Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Technique for prepping spark plugs before gapping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2004, 04:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Technique for prepping spark plugs before gapping

Don't know if anyone is interested, butI used to use this technique on my mustang and I just did it on my plugs over the weekend when I gapped them down. MM&FF magazine, one of the Mustang mags, did a dyno test just doing this between pulls and they were able to show a 5 # ft increase.

Anyhow, this is what they did.

You cut the ground electrode back with a Dremel tool roughly 1/2 to 1/3 so the center electrode is exposed almost completely. Then you round the corners off. This causes the plug to fire to the side exposing the "flame" 100% and not shielded by the ground electrode.

This is a technique NASCAR has been using for years. Bosch now picked up on the idea with their new plugs that have four ground posts on the side exposing the center electrode totally.

Amazingly, you "feel" a noticable throttle response by doing this and lessens the need to index the plugs

from this site http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...+gap+electrode
Old 15 Jun 2004, 04:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sorry Cal had to do it.

\'03 Electric Blue GT, silencers removed, K&N intake, Blanes Hood Struts, Emblems removed from rear hatch, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Eibach springs, 18x8 Mille Miglia EV-R on 225/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2, Eibach sway kit F&R, BTG Strut Bar, Chrome fuel door, custom 3\" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow High-flow muffler, Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Autometer Triple gauge pod, Autometer Ultra-lite with boost/vac, oil press and water temp gauges, Turbochargers.com wastegate, turboxs DSBC, Adams UCP, Dynoworks motor mounts with more to come.....
Old 15 Jun 2004, 05:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Cal, now you two back to work!!

John
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rice_killing_GT

Sorry Cal had to do it.
R_K_GT, guess you may be right. I can visualize it becasue I read the mag first and they had a pic. I will see if I still have it, but I doubt it. I am going to buy new plugs soon just to have something tp do to my car and I will take a pic if I can't find the article.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 15 Jun 2004, 09:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Found this pic on the thread Cal originally linked to. I sorta figured he'd want us to look that thread over or else he wouldn't have mentioned it, right??? R_K_GT, shame on you!

Old 16 Jun 2004, 12:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike-in-Orange

Found this pic on the thread Cal originally linked to. I sorta figured he'd want us to look that thread over or else he wouldn't have mentioned it, right??? R_K_GT, shame on you!

LOL, sorry I just read the first post on that link and never went any further.

\'03 Electric Blue GT, silencers removed, K&N intake, Blanes Hood Struts, Emblems removed from rear hatch, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Eibach springs, 18x8 Mille Miglia EV-R on 225/40/18 BFG g-Force T/A KDW 2, Eibach sway kit F&R, BTG Strut Bar, Chrome fuel door, custom 3\" cat-back exhaust with Magnaflow High-flow muffler, Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Autometer Triple gauge pod, Autometer Ultra-lite with boost/vac, oil press and water temp gauges, Turbochargers.com wastegate, turboxs DSBC, Adams UCP, Dynoworks motor mounts with more to come.....