Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Psi-Fi PowerPaq installed. WOW!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2004, 12:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Psi-Fi PowerPaq installed. WOW!!!

I met with Anthony and Mark at Psi-Fi Motorsports in NJ to have the PowerPaq installed on my PT. www.psifimotorsports.com

First let me say that Anthony, Mark, and Mike are great to deal with and I was very impressed with the products and service that they provide. Some people on the SRT forums have complained about communications but I had no such problems. They are quite busy though. I called a week ago to set up an appointment and they were all out of PowerPaqs.

Because this was the first PT that they have done they started from scratch with an aluminum backing plate to hold the brains and map sensor.

Then Anthony had to find a good place to mount the PP. Not much room in the engine bay of the PT. The best place was on the top of the fuse box.

Then the installation began. They disconnected the connectors from the PCM and soldered the PP to the ECU harness. A wiring diagram is included in the package.

They said that the few problems people have with the install is they don’t solder the wires properly. This is important because butt connectors do not transfer the proper signal to the PP.

After all of the wires were connected and wrapped in electrical tape they began removing and re-plumbing all of the vacuum lines and added a Turbosmart MCB.

These are the vacuum lines that were removed from the car.

They then connected a laptop to the car to insure that everything was working. Then the testing and tuning began. I am not sure what values were changed. Mark did the tuning while I was driving.

My first impressions, WOW!!! The car pulls a lot harder. The HP and torque increase feel about as much as when I installed Stage 1. I am taking the car to the track to get actual track times.

Cost $550 for PowerPaq plus installation.

Recommended upgrades: MCB and Upgraded waste gate actuator.

If you have Psi-Fi do the install, it is helpful to have a bung installed so that they can test with their wide band sensor.

Thanks Psi-Fi for a great product.[:X]

Keith
Old 11 Jun 2004, 05:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ksquared11, Is this hooked up with s1 still in car? The install looks clean. Are you getting any kind of bite off a dead stop? If they dialed it in, I for one sure would like to see you do a 103@13.90. And nail a good light.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 05:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

I am running Stage1 with stock tires. I can't nail it from a stop because of the tires. Next thing that I upgrade.

I am on my way to the track now and will post times when I get back. I am hoping to get into the 13s but I was stupid and filled my gas tank today without thinking.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 10:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I live in Cherry Hill, been thinking about getting the PP. Are you going to get dyno'd anytime soon? I am curious what kind of power gains you get.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 10:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

I am back from the track. I had disappointing numbers, 14.4 @ 98. This was due to my poor driving. Spun the tires through first and part of second, then I got a hood pin stuck in my back tire on the way down the track. I only had one run tonight.

This was 2 tenths and 2 MPH faster than my best time. I was running with a full tanks of gas rather than the 1/2 to 1/4 I usually have. I know that the car will run in the 13s on my next run.

Due to the Supernationals at Raceway Park I won't be able to run next week. Maybe I will make a trip to Atco for some better times.

As for getting it dyno'd, I think that track times will give people a better idea of what to expect. Dyno numbers can be so deceiving. Even so I may get it Dyno'd just for curiosity.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 10:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Not bad times considering everything that was against you tonight. Question, do I need S1 first, or can I get PP and add S1 later? Or should I just wait till Oct when I get my reenlistment bonus and do all at once?
Old 11 Jun 2004, 10:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Very Cool!!!![?]

How much boost were you running in that run? Did PsiFi activate the ignition retard feature also?

Thanks for taking the lead on this mod & sharing your experiences. I'm definitely interested in doing this but I want them to have a good handle on installing their system in a PT before I buy since I would have to do all the installation myself.

Aloha,
Mark
Old 11 Jun 2004, 11:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

I recommend that you have stage 1 with the PP, an upgraded waste gate, and a MBC. edit(or better still and EBC)

I am running about 16 pounds of boost with a spike of 20. I don't know if they activated the ignition retard feature.

The install for the PT is the same as the SRT-4. The only difference in the install is the location of the PP on the fuse box instead of behind the head light. The maps used would be slightly different due to the different intake used for the PT.

If anyone has to do an install by themselves I would be happy to send detailed pictures of my car. They have a diagram of how to wire the PP to the ECU and the vacuum lines.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 02:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Is there a reason for recomending a MBC?

I understand that it is cheaper but it is not reliable. Why spend all the money in all that electronics and then install a MBC...

If you adjust a MBC in a hot day, it will increase boost in a cold day and no way to control it other than parking the car, adjusting, and driving to test it, if not where you want it, repeat.

If done the other way (adjust it in a cold day) it will decrease boost in a hot day lowering your output.

A good EBC will keep the boost you dial into it no matter the weather, thus giving you constant HP numbers. you can adjust how fast you want the turbo to spool up and you can even adjust it for what ever RPM you want.

You can set it up with a MBC but the electronic one will give you even better performance.

Just $0.02

Ian
Old 13 Jun 2004, 05:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The Hepcats at Psi-fi are awesome!!!

They have supplied many wonderful parts for my SRT-4!