PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need suspension/Tires advice

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2017, 07:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need suspension/Tires advice

I have an 04 PTGT. The car is great but I'm having a heck of a time getting my 60ft times down. I don't want to use a slick since the diff is only one wheel peel. My best 60ft is 2.2. I'm running 13.8-9. @106. With that MPH I should be able to run 12's. Are there any 12 second cars in here using stock diff? What suspension are you using and what tire set up? Thank you.
Fk5 likes this.
Old 03 Apr 2017, 09:49 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Need suspension/Tires advice

106 should be high 12's, no? I'd lower the psi in the spinning wheel to try to balance it freely($). Other thought would be to try an airbag in the rear spring opposite the spinning side. For help with an airbag you might pm NitroPT.
Old 03 Apr 2017, 09:52 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

2.2. On a street tire is better than I would expect. Almost makes me suspicious of what you expect from a heavy fwd brick.
Old 04 Apr 2017, 08:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Tire compound will make one heck of a difference, what Tires are you running?

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 04 Apr 2017, 09:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm Currently using Yokohama Advan Noeva AD08's. The one thing I never tried yet was to lower the pressure. This is because they are my daily driving tires and I don't want the side wall to bulge out or something. This year I want to get more of a Drag radial though the Nitto NT 05R.
Old 04 Apr 2017, 10:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Well those Nittos don't seem to come in the GT size, but you do have some really good summer tires right now.

I do have a few questions and some information

1. If it is a ATX have you tried brake torquing?
2. Did you remove excess weight such as rear seats and spare that you can put back in when on the street?
3. Have you done any modifications? I'd atleast start with the Airbox mod people do on this forum. (butt dyno proves it works so far(drag results to come when it finally opens))

Informational:
the PT is not a good launcher, The engine was really designed for high end torque. Long intake runners and a long stroke. You have a good speed, because you gain that all at the end of the power band, the launch always is gonna be lame.

Old 04 Apr 2017, 10:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Stock long block. Stock Turbo. Solid motor mounts, AGP WGA, Spec 4+ Clutch, 1000 CC injectors, custom cal (Ethanol tune), Full 3" exhaust.
Old 04 Apr 2017, 10:29 am
Senior Cruiser

I would look through @SPLNeon 's thread. He has a dedicated drag turbo. He's doing it on the cheap. It's lightened and I think gone to nitrous. I'm pretty sure that he is in the 12's and on the stock drivetrain.

Project El Cheepo v2.4

I would probably look to get a pair of drag radials on an extra set of rims. Consider going wider and/or shorter.
Old 04 Apr 2017, 10:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Do the airbox mod, then dump the clutch and hope for the best. Thats all the advice I got.

Old 04 Apr 2017, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Reading all that you posted.......I suggest improve your driving techniques.

Thing not to do:
PT Cruiser basically street racing and occasional strip application:

Do not lower the tire pressure of a street tire on a peg leg drag racing
Do not power brake an ATX 41TE (I realize you have a manual this is for others) this will damage the transmission and ultimately you will run slower ET's
Do not off set the launch weight distribution for traction on a PEG leg PT Cruiser
Do not haze the tire off the line
Do not run with any chassis handling upgrades or stock sway bars
Do not over rev the engine power limits. ( i am not talking about red line)
Do not "dump" the clutch launching. To much to explain why lets just say PT Cruiser factory specification!

Things to do to go quicker:
Learn to drive your PT
Get Nitrous Oxide
Do a DYNO run to find the best shift point vs peak output
Get a Phantom Grip
Get track only wheels
Get a track only tires (this is a trail and error as NO suggested tire will necessarily work for you personally and your PT Cruiser)
Get rid of some of those so called go fast engine parts you have!

Suggestion that may help:

Go back to STOCK torque struts and engine mounts. The general idea with most is to go with firmer mounts. This is great if you like improved vibration feel and what you think is improved throttle response. However on a PT cruiser it only causes the suspension to load up and cause wheel spin or hazing of the tires during launch. Unless you can practice, practice, practice constantly to improve your driving technique it is easier to just use stock mounts.

On a stock intake system GT or Turbo model PT's (big old long snake around the engine thing) the air box upgrade or any configuration to improve a cooler air intake (IAT) will do nothing for improving anything except sound!

The PT Cruiser is a TERRIBLE platform for Drag Racing in general stock form because it is badly geared, very front heavy and a aerodynamic brick. But it is still fun to run and can be driven reliably in the

12's ALL DAY LONG!

Your other engine performance mods even though they sound "kool" to post about are most likely causing overall poor 1/4 mile results.

This PT Cruiser forum
Even though you have a PT Cruiser there are only a very few that know about Performance engine up grades that work well and suspension upgrading and even fewer about How to Drag Race on this forum. I suggest to join a Drag Race Forum.
I am NOT saying to leave this forum only suggesting a forum that is better suited for what your asking and want to do with your vehicle. Many of us I am sure would be interested if you started a thread about your PT and your racing exploits.

Here are a couple that I belong to that you may find of interest?Drag Racing Forum • Index page
Bracket Talk Forum

Last edited by NitroPT; 04 Apr 2017 at 11:26 am.