PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo air intake hose cracking

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2016, 04:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Turbo air intake hose cracking

Anyone else experience constant engine intake hose rupturing at the turbo end? I have a 2008 limited and the original cracked ruptured at the turbo end due to heat at about 60k and now the 2nd has failed at 81k. The original was made of smooth rubber at the turbo end and the replacement I thought was made of a better material (porous like rubber) but it failed at about 21k. Should my turbo body really be getting hot enough to cause hose to fail?
Old 09 May 2016, 04:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo air intake hose cracking

I would think in this day and time that the hoses would cheapened up rather than good quality hoses failing in 1/3 the time a previous one did. My sons 03 GT hose failed recently as he was doing some maintenance work at around 115K. I had just bought a complete Turbo setup so we took the good hose and fixed the car.
You might check the lube and coolant lines for blockage though. One of the oil lines is particularly known to choke with carbon. Check the search function here.
Old 09 May 2016, 05:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Re: Turbo air intake hose cracking, I think I would carefully say common?

I kept extras on hand and gave them away to the few PT Cruiser customers (one a members here on this forum) I had with Turbo model PT's. I felt bad they came to me to do a simple tune up and I wrecked their intake hose....LOL. Not really but never the less I could not let them leave with a bad hose.

This reminds me I need to get my buddy that is a pick-n-pull hound to get me a couple more to have on hand.

BTW Grasshopper77 (David Carradine?) Welcome to the forum
chuzz likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 May 2016, 08:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Re: Turbo air intake hose cracking, I think I would carefully say common?

I kept extras on hand and gave them away to the few PT Cruiser customers (one a members here on this forum) I had with Turbo model PT's. I felt bad they came to me to do a simple tune up and I wrecked their intake hose....LOL. Not really but never the less I could not let them leave with a bad hose.

This reminds me I need to get my buddy that is a pick-n-pull hound to get me a couple more to have on hand.

BTW Grasshopper77 (David Carradine?) Welcome to the forum
wingman55 likes this.
Old 09 May 2016, 08:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Mine was in terrible shape around 115,000 miles. Had to get one from the dealership. My ass still hurts!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 10 May 2016, 11:33 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I just threw the whole air intake away lol, yes I'm sucking hot under hood air in, and yes the turbo will fail sooner, it's not a new car, it's a high miler that had years of poor maintenance prior to me owning it. My hotside softpipe is running up over the transmission, and I don't have it exactly how I want it. It sits too close to the air inlet to run any kind of intake so far.

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.95 at 118.41mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 10 May 2016, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
Anyone else experience constant engine intake hose rupturing at the turbo end? I have a 2008 limited and the original cracked ruptured at the turbo end due to heat at about 60k and now the 2nd has failed at 81k. The original was made of smooth rubber at the turbo end and the replacement I thought was made of a better material (porous like rubber) but it failed at about 21k. Should my turbo body really be getting hot enough to cause hose to fail?
You shouldn't have this going on. Many turbo PT's have well over a 100K miles on them with no deterioration of this air pipe at all. You may want to check your motor mounts to assure the engine isn't rocking too much and pulling on the pipe.

For a replacement, the upper pipe between the turbo and air filter box is fairly easy to find at salvage yards. It's the lower pipes that seem to be hard to find undamaged. Salvage yards like to drag cars around with no wheels on them and/or pick them up with forklifts. Both can damage the lower pipes.

You can also find plenty of aftermarket pipes, especially the upper one. Just search eBay for "PT Cruiser turbo pipe". Many examples will come up. Some of these are universal but can be cut to fit. You can also get an aftermarket cold air intake that goes all the way to the turbo. I believe K&N and several other companies make ones like this. Here's a link to some on eBay.

pt cruiser k&N intake | eBay
Old 10 May 2016, 01:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Turbo air intake hose cracking

Thanks for the welcome and info. The first time it blew was around 60k and I made an emergency pipe with the a k&n metal pipe and plastic elbow until the new part came in. I just hate using it as the pipe gets pretty hot and don't want risk melting the coolant hoses or any other hoses in that area. I noticed the original, the upper and lower boot was made of the same material and lasted 60k. The oem replacement that failed around 20k, the lower boot is a differnt material than the original. Got a new one today for 110 bucks via 2nd day air from amazon and it's made exactly has the one that failed at 20k. I'm was thinking these are older models but it was stamped mfr 2016. Guess chrysler went cheap on the new version. Luckily I have the life time warrenty if the turbo fails!
Old 10 May 2016, 01:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Jut wantef to clarify. The hose is really becoming brittle and cracking at the clamp location on the turbo end. Either my turbo is running hot or these are just crappy hoses/material.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160510_142103.jpg (82.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 10 May 2016, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes this the one that does get brittle and crack at the Turbo side even on engines that are well kept and under 100k miles.

This is a semi unreported forum part that goes bad more often then many realize. If we had more members that worked on more then thier own PT's I think we would see more reports about that hose being bad.

I would say now that the subject has come up that all Turbo Model PT Cruiser owners should go take a look at theirs.

Maybe I should see if Bruce, Mel, Allan and a couple others I know of that had to replace their will come on a respond on this thread?
SPLNeon and wingman55 like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN