PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New PT Owner Turbo Questions

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2016, 09:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New PT Owner Turbo Questions

I just bought a 2005 PT limited edition turbo for my wife. It's really nice. Only 35,000 miles on it. From my understanding this is the "turbo lite" version of the engine? Same engine as the 220hp GT just detuned to 180hp? So if this is true my obvious question is, What do I need to do to get the 220hp out of my engine? This is my first PT cruiser and it's in absolutely excellent condition. I would love to turn it into a mustang spanking sleeper haha! Or at least squeeze all I can out of it without major modification. It will still be a daily driver for my wife and probably our new family road trip vehicle. Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.
Old 14 Oct 2016, 09:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New PT Owner Turbo Questions

Welcome to the forum

I would suggest before you spend a lot of time and money to go find a shop and get a DYNO run to get an idea of where you are actually starting from.

I can tell you that there are very few 220whp+ PT stock!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Oct 2016, 09:42 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum

Please post some pics of your PT when you get a chance
Old 14 Oct 2016, 10:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitter View Post
I just bought a 2005 PT limited edition turbo for my wife. It's really nice. Only 35,000 miles on it. From my understanding this is the "turbo lite" version of the engine? Same engine as the 220hp GT just detuned to 180hp? So if this is true my obvious question is, What do I need to do to get the 220hp out of my engine? This is my first PT cruiser and it's in absolutely excellent condition. I would love to turn it into a mustang spanking sleeper haha! Or at least squeeze all I can out of it without major modification. It will still be a daily driver for my wife and probably our new family road trip vehicle. Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice.
You are correct, the only thing that changed was the tune in the PCM. So, all you need to find is a used or refurbished PCM from a 2004 or 2005 GT, program your VIN into it, and install it.

The only other thing that differs is the muffler and while others feel this is insignificant, from my rather limited testing, not only does the GT muffler have a different part number, it is also significantly lighter, and less restrictive than the Lite muffler.

That said, the PCM is the biggest factor to get you closer to the rated numbers of the GT.
Old 14 Oct 2016, 10:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks myckee. That's what I was thinking but I wasn't 100% sure. My search for PCM begins then. I've got a good exhaust guy and that will be the next project. I'll post some pics tomorrow when it's light out. This PT is absolutely the nicest used car I've ever bought. It's practically new. I never really liked em before but I kept going back and looking at it and it kept growing on me. So far I'm extremely happy with it. Really neat little car.
rckstein likes this.
Old 14 Oct 2016, 10:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
You are correct, the only thing that changed was the tune in the PCM. So, all you need to find is a used or refurbished PCM from a 2004 or 2005 GT, program your VIN into it, and install it.

The only other thing that differs is the muffler and while others feel this is insignificant, from my rather limited testing, not only does the GT muffler have a different part number, it is also significantly lighter, and less restrictive than the Lite muffler.

That said, the PCM is the biggest factor to get you closer to the rated numbers of the GT.
Not sure about muffler....
Speedometer in GT goes to a higher MPH.
Trans in all Lites is automatic, and the same as GT automatics, but in a GT you have "autostick" control, and gear is displayed in dashboard.
All GTs have thicker front disks - you can get them in a Lite but they're an option.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Oct 2016, 12:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Welcome to the forum

I would suggest before you spend a lot of time and money to go find a shop and get a DYNO run to get an idea of where you are actually starting from.

True dat!
The "advertised" horse power is rated at the crank, not the wheels, so going with a GT PCM should net you about 190+/- at the pavement or on a dyno. A better plan would be to forget the GT PCM upgrade and hunt up a Stage 1 PCM. For the same amount of time, effort and probably not much more money, you can leapfrog the Turbo Lite past the power level of the GT. Definitely spank worthy.

As a general rule when you see the advertised HP, it's at the crank because that's how the engines were tested. But when you see HP claims about the Stage 1 PCM, it's at the wheels because they were "tested" on chassis dynos not engine dynos.
(Keep in mind, I'm not an expert and my 2 cents is worth exactly that.)
Old 16 Oct 2016, 12:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hahaha my response was sorta a trick?

I wanted to see who would bite and what the response would be.

I like yours. But then you are a smarter then average bear when it comes to performance experience.

My main point as I suggest to many off forums is start with a baseline DYNO pull so you dont get disappointed when you spend hundreds/thousands and not see what is claimed on the internet for net results with your own ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
If more were to see actual unloaded engine DYNO results they would go "OMG your kidding thats all!!!"

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 16 Oct 2016 at 01:03 pm.
Old 16 Oct 2016, 01:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
True dat!
The "advertised" horse power is rated at the crank, not the wheels, so going with a GT PCM should net you about 190+/- at the pavement or on a dyno. A better plan would be to forget the GT PCM upgrade and hunt up a Stage 1 PCM. For the same amount of time, effort and probably not much more money, you can leapfrog the Turbo Lite past the power level of the GT. Definitely spank worthy.

As a general rule when you see the advertised HP, it's at the crank because that's how the engines were tested. But when you see HP claims about the Stage 1 PCM, it's at the wheels because they were "tested" on chassis dynos not engine dynos.
(Keep in mind, I'm not an expert and my 2 cents is worth exactly that.)
I just did the upgrade from a turbo lite PCM to a custom Stage 1. You will not be disappointed with the improvement in street performance. It's pretty profound.

For the 2005 turbo lite, there's two well know options. FWD Performance can sell you one turn-key for around $299. It will be a used PCM that has been flashed to Stage 1 programming by Flight Systems that did the original Stage 1 PCM's. They will put an original Mopar label on it too. The other option is Syked ECM Tuning for $199. For this option you will need to provide your own donor PCM. Syked has both an original Mopar Stage 1 tune for the 2005 Automatic. And he may also be able to do a custom tune with improved shift tables for the transmission plus a view other goodies and improvements.

Both of these options come with your VIN flashed into them so they will work with your SKIM system. If you find and purchase a used Stage 1 PCM somewhere else, you will still need to have your VIN flashed into it.

I've used both of these options. The effects will likely make you smile. This is especially true going from the turbo lite to the Stage 1. It's night and day. Since I don't race, taking Dyno measurements would have little use for me. So I don't know what, if any, performance increase you get at full throttle. But for street performance, either of these is a very good option with a few caveats better discussed offline by PM.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Oct 2016 at 01:18 pm.
Old 16 Oct 2016, 01:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

FYI/ALL.... I have been informed by more than one source that there is a shortage of TURBO CHARGED PCMs re-buildable cores.

If anyone orders a STAGE 1 from any source except a dealer you may want to get an ETA.
Not many suppliers stock one anymore because of very low sales volume.

Many times on forums members posting results of upgrades without at least a before and after DYNO pull are seat of the pants response or what is referred to as "butt" DYNO reports.

I can tell you that at least 2 members on this forum have done similar upgrades with PCM and calibration devices that did not get what they expected based on reports from other members.

Results vary tremendously and are directly related to the condition of the engine and drive-train before any upgrades are done.

Threads that may be of interest:

Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...yno-lying.html

PT problems read this FIRST

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN