Blow off valve - Questions

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2017, 07:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Blow off valve - Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Re-read my description. The stock bypass valve releases the pressure into the exhaust. The Mopar BOV is a plate that redirects the released pressure in the atmosphere. That's what I said.

On the rest, I agree completely.
Handy, I don't usually get involved in right/wrong discussions, and I usually ask more questions than give answers here in the forum, but saying the "factory" system releases the pressure created by the turbo into the exhaust is incorrect. If you look at the turbo housing itself, you can see where the ports direct the released pressure directly back into the intake side of the turbo, recirculating it back into the turbo and ultimately the intake.

So, you can see how the blue plate reduces pressure, in theory could lower intake air and turbo temps, and sounds cool. Again, the factory setups obviously last many miles, and assigning a number of any kind to prove reduced wear would be difficult.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 08:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtPt05 View Post
Handy, I don't usually get involved in right/wrong discussions, and I usually ask more questions than give answers here in the forum, but saying the "factory" system releases the pressure created by the turbo into the exhaust is incorrect. If you look at the turbo housing itself, you can see where the ports direct the released pressure directly back into the intake side of the turbo, recirculating it back into the turbo and ultimately the intake.

So, you can see how the blue plate reduces pressure, in theory could lower intake air and turbo temps, and sounds cool. Again, the factory setups obviously last many miles, and assigning a number of any kind to prove reduced wear would be difficult.
Hah!

Never worry about telling me I'm wrong. Otherwise, how will I learn.

Yes, you are right and I am wrong! It DOES release pressure to the intake side of the turbo. And if that is the case, the pressure there should be lower than or equal to ambient air. Based on this, I don't see any advantage to the Mopar BOV plate unless getting rid of the warmer air does the trick as you've described. I was a big dummy on this one.

Here you can see the edge of the intake port for the bypass valve:

Here you can see the in (crescent hole) and out (round hole) for the valve itself:

And her you can see the port where the pressure is released on the intake side of the turbo:
GtPt05 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Mar 2017 at 08:28 pm.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 09:18 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

i believe the reason the turbo dumps to the intake from the factory has to do with universal compatibility of the turbo. on my FORD, the air must be reintroduced to the intake tract after the MAF sensor. if the air is vented anywhere else, it creates problems. the MAF sensor measures incoming air. if that air is measured and then not fed through the engine, the computer cannot accurately measure air to calculate fuel, making accurate tuning impossible. on the PT, it uses a MAP not a MAF, so the only benefit with the factory setup is reduced noise... again though the shorter path could (possibly) help vent pressure faster due to a shorter exit path with less piping and bends.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 10:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
i believe the reason the turbo dumps to the intake from the factory has to do with universal compatibility of the turbo. on my FORD, the air must be reintroduced to the intake tract after the MAF sensor. if the air is vented anywhere else, it creates problems. the MAF sensor measures incoming air. if that air is measured and then not fed through the engine, the computer cannot accurately measure air to calculate fuel, making accurate tuning impossible. on the PT, it uses a MAP not a MAF, so the only benefit with the factory setup is reduced noise... again though the shorter path could (possibly) help vent pressure faster due to a shorter exit path with less piping and bends.
I believe you are correct... And I'm guessing from your user name and the fact that you have MAF... you have a 5.0 mustang, '89 or later, or a pre '89 that was converted from speed density? I had an '87 LX 5-speed... Loved it! I'd absolutely buy another one in good shape.
rob302 likes this.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 11:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

As for the BOV, Buy it for the noise, and keep telling yourself there is a 1HP benefit. That's how I justify my "performance" modification.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 28 Mar 2017, 07:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Re-read my description. The stock bypass valve releases the pressure into the exhaust. The Mopar BOV is a plate that redirects the released pressure in the atmosphere. That's what I said.

On the rest, I agree completely.
I've been out of the game for some time but IIRC, the factory recirculating valve directs hot air back into the INTAKE flow not exhaust. Also IIRC, there was some concern early on about that redirected HOT air being mixed into the cool intake air.

EDIT: I should have read the entire thread first before posting
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer

Last edited by OurPTGT; 28 Mar 2017 at 07:46 am. Reason: didn't read entire thread before posting my opinion
Old 28 Mar 2017, 09:08 am
Cool Cruiser

As for the turbo, I thought there was a pressure relief on both sides of the turbo. One on the boosted intake that vents back into the intake to control boost pressure, and one on the exhaust side to relief back pressure.

Exhaust gases should not be relieved into the intake except in the case of EGR. The hot burnt gases are not the best thing to be venting into the intake.

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 28 Mar 2017, 10:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
As for the turbo, I thought there was a pressure relief on both sides of the turbo. One on the boosted intake that vents back into the intake to control boost pressure, and one on the exhaust side to relief back pressure.

Exhaust gases should not be relieved into the intake except in the case of EGR. The hot burnt gases are not the best thing to be venting into the intake.

On the exhaust side, you have the gate in the manifold to redirect exhaust flow. On the intake side you have the pressure relief valve that circulates the already compressed clean air back into the incoming side of the turbo, which is where the hot air comes into play. At no point does exhaust get vented into the intake. The BOV just eliminates the hot air from going through the turbo again, and ultimately into the engine.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 11:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

So...after carefully reviewing all of the input laid forth. I've made a conclusion based of the advice, experience, and opinions given.

PSSSHT PSSSHT it is.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 11:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salderosa54 View Post
So...after carefully reviewing all of the input laid forth. I've made a conclusion based of the advice, experience, and opinions given.

PSSSHT PSSSHT it is.

Hahaha.... Indeed!