PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Touring to GT

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 May 2016, 12:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Touring to GT

So I bought an ECU from a PT GT on ebay a few days ago. Went Chrysler to get it flashed this morning and they can't do it without the SKIM module that's paired with the ECU. Either that or I'll need a new ecu. Anyway around this?

I emailed the seller a few minutes ago to see if he had the skim. not heard anything back yet.
Old 04 May 2016, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Touring to GT

Didn't we just do a thread on this subject?

Sadly, you may be doing this the wrong way. First, the dealership appears to be following a Chrysler tech manual I downloaded a while back where they reset SKIM module when installing a new PCM. This is not necessary for what you are trying to do.

All you need to do to solve the SKIM issue is send your GT PCM to someplace like SykesECMTuning along with your original VIN and a check for $50. Sykes will flash your PT's VIN into it and then it will happily mate with the SKIM module in your PT.

But this may not solve all problems. You see, the Autoshifter and gauge cluster in a GT are different than in the rest of the PT's including your Touring Edition (hopefully a "turbo lite") PT. The GT also had ABS and the Touring Edition may or may not. All this may lead to a check engine light, multiple trouble codes, wonky shifting and the shift indicator on the cluster may be screwed up.

I cannot confirm all of this because there is no clear report on any forum I can find to confirm or dismiss these claims. My own experiments with a GT gauge cluster confirm that you will likely have some issues. And I have found a good write up on doing this upgrade on another similar car. It takes the right PCM, an Autoshifter, a GT cluster and the wiring harness to make it all work on that car.

A better way to do this is likely to just get Sykes to flash your PCM (original or GT) to a Stage 1 or Sykes Stage 1 that's specifically tuned for your Touring Edition. Sykes also has a handheld tuner that may do this and more on your turbo lite. The DiablorSport and other major brand tuners will not work on a turbo lite with the original PCM. I suggest that you call Kevin at Sykes and let him suggest the best path forward.

PS: Please report back when you find out and whatever you decide to do. It would be good to have a clear path forward to share with others.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 May 2016 at 01:44 pm.
Old 04 May 2016, 04:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Like I said in the other thread, I suspect the cluster, which is also the BCM, tells the ECU what options the car has. If that's the case, then if you change the vin in the ECU, it will function without any codes. But, this is all speculation on my part for the time being.

I have recently sold an 05 GT ecu which is destined to be installed in a Touring Edition. Since I have the ability to flash the VIN myself, I did so and shipped it off to him. The buyer just received it today, so, when he reports back to me his results, I will certainly pass that info along to the forum.

Cubx, I would offer to flash your vin for free, for the sole purpose of having more data on this swap, but I am going on vacation next week. Anyway, I hope you will share your results if you do program the TE vin in your GT ecu. If you haven't proceeded by the time I return in mid June, I would be happy to program your vin for you.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 05 May 2016, 12:01 am
Senior Cruiser

Okay well I have heard back from the guy to whom I sold the 2005 GT pcm. This was sort of a double experiment to confirm not only that a TE could use the GT pcm with no issues, but also use a 2005 pcm in a 2004 application without issues as well. I verified that not only was the part number correct for the GT pcm, as was the car and VIN it was removed from, but I went one step further and connected my DS tuner to it to confirm that it would connect and give me the option of flashing one of the 'canned' tunes.

He has a 2004 TE turbo without ABS. I flashed his vin to the pcm and sent it to him. He installed it right away and he reports that there are no trouble codes present and no check engine light. He filled the car up with premium and drove the car for about 50 kilometers in mountainous terrain and didn't really notice any difference from the old pcm to the GT pcm tune. He also ensured that his cooling fan was cycling on and off as per usual too.

The lack of engine lights and trouble codes, despite the car not having abs, while the GT the pcm was removed from did, seems to confirm my suspicion that the BCM/cluster tells the pcm which options are present. Since the BCM/cluster wasn't programmed to have abs, the pcm doesn't search for it either and thus no codes shown.

Therefore it would stand to reason that if he were to install a GT cluster and autostick shifter, he almost certainly would have an abs code showing, since the GTs all had abs, and the cluster would inform the pcm that it is present. Of course the pcm can't find it and then light would come on.

Anyway the end result is that this latest info seems to corroborate that what had been hinted at in the past is correct; that you can turn your turbo Limited or turbo Touring into a GT with a simple pcm swap.

I will post his emails to me if he gives me permission to do so.

Last edited by myckee; 05 May 2016 at 12:21 am.
Old 05 May 2016, 09:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Mike,

That's awesome.

I never suspected that the instrument cluster acted as a BCM. But it makes perfect sense. And it also explains the results I got when experimenting with just a GT cluster. So in summary, a 2004/2005 GT PCM is plug and play in a 2004/2005 turbo lite with no issues. 2004 and 2005 PCM's are interchangeable (as we thought) and adding the GT PCM makes the turbo lite compatible with a DiabloSport tuner.

I guess you have put this one to bed once and for all. Congratulations.

PS: You should consider writing this up in a new thread and then get CREWZIN to make it a sticky.
myckee likes this.
Old 05 May 2016, 01:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you dig back you will find that this has been done in the past. Just that things like this have not been put were it could be found. Some had this fine by the dealer. But some say they can't. Who knows. Wonder if the second Gen can be done the same way?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 May 2016, 02:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Wow sounds good. I have the pcm sitting on my porch. I'll give ya a shout when you get back from your vacation. Enjoy.

Yes, my Touring Edition is a Turbo Lite. Had it about a month now.
Handy_Cruiser and myckee like this.
Old 06 May 2016, 06:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubx View Post
Wow sounds good. I have the pcm sitting on my porch. I'll give ya a shout when you get back from your vacation. Enjoy.

Yes, my Touring Edition is a Turbo Lite. Had it about a month now.
Thanks! I will send you a message when I return.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 09:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Well Cubx sent me his GT ECU and I flashed his vin for him. I don't have any details of the swap, so hopefully he will update this thread and tell of his results, but he did tell me that he installed it and he felt a "huge difference" over his Touring tuned ECU.
Fk5 and Handy_Cruiser like this.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Well Cubx sent me his GT ECU and I flashed his vin for him. I don't have any details of the swap, so hopefully he will update this thread and tell of his results, but he did tell me that he installed it and he felt a "huge difference" over his Touring tuned ECU.
Actually these are PCMs not ECUs but these get confused all the time from various makers. But for the not failure the PT has a Power control modual rather than a engine control modul. I myself say it wrong on occasion. one question. When going GT can the GT speedo be installed or will either work? And auto shift. Is that just with the trans control module?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com