PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Thermostats

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2017, 06:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Thermostats

Hello everyone, anyone running a 160 or a 180 thermostat? Pro's and con's? Or Does the pcm cancel out any possible benefit ?
Old 06 Apr 2017, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Thermostats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Sleeper View Post
Hello everyone, anyone running a 160 or a 180 thermostat? Pro's and con's? Or Does the pcm cancel out any possible benefit ?
Yes! *180F for the last 4plus years. *No con's
No PCM issues NONE!

I would suggest that if you intend to continue with the performance upgrading that you add at least one auxiliary electric fan with a manual switch and also tie it into the OEM fan wires for PCM control.

I do not recommend the use of a 160f T stat with a street driven PT Cruiser, unless you plan of having the PCM calibrated for its use. I offered on another platform for several years a modified STANT Balance STAT 160F for racing 180F . The 160F did cause engine codes and also in area's with very cold ambient some drivability challenges.
Old 06 Apr 2017, 07:45 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

if you have a 160, the car will still get hot when you are stopped. ..but the cooling fan kicks on at the same temperature.

basically if you have a 160 thermostat and you tune the car so you can run more aggressive timing, then you sit in traffic and the fan still kicks on at 206.. now what?

I THINK if you plan to tune the car yourself, it'll be much easier with the factory 195 thermostat. it's "interesting" trying to tune a car with the temp swinging around 46.

i'm putting a 192 back in my Ford for this reason. last year i was running a 180, filtering out all data under 180 and still getting fairly wacky data.

for me the cooler air isn't worth the tuning headache

warning! '92 ford junk below!

top is MY timing table, bottom is STOCK timing table.

notice the "load" column on mine goes higher before trying to match numbers up.
also notice there is no "temp" factor
3.jpg

here's how temp will effect my timing, vs stock timing. it's all zero'd out for ease of tuning, and all i lose is 3 of advance at temps under 86, and only at WOT. even the factory tuning remains unchanged from 120 all the way to 200
2.jpg

load vs temp spark adder... same thing more or less no change from 75 to 196, even from the factory.
1.jpg

fuel economy goes down at lower temps though and tuning gets impossibly inconsistent... for me anyhow. if it's not adding timing due to your cooler t-stat, what's the point?

i also noticed that due to my fans kicking on at a lower than factory temp, they kicked on and off more, and i eat relays for lunch now... another reason i'll be going back to the 192

Last edited by rob302; 06 Apr 2017 at 07:48 pm.
Old 06 Apr 2017, 07:47 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

i'm sure if nitro says you'll be fine, you'll be fine.
Old 06 Apr 2017, 09:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

I am also running a 180 degree (Motorad) stat and have had no pcm issues or anything either, even during the cold Canadian winter.
Old 06 Apr 2017, 09:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Years ago I had a lt1 ws6 with a 160 and didn't like it at all in the winter months. When it's cold outside I like heat... I was checking around and most auto parts stores don't offer a 160. So maybe I'll try the 180 when I pull the injectors for cleaning.
Old 06 Apr 2017, 10:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
i'm sure if nitro says you'll be fine, you'll be fine.
Why would someone tune ther PT Cruiser PCM/ECU for best engine output and than drive it in traffic. I would have a program that I could upload files on a moments notice to compensate for different driving environments. You and I have talked about how many different files I use and have for my PT Cruiser.

Your graphs and DATA logging are really good...
I am not sure I would agree that your FORDs data would be the same as the PT's or even my MINI's.http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...other-car.html
I do like the warning hahahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
warning! '92 ford junk below!

The reason I mentioned recommending a manually controlled auxiliary fan was because of the almost no air flow into the engine compartment below 40 mph. I attempted to lower the fan controls to more reflect the use of the 180 T stat with the DST but it seems the PCM will not allow the change. The "tech" at DS have not been able to help me with this issue nor can they explain why even with trying a couple different PCM's. They also mentioned that I am the only one that ever called about the fan control cells for a PT Cruiser not excepting changes I did with mine. The CMR program allows for more advanced setting changes and I got to try changing the fan control on another PT Cruiser and it also seemed to be over ridden by the PCM? I know what was suggested to me but until I get to see it and test it for myself I think a couple will know what is happening in the PT's PCM regarding this?

The biggest reason for running cooler temperatures in the PT is more a safety net. Running some basic EGT show almost no difference between running a factory 195 and 180 for timing of fueling changes. However doing an exhaust analysis comparing the 195 vs 180 was lower in both CO's and HC's.

I have mentioned in many threads about my MPG...going up with a few changes including the 180F T-Stat.

The IATs DO NOT change in anyway going from a 195F to a 180F in a PT Cruiser Turbo model.

I might also add the using the 180F T stat was one of the very first changes I did right after getting our PT Cruiser after only a few months of driving in ambient running in the 100F-110F day and getting caught up in stop and go traffic.

Quote:
Years ago I had a lt1 ws6 with a 160 and didn't like it at all in the winter months. When it's cold outside I like heat... I was checking around and most auto parts stores don't offer a 160. So maybe I'll try the 180 when I pull the injectors for cleaning.
I recomend to send your injectors to RC Injectors for a complete set rebuild.
https://www.rceng.com/

Temperature range on dash gauge

160F T stat belong in car like these NOT PT Cruisers
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...ave-owned.html

My MPG thread
Nitro's PT Cruiser gas mileage and how I did it

Ok I am done with this thread on Thermostats for PT Cruisers again. We just had a thread about them last week and looked what happened there!

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Apr 2017 at 10:19 pm.
Old 07 Apr 2017, 01:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yea i was giving rc a thought. They have good reviews. People seem to be happy with their work . I can't remember but I think it cost 150 ish or something like that... I could be getting that confused with something else. My memory is crap.
Old 07 Apr 2017, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Yea i was giving rc a thought. They have good reviews. People seem to be happy with their work . I can't remember but I think it cost 150 ish or something like that... I could be getting that confused with something else. My memory is crap.
RC FUEL INJECTION
http://www.rceng.com/index.aspx
Good thing for internet reviews.

To bad they can't list how many other aftermarket fuel system part manufacture use them for R&D and independent testing and product comparing work.
Old 07 Apr 2017, 05:15 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

when i called i got the retarded half brother.

Last edited by rob302; 07 Apr 2017 at 06:25 pm.