PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
GT ECU or Limited, how do I know what one I have?

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2016, 09:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default GT ECU or Limited, how do I know what one I have?

While inspecting my 06 PT Turbo lite I noticed mine was replaced in 2014, which means it could be from any turbo edition PT. my question is how do I find out which edition is it? I don't want to buy a Diablo sport tune and find out the ecu isn't a GT. Thanks! http://imgur.com/JUhkRiI Link to pic of ecu
Old 24 Aug 2016, 09:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: GT ECU or Limited, how do I know what one I have?

Many OBDII code readers will give you the software version. Ironically, the DS Trinity tuner also does this. Here's the original Cal. ID for my Touring Edition Convertible.

Once you have your Cal. ID (PCM Flash), you can look it up to see what it's for. The GT flashes have "H.O." in the description. Here's a link where you can download a list of PCM flashes with descriptions. PT44 is the wagon and PT27 is the convertible. The "Old Part Number" is usually the one on the front of the PCM and the "New Part Number" is usually on the side of the PCM. But you need to read it with a reader of some type to make sure.

https://kb.dcctools.com/index.php?Vi...4&AttachID=197
myckee likes this.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 10:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The provided pictured ECU R5033441AE is a Chrysler (MOPAR) rebuild ECU for a 2006 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER Touring 2.4L 4 Cyl DOHC 16V SMPI, 4-Speed Automatic.

Superseded # RL033441AE ; 05033415AI; 05033432AI; 05033441AB; 05033441AC; 05033441AD; 05033441AE; 05094454AI; 05094457AI; 05094691AH; 05094692AI; 05094693AA; 05094693AF; 05094694AH; 05094695AI; 05271929AB; 05271929AG

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Aug 2016 at 10:37 am.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 10:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by agall929 View Post
While inspecting my 06 PT Turbo lite I noticed mine was replaced in 2014, which means it could be from any turbo edition PT. my question is how do I find out which edition is it? I don't want to buy a Diablo sport tune and find out the ecu isn't a GT. Thanks!

Link to pic of ecu

That tag is good info. But you will definitely need to read the actual flash electronically to know what you have. It's possible that your PCM was updated or even flashed to fit another car when installed. This seems to be more the rule than the exception. As an example, according to the list I provided, some 2006 GT's came with a 05033441AE that was flashed to a 05094691AI, 05094692AJ or 05094693AF. This means that any of these PCM's could have started life as a 05033441AE. And/or possibly an R5033441AE if remanufactured.

However, odds are likely high that this was "replacement in kind" with a turbo lite PCM unless someone knew specifically what to ask for when they got this PCM. And beyond us car nuts, who does that?
myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Aug 2016 at 12:47 pm.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 01:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Itsa supplied to Chrysler/MOPAR dated rebuilt ECU. They have the most current firmware installed. I thought that maybe someone might suggest other thoughts that is why I posted other information in the response for more experienced ECU/PCM/TCM Technicians & even DIY who dable in pass-throughs and flashing tools.

We ran into this on a couple PT Cruisers last year (1 is still waiting payment on parts) at the shop and I learned about the Dealer rebuilt PCM's and what and why they were replacing new PCM for some Chrysler platforms from the Chrysler Tech center and ALL Data.

That is all I am going to say as many people have not come across these rebuilt dealer PCM's yet or would know updates and or flashes would not be necessary unless some Technician at a dealership didn't know what they were doing resolving a DTC issue?
Oh and these Dealer PCM rebuilt units are the most expensive available which is another reason I doubt anyone used them for anything except exact application. At least for a couple more years then who can say?

But as Handy suggested it is always nice to verify PCM information if you ever plan on doing any upgrades that may require changes the calibration in a the PCM?
Handy_Cruiser and chuzz like this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Aug 2016 at 01:07 pm.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 01:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

As Handy said, the number you see on the sticker, 5033441 is the hardware part number, but says nothing about what software is installed. That part number was used for in all flavors of 2006 turbo PTs with and without ABS, be it lite or GT. The software, which you will need a scanner to read, is the actual calibration file which will dictate whether it is a GT or lite.

Again like Handy said, since that ECU is a rebuilt unit bought through the dealer, it will almost certainly have the correct turbo lite calibration inside since it would have been programmed by the dealer at time of install.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The *Chrysler PT Cruiser rebuilt PCM units are model year specif and only need the VIN when ordering for correct coding. Not firmware updates.

Not sure why this is such a issue as I have said I personally have *ordered and installed 2
And other members have *done how many?????
Some of this information can be accessed through the Dealer support programs available at some shops as well ALL Data.

This is ALL that is required when ordering a DEALER REBUILT PCM
Vehicle Information

Enter your full VIN in order to ensure accuracy of the order.
VIN

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Aug 2016 at 02:37 pm.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 02:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

RE-reading all the responses, I think that we are all saying the same thing just all wording it differently?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Aug 2016, 04:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
RE-reading all the responses, I think that we are all saying the same thing just all wording it differently?
Agreed, but your way is super convoluted. lol. The reason why you need to supply your vin is for either the dealer or rebuilder to install the correct calibration file before it is delivered into the customers hands. That's why you can't just order the hardware part number alone and end up with a working ecu.

Nitro, next time you have one of those customers car available, hook up your snapon solus, as opposed to your other cheapy scanner, and read the calibration data. I guarantee it will not be the same as the hardware part number. This is evident on the factory installed ecus as well since they all came with a sticker on the side stating the calibration part number as well as the last 6 digits of the vin etc.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 05:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I dont use cheapie ECU access tools (I am waaaaay beyond that... )for ECU/PCM encoding, firmware,software version, program licencing, verification or data information including the last ECU accessed dates.

There just is ZERO support interest 4 business opportunity regarding anything PT Cruiser to even talk about it.

And I mentioned the requirement for the VIN a couple times in my responses....for ordering a PCM

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Aug 2016 at 05:10 pm.