Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why niot platinum plugs in GT Turbo?

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2016, 04:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Why not platinum plugs in GT Turbo?

Why not platinum plugs in GT Turbo?

If they are recommended by factory?

and gapped appropriately?
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 29 Jul 2016, 05:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Why niot platinum plugs in GT Turbo?

Don't think the factory recommends them. Supposedly the turbo runs too hot for them.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

From what I've been able to find out, many platinum plugs use a platinum plated wire as the positive electrode. It appears that the platinum plating on the electrodes on some brands of platinum plug tend to degrade more when installed in turbocharged engines.

It's unclear whether this happens because there is more heat or if there is just more oxygen during some part of the compression cycle. But this idea has enough traction that some manufacturers don't recommend these plugs in their turbocharged engines.

I've found no clear guidance about "double platinum" plugs. With these, the wire is a platinum alloy with a purer plating of platinum over it. And it's not clear about using iridium plugs either. Some seem to be made of a solid iridium alloy and some are just plated.

For me, I returned to using standard copper plugs in my turbo PT's. I use the NKG brand plugs in just about all my vehicles.
MJKnight likes this.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The story I had heard is that the higher temperatures in a turbo combustion chamber cause the platinum electrode to delaminate - no such alert about iridium or problems with platinum on N/A PTs.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Jul 2016, 01:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Why not platinum plugs in GT Turbo?

well dad gum, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this.

Just don't understand how platinum is actually worse in a turbo situation.

Guess I'm gonna be a guinea pig on this and try them out and see what happens. I'm not planning any performance upgrades or looking for any increase in performance, just doing new MSD wires, NGK plugs and intake gaskets as kind of a maintenance thing.

New plugs are cheap enough I can replace them if they don't work out.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project

Old 30 Jul 2016, 11:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Why not platinum plugs in GT Turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
well dad gum, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this.

Just don't understand how platinum is actually worse in a turbo situation.

Guess I'm gonna be a guinea pig on this and try them out and see what happens. I'm not planning any performance upgrades or looking for any increase in performance, just doing new MSD wires, NGK plugs and intake gaskets as kind of a maintenance thing.

New plugs are cheap enough I can replace them if they don't work out.
You can't gain HP with plugs or wires. You can only recover what available HP your engine has. But longevity is probably what diffrences between types. They all feel great when you first put them in.
SPLNeon likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Jul 2016, 12:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

When I first got my gt cruiser, the local auto parts store gave me a set of them, as soon as I read the reviews on turbocharged engines and the slight possibility of problems, I pulled them and threw good ol champion coppers in.

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.95 at 118.41mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 07:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Champions Regular plugs work best per factory as others have stated here... platinum plugs too hot--make sure gap is correct---really makes big difference.
Old 04 Aug 2016, 08:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Just use the recommended Champion copper plugs. The engineers use them for a reason, not just because it's what was lying on the work bench at the time of assembly. And gap them at .042.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Aug 2016, 10:52 am
Senior Cruiser

No reason to be a guinea pig. I'm sure the car will run fine with them. The issue, is exactly what was said, they are easy enough to change, so why spend the extra money?

The plugs are not going to make power. In the old carbureted days, plugs were fuel fouling regularly because cars are never in tune for all situations. Fuel injected cars will run much cleaner and longevity became much more important. Especially when you are dealing with cars that require manifold removal or worse - I think some of the GEN IV Camaros almost required engine removal - to change plugs. IIRC, the purpose of platinum plugs was that they would last longer. The platinum erodes slower than regular copper plugs

As stated here, I had heard that the platinum coating would chip off under high heat/boost conditions. It is better to just use normal plugs and change them more often, but I have used platinums on my TT Stealth because it is a bitch to change them and we never boosted high enough for it to matter. In 180K miles I think we changed them once.