Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mopar/Borla Dual Exhaust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2004, 12:02 am
Young Cruiser

Default Mopar/Borla Dual Exhaust

I just picked up the Mopar/Borla Dualies (2.5"). It was an easy installation, as everything lined up perfectly. The time-consuming item was that of cutting the hole for the additional tip. What wonders can be done with a Dremel tool. Anyways, they sound fine; could use a little more throat, but hey it's only a 4 cylinder and I rather be able to talk to a passenger without yelling.

PS - Thanks Tommy for making the purchase a smooth one.
Old 16 Jun 2004, 05:59 am
Cool Cruiser

My exhaust and s1 should be here today, both coming from Tommy, he sure seems to be a class guy, as is his dealership on price and service. I second that thanks Tommy[|)]

Oh and the Dremmel thing, I have five of them, three corded and two cordless. I use them so often for my hobbies, it is easier to have different tools mounted in each, less changing.
Tom
Old 16 Jun 2004, 12:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hammer,
I think you will find that the tone of the exhaust will change some as you put some miles on it. I have had Borlas on 2 mustangs and now my PT and they always seem to improve with age. I was looking at your setup in your signature and if you are still using the stock airbox to turbo pipe, I would suggest that you look at getting a less restrictive straight thru one from AMX or build one like I did. The Airaid is a great piece, but with the bigger pipe you will feel a big difference in how quickly the turbo spools. I was really surprised at the difference.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 18 Jun 2004, 10:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Hey onedivinehammer, I was wondering what "bit" did you use on your dremel tool to do the cut out for the 2nd opening. I should be ordering my Mopar exhaust next week!!!! How hard was the install and cuting of the rear fascia? [:I]

Old 20 Jun 2004, 12:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gunner

Hey onedivinehammer, I was wondering what "bit" did you use on your dremel tool to do the cut out for the 2nd opening. I should be ordering my Mopar exhaust next week!!!! How hard was the install and cuting of the rear fascia? [:I]

You can cut it out with good scissors, or what I used was "Roto-Zip" bit, in a Dremmel, it is soft and cuts quick, so be ready for it.
Tom
Old 22 Jun 2004, 12:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gunner

I used a pair of shears and cut the opening a little bit undersized. Then I took the Dremel and used a sanding bit to clean it up. Be real careful when using the Dremel! It can get away from you very easily and remove more material then you had originally planned on...[xx(] Trust me, I know.
2003 GT - Patriot Blue. Mopar/Borla \"Turbo\" 2.5\" dual exhaust, K&N panel filter, AMX1397 intake pipe, dual guage pod, Autometer Phantom boost and volt guages, shorty antenna, back-up light trim rings, Streamline logo flames & antenna bezel flames(purple/blue color change), airbag flames(chrome), headlight flames, wheel center logos, billet doorlock pulls, racing pedals, Sylvania Silver Star headlight & turn signal bulbs- front & rear, \"super white\" foglight bulbs, \"clear marker\" tail lights, purple washer LEDs, hi-note horn, brushed billet fuel door, body color antenna bezel, cabin air filter.
Old 02 Jul 2004, 11:17 pm
Young Cruiser

My exhaust came in on Wednesday, and today it was installed. I love the sound ( although it could be a little deeper )and judging by "ass"celarometer it seems a bit livlier. I do have a question for all the other folks who have this. I noticed a puddle of water under where the first section of new pipe joins the old. Is this a leak, or is it normal. Also, how long before the oily smell goes away. Thanks Tommy! You have yourself another happy customer.
Old 03 Jul 2004, 12:57 am
Young Cruiser

Sounds like a leak to me, might want to tighten up the clamp or whatever joins those two sections

Harry

How come "The People" in the First Amendment means The People; "the People" in the Fourth Amendment means The People; but "the People" in the Second Amendment (ratified in 1791) means the National Guard (created by an Act of Congress in 1903)?
Old 03 Jul 2004, 07:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hharper1321

Sounds like a leak to me, might want to tighten up the clamp or whatever joins those two sections

Harry
The water leak is just the condesation that builds up overnight from the hot exhaust cooling and drawing cooler moiture laden air into the system. This condesation is normal. You can try wrenching down the clamps but water will go where is wants pretty much. Also, Borla has a specific torque recommendation for the clamps and it is not very much. I snapped one once and had to order a new one. I think the torque was only about 36#'s. The "good" part about it leaking out is that it doesn't go back though the pipes and muffler again. The condesation contains a lot of very caustic chemicals that are the cause of much of the exhaust system failures. They are extremely corrosive and even though our Borlas are stainless, it can eat them up from the inside.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 04 Jul 2004, 12:15 am
Young Cruiser

I took the PT out for a good little romp today. During my drive I pulled over and stuck my head under the car to check the area where the condesation appeared to be coming from before. There was no dripping at all. I'll keep my eye on it and let you know if anything changes. THANKS for your replies!!!!!