Catch can or small filter?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By revo
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2016, 10:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Catch can or small filter?

This might be a noob question but I don't care,best method for cai hook up read lots of info dcr states 5hat the hose on driver side valve cover needs vacume. So my question is catch can in between valve cover and cai or filter cap off cai? Technical advise of best method very appreciated.
044400 likes this.

Last edited by revo; 23 Jul 2016 at 10:07 pm.
Old 24 Jul 2016, 10:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Catch can or small filter?

revo... Not a noob question IMO because on the internet and many forums this subjects gets jacked around with a lot of BS and inaccurate information many really do not know what to believe?

I vent the breather hose or the one that goes to the air box to atmosphere.
The exception would be on more performance engines and platform. Then I would use a crankcase evacuation systems.
There are picture I have posted about both somewhere on this forum?

IF you carefully read *how the PCV system works athen you may come to your own conclusion what you want to do.

The little filters that some install on the breather hose is for looks and really *serves no purpose.

Some vendors supply a complete catch can system that they make some interesting claims about its function. But then they are in the business to make money.$$$

If you simply think most things that are sold and told about engine mods are really about the looks (RACE APPEAL) then it is easy to find parts you like. I personally like RED parts.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Jul 2016 at 10:51 am.
Old 24 Jul 2016, 12:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo View Post
This might be a noob question but I don't care,best method for cai hook up read lots of info dcr states 5hat the hose on driver side valve cover needs vacume. So my question is catch can in between valve cover and cai or filter cap off cai? Technical advise of best method very appreciated.
The best I've found on PT's and other cars is to use a catch can with external vent. On turbo PT's this keeps blow-by off the air filter and out of the throttle body on NA PT's . And I'm sure these cars would have come from the factory with something like this if it wasn't for the emissions laws in some of the more polluted states.

For the small catch can, I used a 3/8" inline compressed air filter from Harbor Freight. I just had to revere the bleed valve in the bottom and remove the filter element. Here's a link.

http://www.harborfreight.com/mini-ai...ter-68225.html

And the the crankcase vent is from Advance Auto. Here's a link:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/k...crankcase+vent

Something else to consider on a turbo PT is installing a new PCV valve and an aftermarket 3/8" check valve between the intake manifold and the PCV valve. This cut my blow to practically nothing and helps stop the loss of boost pressure.

http://www.boombaracing.com/check-valve-10-mm-3-8/
rockandroller likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Jul 2016 at 12:35 pm.
Old 24 Jul 2016, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^^^That is one of those "for looks" and no function air filter on the breather hose I mentioned.

I will say for looks I have done it myself. the problem is that many that do this do not realize that you still need to clean the filter as it will become oil impregnated and clogged which can cause bad effects on the engines crankcase and remaining PCV system function.

And no they NEVER would have come form the factory 70's and newer manufactured with an open hose....regardless of emissions.
Think back in the 40's and 50's.
Why you ask?
They are just messy and have the potential to cause more pollution then just a little extra HC's and C0's going into the air when run outside a closed recovering system.

As for catch cans 95% of the ones offered do not do much to improve and reduce the opil vapor going back into the intake engine. You really get what you pay for when it comes to Catch Cans and who offers them.

IN the previous response there are some really poor example of cheezy catch cans of how common they are are and how so many waste their money buying them.

Re: Catch can or small filter?
OFF TOPIC:

The Boomba Check Valve is a good choice for improving the holding pressure of the intake system on a PT Cruiser TURBO model , but to completely utilize it design I recommend the AIRTEX PCV for TURBO PT Cruisers with a twist in PCV valve. It has been tested to be the best sealing of all the PCV valves on the market.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Jul 2016 at 12:44 pm.
Old 24 Jul 2016, 01:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

All right so I went with what dcr said and put mine in between Cai and valve cover is that going to help it breath still or is that going to put constant vacuumed and interfere with what the pcv is supposed to do. I have pictures but don't know how to post them here,I can put them in my album so you can see if 5his will be ok. Thanks for the reply appreciate the help.
Old 24 Jul 2016, 01:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
All right so I went with what dcr said and put mine in between Cai and valve cover is that going to help it breath still or is that going to put constant vacuumed and interfere with what the pcv is supposed to do. I have pictures but don't know how to post them here,I can put them in my album so you can see if 5his will be ok. Thanks for the reply appreciate the help.
PM sent

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Jul 2016, 01:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
There is more explanation and some Q&A than a simple answer which would not be fair to you or would it necessary be a complete answer with what you are trying to accomplish.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Jul 2016, 01:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Pm received will take you up on that offer when I get done with road call.Sunday and still have to go make boss happy one of them is the wife it's her money not mine😠