Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Nitrous CO2 intercooler sprayer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2004, 04:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Nitrous CO2 intercooler sprayer?

Anybody have any info or has one on a GT Turbo[:I]
Old 25 Jun 2004, 05:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

I see two possible problems, useing CO2, if it gets sucked in may slow down the car.
N2O sucked in would give a boost, but very possible to lean out too much.
Remember, anything gas sprayed in front of car could get sucked into intake.

Stick with water or alky.

Tom
Old 25 Jun 2004, 05:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Airbillster

What I would really like to try is a water-to-air Aftercooler. Vortech sells a few of them, and they're one of my customers, but even then, it's not cheap for one at all.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 25 Jun 2004, 08:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TripleJackInGA

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Airbillster

What I would really like to try is a water-to-air Aftercooler. Vortech sells a few of them, and they're one of my customers, but even then, it's not cheap for one at all.
The problem with water to air, if it uses engine coolant, coolant temp is 180-210deg, outside air temp is much lower. If it is standalone,,,,,,,,$$$$$$$$$$$ and where would you mount it?
Tom
Old 25 Jun 2004, 10:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

somebody made an home depot one with a windshield washer motor and a home depot sprayer. The only prob is you need to use distilled water only or you'll goop up the intercooler AND water isn't going to cool it enough to get any major gains. A NOS setup like this
http://www.hondaproducts.com/IBS/Sim...id/305322.html it's good for about 85% of the power a wet NOS system gives and half the cost.[8)]
Va. Director - PT Owners Club
703-597-5354
2003 Electric Pearl Blue Flamed GT Turbo
Stage 1 equipped
Old 26 Jun 2004, 11:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Like tom said, CO2 systems don't work good with our cars. the way that it is setup, it will suck the CO2 and loose power.

Nitrous is better. I have to defer from Tom on this one. Nitrous in gas form is 75% less powerfull than liquid state (The way it is used is in liquid state, that is why it is recomended that it is as close to the throttle body) Nitrous will give you some HP increase from the gas going inside the engine but it will be about 5 HP, The bulk will come from supercooling the IC. Nitrous cools down when changing from a liquid to a gas stage to over -160#. freezing the IC and in turn cooling the intake charge drasticly. Much better than water or alcohol. Also it will leave no residue or drops on the track.

The downside, nitrous costs about $4.00 per pound. the NX kit comes with a five pound bottle, costing about $20.00 per fill, But it will last about three passes. You can get biger bottles( Up to 20LBS) but you will spend a lot of money in refills.

It is up to you to decide.

Ian
Old 26 Jun 2004, 01:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

OK,
I'll have to give in on the N2O gas, But it prob wouldn't be worth it unless you are hard core racing.
Tom

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ian-PT-GT

Like tom said, CO2 systems don't work good with our cars. the way that it is setup, it will suck the CO2 and loose power.

Nitrous is better. I have to defer from Tom on this one. Nitrous in gas form is 75% less powerfull than liquid state (The way it is used is in liquid state, that is why it is recomended that it is as close to the throttle body) Nitrous will give you some HP increase from the gas going inside the engine but it will be about 5 HP, The bulk will come from supercooling the IC. Nitrous cools down when changing from a liquid to a gas stage to over -160#. freezing the IC and in turn cooling the intake charge drasticly. Much better than water or alcohol. Also it will leave no residue or drops on the track.

The downside, nitrous costs about $4.00 per pound. the NX kit comes with a five pound bottle, costing about $20.00 per fill, But it will last about three passes. You can get biger bottles( Up to 20LBS) but you will spend a lot of money in refills.

It is up to you to decide.

Ian
Old 26 Jun 2004, 02:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

The intercooler is a sealed unit if you spray anything on the outside of the intercooler it will not get into the intake sytem. All an intercooler is .. like a rediator..

I have seen people spray water, nos, nitrogen, Co2 (Co2 can freeze the valves though)

WWW.prototypepower.com
ADAM
Old 26 Jun 2004, 07:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The NO2 is not going thru the Intecooler, it is an ait to air radiator. What I am saying is that It will go inside the engine compartment and be sucked in thru the intake tract. This is not a speculation it is a known fact. I have seen this first hand. The Nitrous will be minimal inside the engine.

The STR guys have used the CRYO CO2 system and boged the engine. The best way of using the CO2 is cooling the IC before a pass.

The Nutrous system can be used on the run for increased performance.

Ian
Old 26 Jun 2004, 10:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

my next door neighbor is a pro Audi racer, he is a Turbo expert. He uses the NOS intercooler charger and from what he says and all the research I've done you can get about 65 to 85% of what a wet nitrous system will give without the costs and hazzards of a wet system. We are working on building one for my cruiser using a 10lb bottle and a 3/4 pedal switch. I'll let you know how this comes out![8)]
It'll be similar to this http://www.hondaproducts.com/IBS/Sim...id/305322.html
Va. Director - PT Owners Club
703-597-5354
2003 Electric Pearl Blue Flamed GT Turbo
Stage 1 equipped