Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Confused about Magnecor 8.5mm part no

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 May 2004, 09:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Confused about Magnecor 8.5mm part no

I've been doing research into getting Magnecor 8.5mm wires for my '03 GT turbo, and I'm confused on what part number to get.

The latest Magnecor catalog (see pic below) says part no 45231 is correct for turbos (and 45428 for non-turbos), but a previous posting to this forum (scroll to the bottom - http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=5040) says the 45231's didn't fit (but I couldn't tell if Hershel has a turbo or not)...

Help? Do I need the 45428's or the 45231's for my '03 Turbo? [:I] Thanks!

Old 21 May 2004, 12:04 am
Regular Cruiser

I have a non turbo PT. I just got in my Magnecor 8.5mm yesterday and the box part number says 45428 and they are the right ones. So the catalog you looked at is correct.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/504007

<b><i>Dream Bruizer DC1 #632</b></i>
Old 04 Jun 2004, 08:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Followup to my Magnecor 8.5mm spark plug wire part number question (for GT turbos only)

I sent an email to Magnecor asking which part number was correct for the turbos, #45231 or #45428? Here was the response:

Quote:
quote:"Either set will fit, but we have started listing the 45231 for Turbos because it has angled boots at the coils which keeps the wires further away from the heat

Steve Brown - Magnecor (Michigan, USA)
Telephone: 248-471-9505
Fax: 248-471-9506
WWW: http://www.magnecor.com"
The best price I've found on the 45231's is $52.89 (+~$6 shipping UPS ground) from UltraRev:
http://www.ultrarev.com/ecart/shopexd.asp?id=37461

Stage1, BTG Strut Bar, Sun Hyperground system, Prototype Power CAI, no silencers, Eibach ProKit, Borla 2.5\" SSTL single w/dual tip, APC 2G Carbon Fiber Taillights, Chrome Fuel door, \'02 foldaway heated mirrors, OEM-style rear spoiler, Progress 22mm rear sway bar, TYC backup lights, Magnecor 8.5mm, stock plugs, MB Design \"Shifter\" 17x7.5 wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 235/45/ZR17 tires
Old 05 Jun 2004, 01:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

I just picked up the Mopar ones for 38.95 on ebay. 8.5mm as well..and they got here in a day! Woo-hoo! Hopefully this solves my stuttering problem [}]

14.67 @ 94.5 &lt;--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 05 Jun 2004, 03:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sakigt

I just picked up the Mopar ones for 38.95 on ebay. 8.5mm as well..and they got here in a day! Woo-hoo! Hopefully this solves my stuttering problem [}]
I know my Daughters Neon has been running hers for about 30,000 miles and all her problems (hi revs with A/C on, no power, stutering) are gone. Apparently stock Neon cables are not able to handle high hood temps! Her MOPAR cables still look brand new!! I will change my cables at 30,000 when I change plugs. Cost me about $300 when my daughters Neon went down on her honeymoon in Laguna Ca and she had to take it to the nearest stealer. That covered diagnosis, tune-up and cables. Nothing more!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 07:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just a quick follow-up for reference purposes.

I bought Magnecor 8.5mm's (#45231) and some RE14MCC-5 Champion copper plus spark plugs (same as OEM) for my '03 GT turbo. I gapped the plugs to 0.045, not 0.050 as the info on the decal on the radiator housing says. (The plugs came gapped at 0.045 out of the box).

I just turned over 24,000 miles today.

Here are the OEM spark plugs I just removed:

Here are the Magnecor's installed, note all four have 90 deg right-angle boots at the coil (whereas the original MoPar's had three straight boots at the coil and one 90 deg (the one that went to the cylinder furthest on the right)):

You can see that you can angle the wires "upward" at the coil to get them further away from the valve cover (and, thus, further from heat) than you could with the original MoPar straight boots.

Also, I put a small piece of rubber tubing (split longways) around one of the wires where it would rub on the throttle cable housing to keep the chafing down.

Performance-wise, I haven't noticed a difference yet, but a stumble I had at lower RPM (when I would accelerate to pass someone at lower speeds) seems to be gone now.
Stage1, BTG Strut Bar, Sun Hyperground system, Prototype Power CAI, no silencers, Eibach ProKit, Borla 2.5\" SSTL single w/dual tip, APC 2G Carbon Fiber Taillights, Chrome Fuel door, \'02 foldaway heated mirrors, OEM-style rear spoiler, Progress 22mm rear sway bar, TYC backup lights, Magnecor 8.5mm, stock plugs, MB Design \"Shifter\" 17x7.5 wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 235/45/ZR17 tires
Old 12 Jun 2004, 08:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Nice info im4gzs. I'm buying the same stuff and your input makes me feel better.
Judging by your pictures of the plug it looks as if two are good and two are not!
Another reason for stumble?
Old 17 Jun 2004, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

bigdogdad said:
Quote:
quote:Nice info im4gzs. I'm buying the same stuff and your input makes me feel better.
Judging by your pictures of the plug it looks as if two are good and two are not!
Another reason for stumble?
I wondered if the two plugs on which the electrode was more worn could have caused the stumble, but I encountered it again today, so it must not have been the plugs or wires! The stumble I'm referring to occurs when I'm crusing in 3rd or 4th (I have autostick) and I decide to accelerate around someone, but not a hard acceleration. When I gradually, but firmly, step on the gas, my GT hesitates and sometimes seems to stumble/misfire. I'm hoping Stage 2 takes care of that!

Old 17 Jun 2004, 10:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

My stumble is in first gear. Once out of first and I'm flying. Changing the plugs and wires shortly and will post.
[xx(]Man, now I got to do this. But I really want to anyway. Well, off to shopping.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 01:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to sugees69
Default Re: Confused about Magnecor 8.5mm part no

hi. what did it cost to have your doors done like that?