Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is a resonator a muffler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2004, 12:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Is a resonator a muffler?

I'm looking to replace my stock exhaust system with the BTG dual system. My state's safety/emissions inspection rules specify that the vehicle must have a muffler. The parts list of the BTG lists a resonator but not a muffler. You would you intepret this rule?
Old 29 May 2004, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You won't be old enough to remember the old "Cherry Bomb" mufflers, but they looked just like a resonator (only painted bright red). There are a few chromed "ricer" mufflers out there for sale that aren't any bigger than a resonator either, so you might get away with having only a resonator...but who can say what goes on in the mind of a state inspector [:I]
Old 29 May 2004, 11:57 am
Senior Cruiser

On my system I have a 30 inch resonator, pipe and ending in exhaust tips which also have
resonators. No muffler. Fairly loud. Inspection, we don't have inspection here in Florida.
If your state is strict, you just might have trouble. I have read in these forums here of
people keeping the old exhaust systems and when inspection time came around they would put
it back on.
Old 29 May 2004, 05:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Me thinks if theyre picky enough to want a muffler, theyre going to want a square-box looking thing. You wouldnt want to throw down for an exhaust system then have to remove it b/c some joker is confusing your long skinny muffler for a resonator. [:I]

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 29 May 2004, 06:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Not one of much knowledge on cars but the inspection stations number one, if its loud they're
going to look into things alittle deeper. Number 2, I believe the muffler has something to do
with emissions which some states are b-ll busters on. For one is New Jersey, you would never
pass and another probably California.
Old 29 May 2004, 11:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

A resonator is a muffler, it muffles the sound. They are not as effective as a deflective type muffler(for lack of a better term)hence the louder the system. Your state may have a db level limit which is the only thing that could fail the system.
Old 30 May 2004, 08:46 am
Cool Cruiser

A stock SRT-4 doesn't have ANY mufflers, just a resonator. If they can sell this car in your state, you should be ok. Use the SRT-4 as your precedent.

Scott
Old 30 May 2004, 07:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

In Calif, your car cannot exceed 95dB's (measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe outlet with the engine operating in neutral, typically at a speed of 3000-5000 rpm). New cars typically are between 50-80 dB's. 95dB's is pretty loud. To give you an idea of the noise level, a lawnmower puts out 93dB's at full speed. BUT many states have laws or provisions that prohibit ANY modification of exhaust systems to amplify or increase noise OR have a lower dB maximum. Have to check your state's motor vehicle laws to see what the maximum allowed dB level is. Some states write their maximum dB laws to effectively outlaw aftermarket systems/mufflers, like setting the maximum at 88dB or less, while some aftermarket systems put out 90+dB's.

Unfortunately, tickets can and still will be written even if you are in compliance, depending on the judgement of the officer. Then you have to pay for the testing to get the ticket cleared.

Using CC inserts is a popular way of reducing the dB level (2 or 3 disks) as well as eliminating drone. It is basically inserted into the exhaust pipe in front of the muffler(s) or after the cat.
Old 30 May 2004, 10:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have had the BTG Duals for over a year and never an incident over noise. Better Gas mileage though![8)]
Old 30 May 2004, 10:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

I also have the BTG duals which give me a thrill everytime I start the cruiser up.