dyno is for tuning and not for evaluating a single mod.
Engine DYNO are better used for this kind of testing because they are generally conducted in a controlled environment with easily repeatable DELTA.

I have owned/operated both a portable Chassis DYNO and more importantly an Engine DYNO!

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...yno-lying.html

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Jun 2015, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLNeon View Post
That's my thinking too, I cannot see this being a restriction at all if this is open all the way through. I do have a High flow cone filter installed as there was no airbox installed when I purchased the car.
Lynn drove around with a snorkel on his and didn't see much change. Even the air temps were unimpressive.
NitroPT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jun 2015, 11:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

I happen to have that piece of pipe off since i have gone to a home made hard pipe to the factory airbox. I'm running a k&n filter, not any difference besides maybe a different sound but here's a pic of the inside of the pipe. It does get pretty small inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150627_125128_resized.jpg (93.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 27 Jun 2015, 12:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxzem View Post
I happen to have that piece of pipe off since i have gone to a home made hard pipe to the factory airbox. I'm running a k&n filter, not any difference besides maybe a different sound but here's a pic of the inside of the pipe. It does get pretty small inside.
Ya, but still as big as the turbo it feeds. If you can't get through the turbo you can't use it.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Jun 2015, 02:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I will PM. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Yes PM me. I am not going to talk about flow testing intake parts on an open media like a PT Cruiser forum anymore! I did the tests spent the money and "wingnuts " want me to either show my flow data or argue about things they have NO frame of reference with me about!!

This is what it reminds me of!!!!! Change the Little Red Hen to NITRO and the bread to part testing, the story theme in this case to PT Cruiser's and you get the idea!!
The Little Red Hen

What many don't under stand is that DYNO evaluations especially on a Chassis dyno is for tuning and not for evaluating a single mod.
Engine DYNO are better used for this kind of testing because they are generally conducted in a controlled environment with easily repeatable DELTA.

I have owned/operated both a portable Chassis DYNO and more importantly an Engine DYNO!

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...yno-lying.html

96 SOHC Neon Turbo
Old 27 Jun 2015, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxzem View Post
Measure the I.D. This will explain a lot when comparing to rest of the measure OE intake manifolds. Either plastic or aluminum. The terms small, large, big, little, are not really technical words when talking about VE and CFM rates on this particular part for the PT cruiser.

Some sound frequencies are none directional, these same frequencies levels of sound can be controlled by a hose or piping like the one you pictured. On that side of the intake system the turbulence that may be generated would be negated in the rest of the intake system.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 27 Jun 2015 at 03:03 pm.