Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
reset computer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2004, 11:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Default reset computer

How often do you guys reset your computer to get the best performance? every other day, once a week, once a month etc. or better yet how fast does it take the computer to learn and go back into stock mode after reseting the computer? thanks in advance.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 09:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Apparently instantaneously...

The best way to get the best performance from your PCM is drive it hard! For example...I didnt realize it at teh time, but everytime I went down the track, the PCM got more and more "used" to that way of driving...by the end of the night my initial 15.1 had turned into a 14.6

Crazy stuff...

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 27 Jun 2004, 11:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

For those in CA. and other states that check the system monitors during a smog check should not disconnect the battery or "reset" the PCM at least 2 or 3 weeks before their test. When you disrupt battery power you clear the system monitors and in order to pass the I/M inspection the monitors need to be set and some monitors need very unusual circumstances to ready themselves and could take weeks to find the right set of circumstances to set. You are allowed 2 to be pending and I believe only 1 for 2005 and later.
Just a note,
Old 28 Jun 2004, 11:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by onyx pt

How often do you guys reset your computer to get the best performance? every other day, once a week, once a month etc. or better yet how fast does it take the computer to learn and go back into stock mode after reseting the computer? thanks in advance.
I reset mine before every run at the track.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 28 Jun 2004, 05:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

I put on a battery switch and disconnect it when I'm filling the tank. Disconnecting the battery resets the trip gage which I use to figure how bad the mileage is! PTGTCP, I don't understand why it would take weeks to reset. And, what do you mean your allowed two to be pending?
Old 28 Jun 2004, 06:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JPMS GT

I put on a battery switch and disconnect it when I'm filling the tank. Disconnecting the battery resets the trip gage which I use to figure how bad the mileage is! PTGTCP, I don't understand why it would take weeks to reset. And, what do you mean your allowed two to be pending?
Why dont you just push and hold the trip button??? [:I]

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 10:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Push and hold a button when you can disconnect a battery cable or install a monster switch?? You have got to be kidding.

Mike
Old 30 Jun 2004, 04:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Was I missunderstood? My point was that resetting the PCM "seems" to make a difference to me. So each time I fill up the tank I flip the battery terminal switch, check the fluids, clean the widshield, top off the tank and re-switch the battery and it's done. The trip gage resets it 0.0 but I write the mileage down before I disconnect the battery. The Sirius radio doesn't loose its settings so all is good to go. And, this is the best buzzzz a man my age can get, on a weekly basis.[8)]

Old 18 Aug 2004, 01:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Okay y'all...

This may sound like a silly question, but in order to reset the PCM, do you need to disconnect BOTH battery terminals, or just one. If one, which?

I've seen those green knobby things which are battery quick-disconnects, but they only go on the negative terminal.

I've tried doing both separately, but never lost any of my presets or anything, so it must not be working correctly.

Granted, the slight mods I have might not result in too much extra seat-of-the-pants horsepower, so even if it DID work, I might not notice all that much, anyway.

Anyway...do ya need to disconnect both terminals to reset the PCM?

Thanks!

2003 Patriot Blue GT
\"R\" Package
Autostick
K&N drop-in w/both airbox silencers removed
Brand \"X\" Turbo-up pipe
Old 18 Aug 2004, 01:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Just disconnect the negative (ground) terminal.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come