Advertisements
turbo 2004 intake manifold

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2017, 07:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default turbo 2004 intake manifold

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a better flowing intake manifold and I saw that some people replace the curved part of the intake by a curved aluminum tube. It looks like the more restrictive parts of it.
Who is the expert intake modification on this forum ? NitroPt maybe ?

Thanks
Alex
Old 06 Feb 2017, 08:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: turbo 2004 intake manifold

yup. nitro's thread is here. NitroPT manifold madness

it's still unfinished/untested. he's playing. he has 50 projects going at once. did you read his build thread? Nitro's PT Cruiser there's a lot of well crafted but quite odd things going on in there.

I never really understood WHY he was going to all that trouble for an intake... i mean i do but.. it's a cruiser.
NitroPT and wingman55 like this.

Last edited by rob302; 06 Feb 2017 at 09:06 pm.
Old 06 Feb 2017, 10:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Man has a mind like a windmill......Got's to be turning..........
rob302 likes this.

2004 Limited Edition Platinum Series Dark Graphite Metallic Clearcoat Turbolight A/T
Old 07 Feb 2017, 06:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Without starting an argument (as though I could ) there's some indication that the plastic (2005 and newer) turbo intake flows a little bit more evenly than the aluminum one. And it's a direct replacement.

If you look at some of the older threads and on websites like Darrell Cox Racing and others, what you will find is that serious competitive racers often go with SRT4 style intakes and an aftermarket style exhaust manifold that accommodates a larger turbo. This also allows the use of SRT4 aftermarket racing components. There are several good aftermarket intakes for the SRT4 depending on how far you want to take it.
Old 07 Feb 2017, 09:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The plastic not only flows less CFM and restricts the TB flow @WOT but will also not generate as much power even at high engine speeds.

The flow distribution is on the plastic is for idle not for any power increase. The plastic was primarily design as a cost reduction part for Chrysler.

The use of other intakes for performance use in regulated racing vehicles and high performance built engines are mostly based on mounting location not on flow capability although most are not CFM restricted allowing full flow of the chosen TB. Please note that most ALL of those are designed for high engine speeds and the low end torque and power levels are effected.

I suggest the aluminum intake and do some simple DIY head and port matching.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Feb 2017, 09:41 am
Regular Cruiser

I always thought that all these companies are using the composite manifolds for heat soak issues?

2004 PT GT 5-Speed! Project "THE RIDDLER"!!!
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...t-5-speed.html
Old 07 Feb 2017, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The plastic not only flows less CFM and restricts the TB flow @WOT but will also not generate as much power even at high engine speeds.

The flow distribution is on the plastic is for idle not for any power increase. The plastic was primarily design as a cost reduction part for Chrysler.

The use of other intakes for performance use in regulated racing vehicles and high performance built engines are mostly based on mounting location not on flow capability although most are not CFM restricted allowing full flow of the chosen TB. Please note that most ALL of those are designed for high engine speeds and the low end torque and power levels are effected.

I suggest the aluminum intake and do some simple DIY head and port matching.
Hah! I knew you'd likely come in with the argument piece.

As always, there's no evidence offered that the plastic intake does not perform as specified by Chrysler nor to refute the many positive reports of those that have switched to them. Until then, this is just one negative opinion against many positive ones.

But I sort of like the rest of Nitro's statement.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 Feb 2017 at 09:59 am.
Old 07 Feb 2017, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The only reference from Chrysler was that it be less costly to manufacture than the aluminum intake. The improved low RPM air distribution was not in the outlined project objective. What is also interesting is how the plastic intake was physically tested on an engine at Chrysler parts and development facility ...or not!
I would suggest that those that are good at finding internet information post the most widely viewed and read information from Chrysler or x-employee of Chrysler which has been available for years as the gospel about this subject of the plastic intake manifold.

Heat soak information regarding most things relating to performance of vehicles generally gets posted as empirical or factual on forums from their members and seldom those same members do any simple IAT readings or even using a hand held device to read temperatures of parts under the hood. As for a Turbo 2.4 aluminum or plastic intake manifold simple testing of IATs would conclude the plastic intake does not have improved IATs over the aluminum. Heat soak what it is and how to test and compare results between like parts, unfortunately on most all forums fewer understand heat soak and have tested comparing in this case having to do with PT Cruiser 2.4 intakes. Had they done so I believe their own conclusion would have been both generally are the same when it comes to the most important aspect of engine operation combined parts control of IAT's.

Negative responses about either intake are actually balanced between the two intakes but some may find the so called positive results about the plastic intake are so badly reported and there is no responses anywhere that can say that they did in fact get improvements based on switching only the intake manifold from aluminum to plastic giving even simple pre and post operating information viewed through the OBDII using a DBRII or equivalent diagnostic scanning tool viewing operation parameters i.e. temperatures values, timing,knock etc., or even a pre and post DYNO run. As an observance of human nature on vehicle forums people spending several hundred dollars for parts they think will improve performance based on word of mouth from the "Tribal gang" seldom express not gaining the improvements claimed by group.

IMO I do not think there is really NEGATIVE opinions or responses about the plastic intake. I have tried to post information over the years giving repeatable methods of testing and pictures of physical internal dimensions and even have done my own DIY flow experimenting using my Dwyer Magneheleic. Later I made a flow bench mount for both the plastic and aluminum intake used by 2 well known Performance Machine Shops I paid to flow test. This was during a period when I was contemplating the introduction of some performance parts PT Cruiser specific one of which was offering a modified aluminum intake. The "proprietary DATA" from both Performance shops is now used to port the standard OEM aluminum intake and 2.4 Turbo head by one vendor on this forum.

If some of you want to dump your Turbo PT Cruiser 2.4 aluminum intake manifold because you found a group on the internet, individuals posting wonderful things about it without the simplest of observed information from devices like a temperature gauge ...good for you..its your time and your money have fun with that!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Feb 2017, 12:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The only reference from Chrysler was that it be less costly to manufacture than the aluminum intake.....
Again, you are just posting hearsay and assumptions. It's okay that this is your opinion. There's lots of that on the internet. But it's an unproven opinion that has not been verified. And it contradicts what Chrysler has indicated. As we know, even the 392 SRT Hemi engine uses a plastic intake based on this same technology. It's much easier, faster and better to create advanced computer-designed intakes in a modern polymer composite rather than old-school cast aluminum. These often incorporate designs to improve flow that just can't be replicated using old methods. It would take real data to refute what has long become common knowledge by now and is in widespread use in many applications. And proudly, it was yet another advancement piloted in our PT Cruisers.

I know you have a deep place in your heart for old aluminum intakes. And that's KOOL. But let's not confuse wishful thinking with facts.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 Feb 2017 at 12:24 pm.
Old 07 Feb 2017, 01:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
.....members do any simple IAT readings......
here's my datalog of my 1992 ford with an aluminum intake. for me IAT's are decreased when RPM is increased. faster you drive the better it works... where the red and cyan were almost were touching my foot was to the floor and i was going a little over 100mph. you can see when i let off and the IAT goes back up, the ECT also increases momentarily. just feeding the fire and showing people how the IAT changes and the factors around it. i'll never have a plastic intake to test

Handy_Cruiser likes this.