Advertisements
K&N TYPHOON

Like Tree9Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2015, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default K&N TYPHOON

I just ordered my K&N cai and I'm excited for the looks.

I started to wonder where the hose from the side of the motor that went into the stock airbox goes with the new cai
I've seen people have done the mini cone filter ans I like that what do I have to do get to do that little mod
Old 15 Aug 2015, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: K&N TYPHOON

Most of the aftermarket CAI's have two nipples/holes to accept the vacuum line and the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor. If not, like you said, a small filter can be used instead of the vacuum line.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 02:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have the mini cone filter for my PCV vent. But it's mounted on a small catch can. The catch can is actually a bowl-type line filter for an air compressor. I have a Bomba check valve on the other side between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. I believe that may help too. Otherwise, the PCV valve has to hold back the turbo pressure from entering the crankcase.

Have you considered any type of air dam so the intake will pull more from the fresh air duct instead of off the engine? I wish I had a Typhoon but my budget was stretched during my engine upgrade due to other complications. Here's my setup:

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Aug 2015 at 02:44 pm.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The Typhoon should come with a vehicle specific heat shield that would help prevent drawing in hot air.

Old 15 Aug 2015, 03:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Im always broke but i wish i could afford a good cai. I recently replaced my air box with a sprctre cone but only because the top of my air box is broken and sucking dirty air above the k&n drop in i have. I now have a cone sitting in about the same spot as pictured above, but minus the heat shielding. I can tell you that after driving for a few minutes and getting out the filter itself is HOT. I can only imagine the air temps im sucking in. I also have a mini filter for the make-up air hose. I recently read someone posted this should be under intake vacuum, (before turbo) as it is worth some hp while under boost for the ability to vacuum out the crank case...?? Not sure about that, but an alternative i guess would be to filter this or catch can it before going to intake pipe. You don't want oil going to the turbo veins either way through the tube.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 03:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The Typhoon should come with a vehicle specific heat shield that would help prevent drawing in hot air.
That would be awesome. But none of the ones for the PT I looked at had an air dam/heat shield. Of coarse, I only looked at the photos and didn't call to see if maybe there's something that's not shown that is included with the Typhoon.

Here's the list for the PT from K&N. A lot have heat shields but not the Typhoon in the photos.

Chrysler PT Cruiser Cold Air Intake - K&N Performance Air Intakes

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Aug 2015 at 03:43 pm.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As I said, "should come with" and most of those pricey CAI do come with one. For that kind of money I would sure expect to get something.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 15 Aug 2015 at 03:54 pm.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 06:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
As I said, "should come with" and most of those pricey CAI do come with one. For that kind of money I would sure expect to get something.
For the price of a Typhoon, I'd expect a pretty girl to deliver it and wink at me.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 08:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I have the mini cone filter for my PCV vent. But it's mounted on a small catch can. The catch can is actually a bowl-type line filter for an air compressor. I have a Bomba check valve on the other side between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. I believe that may help too. Otherwise, the PCV valve has to hold back the turbo pressure from entering the crankcase.

Have you considered any type of air dam so the intake will pull more from the fresh air duct instead of off the engine? I wish I had a Typhoon but my budget was stretched during my engine upgrade due to other complications. Here's my setup:

What all did you purchase to do what you did ans air dam ??? Never thought of thay any idea maybe mod the bottom of the stock airbox
Old 15 Aug 2015, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The K&N CAI comes with detailed instructions for installation. Follow them and you will not have any problems. Questions for installation should be addressed to K&N direct.

I have used them in the past and I currently have a K&N High Performance CAI system waiting to be installed in my garage as I write this response.

I also have been a long time user of K&N products and highly recommend there use when ever an application needs a filter of any sort oi or air.

The air kit pictured in the previous post is readily available on ebay for very little cash. I have an extra if you are interested PM me. It is with Blue hose and I believe red piping?
They do not improve anything on a PT Cruiser Turbo model except the looks.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 15 Aug 2015 at 08:18 pm.
Closed Thread