Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Best Air Filter assembly for Turbo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2004, 04:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Best Air Filter assembly for Turbo?

Hi all,

Looking at the various options for the air filter assembly. I like the idea of having a CARB approved unit like the K&N so I do not have to change it out at Smog Check time, but if it is not CARB I can live with it.

Thanks

Mike
Old 29 Jun 2004, 04:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

If you are considering eventually installing STAGE 1 then I'd recommend you stick with the "stock airbox' with these modifications...install drop-in K&N performance air filter...replace stock turbo to airbox pipe (thereby removing the restrictive silencer in the tube) with a Brand X (amx1397)/or other custom turboup pipe...AND, remove the "white donut silencer" in the top of the stock airbox. These MODS will all help your turbo engine to "breath better" and some performance gains will be achieved. From all I have read the STAGE 1 was "designed for optimum performance" using the stock airbox setup. Together with a performance free-flow exhaust system, this worked for me. [8D] [8)] By using the SEARCH FEATURE of this forum you can find many threads with good information/PICS to help you in making a decision. Good luck.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 02:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Gary.

You answered several questions. I am not planning on going to stage 1 at this time, I think my cruiser will be a commuter, with just enough pep to keep my happy. I was thinking of what I could do for bolt on HP, so the airbox/filter were the first things that come to mind. Later I may add a muffler or CatBack system, but want to keep it quite.

I may just removed the silencers and replace the pipes as you suggested, and go with the drop in, unless a filter/air intake pipe makes more sense for my driving style,

I was sold on the K&N, but wanted to check here first. All the info is GREAT.

Mike
Old 30 Jun 2004, 02:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nozzano22

Thanks Gary.

You answered several questions. I am not planning on going to stage 1 at this time, I think my cruiser will be a commuter, with just enough pep to keep my happy. I was thinking of what I could do for bolt on HP, so the airbox/filter were the first things that come to mind. Later I may add a muffler or CatBack system, but want to keep it quite.

I may just removed the silencers and replace the pipes as you suggested, and go with the drop in, unless a filter/air intake pipe makes more sense for my driving style,

Mike
Make sure you add a flow through exhaust. Turbos love a flow through exhaust. They don't like chambered mufflers because of the back pressure.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 30 Jun 2004, 12:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote: I think my cruiser will be a commuter, with just enough pep to keep my happy.
FAMOUS LAST WORDS...just before they start ordering stuff
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 30 Jun 2004, 04:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mean Green

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nozzano22

Thanks Gary.

Mike
Make sure you add a flow through exhaust. Turbos love a flow through exhaust. They don't like chambered mufflers because of the back pressure.
...every turbo that ISNT controlled by mopar, that is...

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 30 Jun 2004, 04:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

You got that right CAL. I've got Eibach on my mind![8)]