Thermostats

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2017, 04:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Thermostats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Sleeper View Post
Have you ever heard of Kroil? It's kinda like pb blaster or wd40 on steroids... Lol...i use it alot. It's amazing. It's kinda hard to find. Not many stores carry it. I get it from work so im not sure who carries it. My bleeder was frozen but after about 20 minutes soaked in kroil it came free. If you ever come across any you should grab a can. It smells like pinesol... Lol
It's usually easiest to buy Kroil directly via mail order. Some places carry it but it's usually cheaper to buy their internet specials that seem to go on all the time.

I heard that a 50/50 mixture of ATF+Acetone is the best penetrant bar none. They separate like oil and vinegar so you need to put it in a spray bottle and shake it up real well just before spraying. I'd like to try that sometime, but I still have about 80% of an aerosol can and 75% of a liquid can of Kroil that I bought a couple of years ago and don't have a need for a penetrant very often.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 12:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have some atf and some acetone sitting dust covered on shelf. I am going to mix some up. Always willing to try something new, to an extent...I'll write on the spray bottle. ... rsrocket1 lube... patent pending. ..lol

I hope it works better than the last homemade penatrant I tried to make. .... liquid plummer and pieces of aluminum foil. ...lol....it penatrated the bottle I mixed it in...does that count? ...
VsandFords likes this.

Last edited by Silver_Sleeper; 11 Apr 2017 at 12:10 pm.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 12:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Any "penetrating" thread products to be effective really depends on the fasten it is being applied to. The better and more precise the fastener was manufactured the less effective any penetrating substance will work. Try working on well used and un-cared for fire arms and you will understand this?

Most vehicle manufactured for sale in the USA from about 2000 and newer have very good quality control and manufacturing of the end product as well individual parts. Old school ways of removing fasteners by way of lubricants do not work very well in most case not at all.

Now after any part has been removed and reinstalled this is another story altogether.

Removing weathered fasteners on newer vehicles usually means it is time to get out tools needed for their removal with pretty good success. A combination of a few or if lucky only a single tool, Propane torch, hard and soft hammer, cold spray in a can, air ratchet a few other I can't think of at the moment.

Then remember that re-installing anti seize, small copper brush to clean threads, maybe the proper type of thread locker and a little spray paint to finish are you friendly tools.

Last edited by NitroPT; 11 Apr 2017 at 12:41 pm.