Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help..is this a turbo problem ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2016, 07:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help..is this a turbo problem ?

I have a 2003 GT Turbo, making loud noise when I am accelerating, almost sounds like grinding noise and my car is very very sluggish, I have had the transmission serviced, there are no muffler problems, have had engine mounts, wheel, bearings replaced. No one can figure out what the problem is.

A mechanic just said it might be either the turbo or the flywheel. Any ideas, it feels like my little red rocket is slowly dying
Old 26 Jan 2016, 09:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Help..is this a turbo problem ?

Any way you can post a sound clip? That would help. Check the lock tabs on your airbox. Mine are broken and I get a louder whooshing sound when I kick in the turbo. Grinding sound would seem more like a bearing. It could very well be a turbo bearing. Something else to check would be the bolts on the torque converter to flex plate. If one if them is loose, it'll make a hell of a racket.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 27 Jan 2016, 11:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Help..is this a turbo problem ?

Because you mentioned "sluggish" I'm inclined to think it's the turbo. It's possible to pull the big air supply hose from the airbox to the turbo and check some things. The compressor turbine is right there in the mouth of the turbo intake. You want it to be firm, not sloppy, and to spin freely. You can reach it with your hand and see if it rocks up, down, side to side. If just the bearings are bad, it can be rebuilt. If there's more damage to the impeller blades, best to replace. You have options with rebuild kits, used turbos and re-manufactured turbos.

Most turbo bearing fails are from oil lubrication issues. The oil supply line gets clogged with burnt, coked oil and the bearings die. (The oil supply lines should always be changed when any turbo service is done.) Bad habits also can kill a turbo before its time. You shouldn't shut the engine and turbo down immediately after any high boost blasting. It's best to drive the last couple of miles out of boost to let the turbo cool a bit before you park. Shutting down with a blazing hot turbo is asking for trouble.

Last edited by 2step; 27 Jan 2016 at 11:54 am.