Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2015, 10:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Help please

So my timing belt on my 2006 GT broke while I was driving about 2 weeks ago I have sent you replace the timing belt and water pump as well as all other recommended parts. However when I went and started it it's surging at idle and cuts out when I push the throttle past halfway. It has also thrown 6 powertrain related codes p0016 p0108 p0113 p0118 p0340 p0344 if anyone has any ideas please help.
Old 05 Jul 2015, 11:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help please

Was the timing belt installed correctly?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 06 Jul 2015 at 12:28 am.
Old 06 Jul 2015, 07:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Was the timing belt installed correctly?

Does it idle nice and smooth? It should. That's the first sign the timing is off.
Old 06 Jul 2015, 10:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Who did the work??
Old 06 Jul 2015, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06turbski View Post
So my timing belt on my 2006 GT broke while I was driving about 2 weeks ago I have sent you replace the timing belt and water pump as well as all other recommended parts. However when I went and started it it's surging at idle and cuts out when I push the throttle past halfway. It has also thrown 6 powertrain related codes p0016 p0108 p0113 p0118 p0340 p0344 if anyone has any ideas please help.
There seems to be a run-on sentence in this description that muddies the water. Did you do the repairs yourself? And have you reinstalled the motor mounts yet, or did you start the car with the engine still on the jack?

I suspect that the intake camshaft is one tooth off. But we will need more details to help you.
Old 06 Jul 2015, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for the confusion. Yes I did the work myself and as far as I know all timming marks were in the correct pissission at the time of the belt being installed. I did exactly as the book recommend and set the exhaust cam half a tooth low so I could tighten the belt in order to get it onto the tensioner. I spun the engine 2 full rotations and all the marks lined back up. At which point I put everything back together, including all mounts covers etc. I did not try and start it on the jack, looking back maybe I should have. It will run smooth if I hold the throttle at about 1100 rpm. It's is drive able to an extent but will not idle smooth and if I give it more the half throttle it will cut out. And it seems to be worse approaching the shift point for the Trans, which is an auto. I hope I was a little more clear this time thank you everyone for your time and patience
Old 06 Jul 2015, 01:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your codes are as follows:

p0016- crankshaft/camshaft timing misalignment
p0108 -map sensor high
p0113- intake air temp sensor high
p0118- engine coolant temp high
p0340- camshaft position sensor circuit
p0344- camshaft position sensor intermittent

The first code is kind'a telling. The next two codes might be the result of a slightly open intake valve. I have no clue on the po118 unless the car is overheating as well. And the last two could be the result of the first code. But it's hard to say. Often one issue can set off many codes since things affect one another.

I'm a safety engineer and environmental consultant but haven't worked as a professional mechanic in many years. However if it was me, I'd first check to assure I haven't damages the leads to the crankshaft and camshaft sensors. I'd inspect the intake manifold to assure I hadn't cracked it and that I don't have a vacuum leak from the PVC line or vacuum lines. I might run the engine and spray a little starter fluid around the top of the engine to see if I get the engine to rev from a vacuum leak. I'd do these things first because they are easiest and don't take much time.

Then I might pull the top part off the timing cover. Mine will come off without having to remove anything else. Next I would use a wooden dowel or similar to get #1 piston at top dead center through the spark plug hole. Or I might use a dial gauge since I have one. After this, I would check my alignment marks on the cam sprockets by holding a ruler or other straight edge across the outer marks on the sprockets and see if they line up with the inner marks. And if all four marks didn't line up, I'd know my timing was off. And if not, I could rule it out and scratch my head some more. That should be less than an hours work.

If no joy and I knew my camshafts were aligned correctly, I might move on to a compression check to detect a bent valve. The PT has a non-interference engine. But several bent valves have been reported if the belt fails while the engine is at speed. If NitroPT chimes in, I will defer to him. He may have a few other and possibly better suggestions.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Jul 2015 at 01:50 pm.
Old 07 Jul 2015, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK thank you very much for your suggestions and time. I went ahead and tested for a vacuum leaks none were found. I also decided to just go ahead and replace the map sensor since it was less then $20. I am in the process of trying to clean up the codes as best as I can to find which codes it throws first, in hopes it will let me narrow it down a bit. Again thank you for your advice have a great day.
Old 07 Jul 2015, 12:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06turbski View Post
OK thank you very much for your suggestions and time. I went ahead and tested for a vacuum leaks none were found. I also decided to just go ahead and replace the map sensor since it was less then $20. I am in the process of trying to clean up the codes as best as I can to find which codes it throws first, in hopes it will let me narrow it down a bit. Again thank you for your advice have a great day.
If you are going to replace parts on your PT Cruiser make sure you put the original part back in if it doesn't fix the problem. You might have more problems down the road if you don't.