Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Fan Error Code

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2017, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine Fan Error Code

Question on issue to see if anyone has ever seen this.
I have a 2003 PT Cruiser Turbo, and have recently experienced a interesting electrical issue. The car will be working fine, then suddenly the battery light comes on, and then the engine light comes on. When I read the error codes, it says a 480 error as a stored code which is a engine fan error code. The car continues to run fine. The battery light clears next time you start the car and the engine light eventually clears, the engine fan appears to be working and the car never seems to have any issues through all of this. Anyone have a idea as to what may be causing this?
Old 26 Jun 2017, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Fan Error Code

Your radiator fan brushes might be wearing out or shorting out causing the battery voltage to go down.

I would suggest checking the radiator fan plug connection. Make sure you are making good contact. If the connection is good I would suggest getting a battery load test done. Make sure the battery and battery charging system is working properly. Make sure the wiring harness going to the radiator fan is not rubbing on the chassis shorting the wires to ground.

Does the idle get rough when you are turning on the A/C with the engine cold?

Has the radiator fan been replaced or is it still the original radiator fan?

By the way the radiator fan for the 2003 turbo is a variable speed radiator and it is expensive so its important to make sure everything else has been checked out before replacing this radiator fan.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 26 Jun 2017 at 02:50 pm.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 07:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes the idle gets rough when the A/C is running when the engine is cold. Is this a clue to something?

The fan has never been replaced, but appears to work.

I'll check all the connections and wiring this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll post another reply once I do all the checks.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 10:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

Please go to the new members section and start a thread telling us more about your cruiser and yourself.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 14 Aug 2017, 11:33 am
Regular Cruiser

I was getting the 480 code a lot earlier this year and last. It seems to have stopped after I cleaned the ground connections within the car (left and right side fender ground points).

However, there is potentially an issue in that my engine tends to run cooler these days (based on the inaccurate gauge, not ECT reading from the OBDII). I was suspecting that maybe my fan's variable speed was not working and I was just getting full-on or full-off operation from the fan. I am no so close to getting rid of the car (240K) that I am no longer inclined to get to the bottom of things.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 12:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust123 View Post
I was getting the 480 code a lot earlier this year and last. It seems to have stopped after I cleaned the ground connections within the car (left and right side fender ground points).

However, there is potentially an issue in that my engine tends to run cooler these days (based on the inaccurate gauge, not ECT reading from the OBDII). I was suspecting that maybe my fan's variable speed was not working and I was just getting full-on or full-off operation from the fan. I am no so close to getting rid of the car (240K) that I am no longer inclined to get to the bottom of things.
Thanks for coming back and letting us know what fixed your P0480 with a 2003 turbo variable radiator fan. With that radiator fan being difficult to diagnose this will be a helpful tool to check the ground points on the fenders.

Tags
engine electrical