PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New sport compact says....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2004, 09:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt
Default New sport compact says....

The only gains they saw after putting an exhaust in the SRT-4 was due to the loss in backpressure, the change in boost seen was controlled back by the PCM. At best they saw 5hp. That 5hp is only seen when you drive your car haed all the time...to teach the PCM that is "normal"

Looks like Stage I and a map clamp is the way to go...

Thoughts?
Old 27 Jun 2004, 09:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Skagit,

I'm no expert on this but here is my two cents worth and what I have gleaned out of the SRT4 forums...

The Mopar cat-back exhaust is not needed until you go ABOVE Stage 1 boost levels. Mopar recommends upgraded exhaust to get the advertised HP ratings from Stage 2.

You do not need a MAP Clamp unless you run above 15 lbs. boost. Stage 1 will get you to 15 lbs. boost but the timing is not pulled back until you go above that level. That's why you see people claiming to run 16-18 lbs. boost but there quarter mile times are still low...they are making more boost but the timing is pulled back so far they are still making roughly the same HP.

So if you want to make more power than Stage 1 (w/o nitrous or other power adders)you need five things:

1. Stage 1

2. Manual or Electronic Boost Controller. The electronic is the best as it gives you more tuning ability. I plan on buying the GReddy Profec B Spec II from Hector at Exhaust Depot

3. A MAP Clamp set between 4.2-4.3 volts

4. An adjustable waste gate set to 13-14 lbs. boost. TThrift will have one for the PT available soon.

5. The Mopar/Borla cat-back exhaust or equivalent

Those five things when set up properly should give you Stage 2 or higher results.

Deen

GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 10:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sakigt

The only gains they saw after putting an exhaust in the SRT-4 was due to the loss in backpressure, the change in boost seen was controlled back by the PCM. At best they saw 5hp. That 5hp is only seen when you drive your car haed all the time...to teach the PCM that is "normal"

Looks like Stage I and a map clamp is the way to go...

Thoughts?
The srt-4 exhaust is already straight through from the factory.
I did not see the article did they replace the CAT as well?
Lets see sport compact mod a PT GT!