PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 gt pcm flash and autostick questions

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2017, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 gt pcm flash and autostick questions

I've found some confusing info on the web about this. Can I use the Diablo trinity on my 03 GT pcm or will I have to get an 04-05 pcm?

Also will the trinity, Syked or Stage 1 pcm change anything about the autosticks shifts? Or are there shift kits available?
Mine seems like it takes forever to shift after I manually change it.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 07:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 03 gt pcm flash and autostick questions

You can use your DiabloSport Trinity with the 03 GT. It will work fine.

The Mopar Stage 1 ECU which does have modified shifting, as advertised by Chrysler, is one of the few ways to get your trans shift points modified. FWD Performance offers the Stage 1 ecu and this will in fact be on an 04/05 core since the tables inside the 03 ecu are too small for fine tuning. The 04/-5 cores offer higher resolution tuning maps. Syked ECU Tuning offers the Stage 1 and can probably do just a custom trans only tune for you too. You would have to contact him about that.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 10:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I've looked on FWD performance and registered on their site. I can't find any PT Cruiser listings, pcms or contact info. Is their website still active? Does anyone know how to contact them?
Can they program the new VIN?
Syked page says I need to send a 04-05 core in to be flashed. Which I don't have. And is also where my confusion about the 03 pcm came from.
Sounds like in the long run I'd be better off with a Stage 1 or 04-05 pcm whether I go with the Diablo or not. But for shift improvements I'll need a stage1 or a custom Syked tune. Just to be clear, is this correct?
This is the 1st turbo car I've tried to modify. So some of my questions may seem dumb. I've been researching on here all I can but there are a few things I haven't found out.

Thanks for any info.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 12:22 am
Senior Cruiser

You are welcome.

Yes, for shift improvements you will either need a Stage 1 or custom Syked programming.

You will need an 04/05 core for the stage 1. FWD can get one for you or you can supply your own. The stage 1 makes use of the higher resolution tables found in the 04/05 (NGC3) hardware. So you will need the 04/05 core which will be programmed to work in your 03. And while this is a highly debated point by one or two on this forum, you should also be running the 04 and up injectors with the 03 Stage 1. In 04 and up, all the turbo models received these larger injectors as factory equipment. When you ordered the Stage 1 kit for an 03 from Chrysler, when they were still available, the kit came with the PCM and 4 injectors. The 04 and up kits did not include injectors since the cars already had them.

It looks like FWD hasn't touched their site in a long time. You can contact Cindy at FWD at 281-642-3878. Cindy can either supply a core for you, or you can send in your own 04/05 core. If she is supplying the core, there may be a delay while she aquires one. If you have a junkyard nearby, you can grab your own core from any 04 or 05 turbo PT or any non-turbo 05 PT or Neon (the non turbo and Neon cores are compatible with the PT programming). Some non-turbo 04's may not be compatible so safe yourself the headache and just grab an 05. The final price of the Stage 1 will be a bit cheaper if you supply your own core too. As well, she can program your vin.

I recommend FWD over Syked because he is a one man operation, and this is not his only job so it can result in delays.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 01 Sep 2017, 08:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the info.
I now have a dilemma. I am on a time crunch. We've set up a legal street race event at our local closed 1/8th mile drag strip on Oct 7&8. I currently have 3 call outs in the PT and 2 in my C10.
I am purchasing all my parts this coming week. (I'll start another thread on my parts and build) All but the O2 housing and downpipe and pcm can be shipped directly. 5-10 days on exhaust parts.
My concern is the pcm. Id like to have the tranny tweaks but ill do without if i have to til after the race. Seems like syked and FWDP may not make it in time. Calling Cindy today to be sure. I can get an 04-05 GT pcm from eBay already setup for my vin. pretty quick. I could run that and get a DST for a tune for the race.
But if I need injectors also I'd rather go ahead and go straight to Stage 2 injectors, 3bars and wastegate actuator instead of buying matched injectors twice.
Problem is I'm thinking the canned DST
tunes won't support the S2 injectors.

I guess the question is what is the fastest way to get a plug and play tune for what I'm trying to do?

Of course I'm rambling on a bit and will know more after I talk to Cindy and maybe Kevin.
Old 01 Sep 2017, 09:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've done it all three ways. The DS tuner is going to be the quickest. You can buy one on Amazon and have it in two days.

Syked often takes a long time because he's very busy. FWD Performance outsources the Stage 1 flash from one company, Flight Systems, and then seems to use another company for the VIN flash. So they can take a while too. I think my Mopar Stage 1 from them took three weeks and that was unusually fast based on other reports on this forum.

The injectors from any salvage yard 2004 or newer PT GT or Turbo Lite will do the job. And you can buy new or rebuilt ones online all day long. These injectors fit a lot more than just PT Cruisers, so they are fairly common. I figure you could get a set online and have them in hand in under a week.

Of course, you can call and talk to both Cindy at FWD Performance and Kevin (Sykes) about time. My money would be on FWD Performance to meet a deadline. But the custom shift tables that Sykes offers are noticeable and substantial while the regular Mopar Stage 1 shift tables don't seem to provide a driver-detectable change. At least it didn't for me. Also, my Sykes custom Stage 1 seems to provide a little more boost. My PT boosts 15 psi and seems to get there quicker than my previous GT with the Mopar Stage 1.

The canned 93 Octane tune that comes preloaded in the DS Tuner will be very similar to the Mopar Stage 1 tune but with no affect on the transmission. But that tune for the 2003 PT GT does not require the bigger injectors. And the DS tuner can later be used as a loading device for custom tune that you can buy from a custom tuning service with DS CMR software. I don't race. But if I did, my first question would be if the DS tune removes the RPM and speed limiters from the programming the way the Stage 1 and Sykes PCM do. Myckee may know this. I don't.

In summary, the DS tuner will most likely be the quickest to buy and actually use on your PT. And it doesn't need the bigger injectors like the other options. I would just check to make sure the RPM and speed limiter programming has been removed. And while this is my opinion, I defer to Myckee on this stuff. He's been very helpful to me and really knows his stuff while I'm just someone that likes a quick street car.
rockandroller and myckee like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Sep 2017 at 09:18 am.
Old 01 Sep 2017, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

So probably the quickest way would be to get the 04pcm from eBay with my vin, some used or replacement injectors and the DST. Wait to install the stage2 injectors,3bars and wastegate actuator. Then after race I can wait on the Sykes tune and install the stage2 stuff. Prob wouldnt need the DST after that but i guess being as it data logs and has hookup for UEGO wideband it could be finetuned from there. Whereas even if FWD can get me a Stage2 with vin in time, id still be without the TCM calibrations. Sounds like Syked will be worth the wait. Sent him a message so I'll wait til next week when I can order the parts to see what he says on time before I pull the trigger on a PCM.

Thanks for the info.
Soon as I figure out how to upload pics from a phone on here I post up a build thread. Photobucket is not very cell phone friendly
Old 01 Sep 2017, 10:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztunnell View Post
So probably the quickest way would be to get the 04pcm from eBay with my vin, some used or replacement injectors and the DST. Wait to install the stage2 injectors,3bars and wastegate actuator. Then after race I can wait on the Sykes tune and install the stage2 stuff. Prob wouldnt need the DST after that but i guess being as it data logs and has hookup for UEGO wideband it could be finetuned from there. Whereas even if FWD can get me a Stage2 with vin in time, id still be without the TCM calibrations. Sounds like Syked will be worth the wait. Sent him a message so I'll wait til next week when I can order the parts to see what he says on time before I pull the trigger on a PCM.

Thanks for the info.
Soon as I figure out how to upload pics from a phone on here I post up a build thread. Photobucket is not very cell phone friendly
photobucket pics dont show up here
Old 01 Sep 2017, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well crap. I'll get pics on here somehow lol.
Old 01 Sep 2017, 11:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztunnell View Post

Thanks for the info.
I had an original Mopar Stage 1 which I sold before really driving it to learn about how the shifts behaved. The new owner indicated much better shifting but I don't know if it was psychological or not. I also did a quick learn on it when I installed it in his car, so that could have helped too. I don't know. It would be interesting to see if Handy reinstalled his old ecu did a quick learn on it to see if there would still be a difference between his Syked ecu and his original. I am curious about that.

Well, if Stage 2 is your goal, then Syked is the only option. There was never an official Stage 2 for the PT, so Syked can cobble together a custom Stage 2 tune and potentially tweak the trans calibrations.

If you try to run the 04/05 ECU in your 03 car as is, without having first been customized to work in an 03, it will work fine, however the cooling fan will run at full speed while the engine is running. Maybe not a bad thing as it could potentially draw some air through your intercooler while you are staging for your race. But the check engine light will be on and the fan will run at full tilt.

It is because the 03 GT uses a, one year only, ECU controlled variable speed cooling fan. All other years used the standard relay controlled 2 speed fan. When you use the 04/05 ecu, it automatically runs the fan since it cant see the normal circuit and for safety activates the fan.

That said, and it was me going to acquire an ecu for installing a custom tune, it would not be an ecu from a turbo pt, unless I knew for sure the mileage or could see some indication of if or when the ecu was purchased and replaced. The turbo generates a lot of heat and really cooks the heck out the ecu. The 04 and 05 turbo ecus are hot sellers on ebay now because so many of these cars, by now, have many years of high heat conditions and miles and they are all failing. If I was going to buy a core, it would be from a non-turbo car. The heat it will have been subjected to overs its life will have been much less than the turbo cores and likely last a lot longer.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.