Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Get rid of the WOT hesitation...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2004, 02:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Get rid of the WOT hesitation...

(This is a compilation of my posts over the weekend at PT Crew but I wanted to post it here for those that don't hang out over there)

At about 5000 miles I regapped my plugs down to .045. It did seem to help some for a while. Well I am now at about 16,000 miles and the stumble has been getting worse. I even had the PCM replaced under the TSB with no good result. This morning (on Sat) I pulled the plugs to check them and within the last 11,000 miles the gap had opened up to .055 or more. Wow, that really happened fast. I gapped them down to .042 this time. All I can say is that this made a huge difference. I have driven the car all weekend now and can say that this really seemes to be the asnswer. The stumble is almost completely gone.

Bottom line is, I seemed to burn the plug gap wider very quickly (11,000 miles) compared to the recommended service on these so I will be checking my plugs about every 5000-7000 miles from now on. So go check your plugs!

Also, I found the specs on the resistance of stock wires. It was over 2200 Ohms of resistance for all 4 wires! Yikes! I gotta get some good wires under the hood of my car. A good set of performance wires might have 50-100 Ohms per foot. This will make a big difference too.

So my final verdit is...CLOSE THE GAP UP! The car really pulls at WOT now. I drove it all weekend and it is great. I would not be afraid to go to .040 like Flashbk2 did. I am going to get new plug wires after reading the specs on the stock wires though. I am looking for the specs on the stock coil. I have read that most factory coil packs in modern cars really put out a charge and that replacing it is usually not needed. If I find anything on it I will post.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 10:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

How is the idle on your GT. Mine is somewhat rough, but it has been this way since new. I have been putting off playing with the plug gap, lazy, too see if this might help. Did you notice any change in your idle quality? What condition were your plugs in @16K mi, just curious. Are you runnng the stock plugs? any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 15 Jun 2004, 01:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ptgtcb

How is the idle on your GT. Mine is somewhat rough, but it has been this way since new. I have been putting off playing with the plug gap, lazy, too see if this might help. Did you notice any change in your idle quality?
My idle has always been rock steady, no change in that with this adjustment

Quote:
quote:What condition were your plugs in @16K mi, just curious. Are you runnng the stock plugs? any info would be appreciated. Thanks
The plug color was good. Burning very clean. The gap had just opened way up since my initial re-gap at 5000 miles and that was inducing the WOT hesitation. As I said above, I am going to check them more often from now on. It really doesn't take that long.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come