PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Advice on PCM replacement

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2016, 12:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Advice on PCM replacement

Hello Pt forum. I have a 2004 pt 5spd turbo w 85,000 -- codes p0300 p0032 & 38. I've changed both oxy sensors, r&r w msd wires champ plugs, cleaned battery terminals, sprayed & checked for vacuum leaks, good fuel pressure. No p0300 after plug and wire swap. Want to swap pcm. PCM Questions: Factory reman vs aftermarket??. Advertised plug & play? Is there any additional steps or advice I need to know when ordering??. References for online companies used by forum members. Thank you.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 12:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Advice on PCM replacement

You have not really verified a failing PCM

P300 is a ignition related generic DTC.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Feb 2016, 01:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello can you please give advise on what I should check next?? From here I am going to drop the car off at the shop.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 01:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First, if your 2004 PT has a turbo and an 5-speed, then it says GT on back hatch, right? This is important to know for the PCM.

Now for the codes.

* Try clearing the codes with your scan tool and then see if they return after driving the car.
* What brand of oxygen sensors did you instal. Some PT's appear to be finicky about aftermarket oxygen sensors.
* Check all wiring from the sensors to the PCM. Look for cut, burnt and/or frayed wires. Unplug all plugs, clean with electrical spray cleaner and plug back up. Do this on the PCM as well. Once done, clear codes, drive car see if they codes return.

The bad PCM deal for the P0028 and P0032 codes is usually limited to the 2005 PT. But yours is close. If none of the above works plus suggestion by others, you might try another PCM. That appears to be what a tech at a dealership would do too if they detected nothing else.

I've used Auto Computer Exchange. They are very responsive and offer a lifetime warranty. It's often cheaper to buy from them on eBay than directly.

But if you have a GT, you could instead get a performance PCM. You would be mixing a problem with an upgrade, which is never a perfect situation.

But here's the deal. The 2004 GT uses the same PCM hardware as most regular NA 2004/2005 PT Cruisers. So you can buy a good core at a salvage yard for under $50. Then for only $199, Syked ECM Tuning can flash it to a Stage 1 PCM for your 2004 GT with you VIN number already in it. So if lucky, you would end up with a fixed car with better performance for less money than a reconditioned OEM PCM. The down side is that there's always a small chance of pulling a bad salvage PCM and/or something else going wrong with this process. If you buy a reconditioned PCM from Auto Computer Exchange, you will be covered as long as the PCM is really your problem.

In closing, I would do the things I mentioned first before going for another PCM. And then I'd measure my own tolerance for risk before I decide what to do after that.
DanJR likes this.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 04:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Handy Cruiser for the information and quick reply. its a gt and I will check my connections at the pcm and the wiring. I used new chrysler oxy sensors.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 04:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For the "techies" that want to be only...

...because the OP is indicating both the H02s as suspect this is not an indication of a failing PCM..

To much to try to type to explain why. Interested parties should take a class on it.

Personally I would do more diagnostic work**before replacing any more parts and especially a PCM. But that's just me.

**let me use the words of another member...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
You would be mixing a problem with an upgrade, which is never a perfect situation.

To help try to cure internet myth from continuing with some information..... For shoppers of H02s for the PT Cruisers, the PT Cruiser is not picky with them as long as they are OEM specification replacements. I suggest to buy from known and well established auto parts suppliers for the best choice and quality of replacement parts.

Always use a proper 02 sensor tool and follow the installation instructions most especially the torque setting when installing them.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Feb 2016, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Nitro off hand can you please give me some tips on other diagnostics that I can ask the shop to do. I see that there's several area's that could be causing my troubles and I'm not experienced to go any further on my own. Also seems that many have had this same problem but I haven't seen not one confirmed answer that solved this issue. I had the car in a shop for 2 weeks and they gave up but did say that maybe the car needed a pcm but not sure so I brought it home. I could drop it off to Chrysler dealership but have read other post of dealership failing to diagnose the problem. Any and all suggestions are welcome as the car is now just useless.

Last edited by jrunner; 19 Feb 2016 at 08:21 pm.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 08:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would pull the plugs to be sure the gap is good. I run 45. Check to be sure that the insulator is not cracked. The intake haskets can cause leaks. Both the head and the one between the two intake halfs. If the air fuel mixture is off do to these factors. You could have false o2 codes.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 29 Feb 2016, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey guys so after thoroughly checking my car I sent my PCM to SIA Electronics- repair and return- and they said (Unfortunately your ECM cannot be repaired. The processor on the board has failed causing issues. The processor on this style of ECM is not a repairable or replaceable component). So now I know theres something wrong with my PCM and want to purchase from one of the other ebay online companies. Not saying that its going to fix my problem but still wishing and hoping. OK I have a couple question's. It's a 2004 GT Turbo with a 5 speed manual transmission. When ordering does it matter which transmission I have manual or auto?? Thank you
Old 29 Feb 2016, 04:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I will reserves my comments...about sia.

I hope that your replacement PCM solves your problems.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN