PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Finally decided on my exhaust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jun 2004, 05:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt
Default Finally decided on my exhaust

OK. So I just ordered my maxxfab 3 inch DP, no cat...and tomorrow or soon thereafter Ill be getting the Trubenz single 2.5. Yipee!

So...got a ? Can SS be welded to aluminized steel easily? or is that 3 inch clamp going to cut it? [:I]

I'll try my hardest to get a soundclip hosted so you guys can hear that specific setup...
Old 23 Jun 2004, 08:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sound clips, pictures, 1/4 mile times......c'mon girl, we gotta see it all!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 08:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Saki -

From my previous review of the Trubenz system, there seemed to be a compatibility issue with the Maxxfab downpipe. I don't mean to give you undue concern, because slight modification of exhaust tubing, if necessary, is not rocket science.

The issue is with the Trubenz resonator/muffler being right at the front edge of the exhaust system where it mounts up to the stock cat. The Maxxfab downpipe is designed to slip over a 2.5 inch pipe at that point. At worst you may need to have a muffler shop or competent welder do a little adjustment for you. Maybe Trubenz has changed their system up a little bit since I looked. Or maybe you had Scott make something custom for you.

Aren't you going to have problems with no cat in terms of check-engine-lights and state inspections? Saki, I like your car and your strong direction, and I'm just trying to understand - not flame.

The 3 inch stainless steel clamp that Maxxfab provides works great. It stretches and seals tight over the joint. But, yes you can weld the stainless steel to the mild steel tubing (with aluminized coating) if necessary.

Old 23 Jun 2004, 09:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

As far as the compatability issue...there's a first for everything! Although I appreciate the heads up.

Looking at the pic, I see your concern quite clearly. Hopefully that little piece will be enough [:0]

I live in FL, so no inspections here anymore.

I am living with a constant check engine light now. It's stopped bothering me at this point. I would say that problem would be remedied by the addition of their O2 sensor but apparently theres ANOTHER one INSIDE our cat. WTF. When I get under there, and if I get the time to play around with it, I may see if adding a resistor could change that.

Sound was my main concern w/ deletion of the cat. I strongly feel that the resonator and muffler from the "cat" back will tone it down a bit. We shall see...

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 23 Jun 2004, 10:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

You should wait for the trubendz D.P. Tube or CAT? There should be no fit problems with it. Are you getting the "new" system for the GT. When I talked to them they told me to call and order the new system. They still have the original systems, at least the last time I spoke with them and the difference between the old and new system is the inlet to the resonator and the resonator it's self, it is only 2 1/4 and the new system is 2 1/2 straight through. Just want to make sure you get the right system. They also make it in S.S.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 11:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Saki-

I think that Trubenz system will be great for you. Here's how you're going to need to modify it to work with the Maxxfab downpipe: You'll need to move the resonator back on that first section of pipe about 6 - 8 inches and add a new short section of 2.5 inch tubing in front of the resonator. The reason for this is that the standard little short section in front of the resonator is designed to slip over the stock 2.25 inch outlet from the cat - so it's too small to work with the Maxxfab pipe that's designed to slip over 2.5 inch tubing. Additionally, the Maxxfab DP is longer than the stock DP and cat because it's designed to eliminate that 2.25 inch section of the cat back systems which are designed to mate up to the stock cat. The Trubenz piece with the resonator on it will ulitmately need to be 4 inches shorter than it is stock, including a 3 inch section of 2.5 inch tubing in front of the resonator. Sounds more complicated than it really is, but it will work great when done.

P.S. Your car is one of few PT's I've seen (outside PTeaser company cars) that has a true hot rod look. It's looks complete and well integrated without that look of tacked on aftermarket crapola. Once you get the door handles body colored and the exhaust on, it will be perfect! You have great vision.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 04:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Saki,
My brother went through some changes with this system REF, you might want to send him some e-mail. I went ATP 3"down and cat, to BTG axle back, and it is sweet. You just might want to talk to my brother though as he worked with them to get this thing right. I have to say they were great to him in all his dealings with them.

2003 Electric Blue GT-30,000 Miles on the clock
Stage 1, Greddy Profec II B. Turbo Chargers Wastegate set to 13#. Forge Motors BOV (Blue of course). Brand AMX Intake/AirCooler Pipes/K&N Cone with Snorkel to Fender well, MSD Coil, Live Wires(Blue of course), Factory rear sway bar, KYB struts and shocks, BTG strut tower brace, Suspension Techniques 1.3\" F/R lowering springs, ATP 3 down pipe with high flow cat, BTG axle back exhaust, Rear Spoiler. Russel Brake Lines/Hawk Brake Pads/Power Slot Cyro Rotors on a four corners

Support Your Right to Arm Bears
Old 24 Jun 2004, 10:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

First off the trubendz system for the GT is not 2 1/4 inlet, they have redesigned it and is 2 1/2 inlet to tail outlet. Second Scott posted he could make his downpipe fit any system, but you need to contact him. You are not going to need to move your resonator down. All he would need to do is make it so it would fit a stock system. I would only make sense that the truebendz D.P. will bolt right up. The ATP will need about 6" of pipe added from the DP to the exhaust system, not a big deal at all and that is the way I might go depending on how the truebendz DP comes out as far as fit and finish.

Don't get discouraged by all this. Just get the redesigned Trubendz system and call Scott or wait for the truebendz D.P.
Good luck!
Old 25 Jun 2004, 12:01 am
Cool Cruiser

No way meant my remarks as discouraging. This is a great system, my brother was just on the bleeding, cutting edge of this DP. They I am sure have it down now and I KNOW it is nice stuff because I was all in my brothers stuff both on his dining room floor, and after the install.

Sakigt go for it I think you will like it. Like I said if you e-mail my brother, REF, he had a lot of conversations about this whole set up with this vendor(all very positive) and he might be able to explain something to help you out.

2003 Electric Blue GT-30,000 Miles on the clock
Stage 1, Greddy Profec II B. Turbo Chargers Wastegate set to 13#. Forge Motors BOV (Blue of course). Brand AMX Intake/AirCooler Pipes/K&N Cone with Snorkel to Fender well, MSD Coil, Live Wires(Blue of course), Factory rear sway bar, KYB struts and shocks, BTG strut tower brace, Suspension Techniques 1.3\" F/R lowering springs, ATP 3 down pipe with high flow cat, BTG axle back exhaust, Rear Spoiler. Russel Brake Lines/Hawk Brake Pads/Power Slot Cyro Rotors on a four corners

Support Your Right to Arm Bears
Old 25 Jun 2004, 12:14 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LAF

No way meant my remarks as discouraging. This is a great system, my brother was just on the bleeding, cutting edge of this DP. They I am sure have it down now and I KNOW it is nice stuff because I was all in my brothers stuff both on his dining room floor, and after the install.

Sakigt go for it I think you will like it. Like I said if you e-mail my brother, REF, he had a lot of conversations about this whole set up with this vendor(all very positive) and he might be able to explain something to help you out.
Absolutely not LAF! Your comments were right on, [?]. I only ment that there was a lot of discussion on this and it could easily cause someone to say the hell with it, if you know what I mean.
[^]