Transmission Noise?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tuggajb
  • 1 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2017, 01:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Transmission Noise?

2003 Gt the automatic transmission was changed 300 km ago... The thing shifts fine and no problems whatsoever with it. But coming off the hi-way to a set of lights slowing down is when the noise appears or when sitting there and then turn on the air conditioning there is a knocking sound coming out of the tranny? Almost sounds like a knocking piston sort off. I went to a muffler shop cause at first I thought the muffler had come loose and when it was on the lift I told them to turn on the air and they used a stethoscope and it is definitely coming from tranny.
It just started doing that. The transmission shop that did it is over 7 hours away cause that's where I bought the car and that's where the owner had it done. I don't want to drive it back because I dunno what the heck it is and don't want to make it worse?? Every transmission shop here are thieves so I ain't going here! (Speaking from experience) All of them here! Could it be a bolt that came loose and is rattling around in there? It only does it when the engine is at a very low idle.. and it does sort of sound like something is banging around in there..what could possibly be banging around in there like that??
Someone said it could be bolt off the torque converter that it came loose. Is there even a torque converter in this tranny? Tranny is fine at higher speeds and sitting idle and shifts fine? I know it's just a guessing game at this point but I just wondering if anyone had this happen or could add some possiblitys LOL
Old 31 Aug 2017, 03:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Noise?

Back in the day of nothing but RWD, you would get some nasty crazy noises, sometimes like the one you have, when the flex plate cracked or broke. Possibly loose bolts between the flex plate and torque converter. More noise when NOT under a load.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Last edited by VsandFords; 31 Aug 2017 at 03:49 pm.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 03:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

You should see a tin cover on the bottom of the trans bell housing that you can remove and look in there to see if have a loose bolt on the tourk converter
Rotate the engine by hand and check all the converter to flywheel bolts would find soon as if a bolt came loose and rattling around in there could have drastic damage if gets in the rong place at the right time
VsandFords and Sinbad like this.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 06:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggajb View Post
You should see a tin cover on the bottom of the trans bell housing that you can remove and look in there to see if have a loose bolt on the tourk converter
Rotate the engine by hand and check all the converter to flywheel bolts would find soon as if a bolt came loose and rattling around in there could have drastic damage if gets in the rong place at the right time
Dam I can't even fit a jack under it. It's riding on 235\35\18 and lowered to boot lol I would need a lift and I'm scared to drive it now arrgg..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
Back in the day of nothing but RWD, you would get some nasty crazy noises, sometimes like the one you have, when the flex plate cracked or broke. Possibly loose bolts between the flex plate and torque converter. More noise when NOT under a load.
That seems like a good possibility cause it definitely is loud when at a very low idle like when just before the air kicks in and the engine kinda slows down that's when it is at it's loudest and most noticeable. I can't hear it at all when driving or when I start it or step on the gas ect.... Hell I wouldn't probably not even known it was like that if I didn't slow right down onto the off ramp or turned on the air conditioner. The muffler shop wouldn't have heard it either until I told him to turn on the air when it was on the hoist that's when they heard it. That's when he used the stethoscope to see where it was coming from and it was the tranny. Sounds like something knocking around in there. The car runs fine, starts fine, drives fine and automatic seems to shift fine as well. I haven't even used the auto stick yet. Even when I'm cruising along at a normal speed everything is "Normal" and sounds good..
Old 31 Aug 2017, 07:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Trans mount?
Old 09 Sep 2017, 02:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

I went to 2 different auto places and they both said it could be a bolt from converter or flywheel.. I also went to the wreckers to see if I could find that tin plate I love auto wreckers lol) so I could check it my self but I couldn't find that plate your talking about to look?? I checked on a 03 GT Auto which is what I got..
Old 09 Sep 2017, 05:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

I am not sure if it is the same on an automatic, but on a GT 5spd, there is an access panel that you can remove to access the flywheel to flexplate bolts (Torque converter to flexplate bolts in an automatic).

To get it off, you have to remove, or, at the very least loosen the hotside turbo pipe which is bolted to that access panel. The power steering lines are also connected there too. Once the 13mm nuts are removed and the lines and pipe is out of the way, remove the 15mm studs which secure that access panel to the oil pan. Then there is an 18mm bolt towards the rear of the car which bolts the access panel to the transmission bellhousing. In the front of the engine there are two 18mm bolts which go through a bracket and into the trans bellhousing. But to remove one of those 18mm bolts you will have to remove the three 15mm bolts which secure that bracket to the block. Of course all this is almost impossible with the fan still in place and possible the starter....

Anyway once you have that all off the access panel can be removed and you will be able to see your bolts. You may be able to sort of see them with only the starter removed, but probably can't tighten them.

It's not likely you will be able to see the flexplate to crank bolts at all unless the trans is moved out of the way. SO hopefully it is only your torque converter bolts which are loose.

Again, the above description is how it is on a gt 5spd. I am guessing it is the same way on an automatic.
VsandFords likes this.
Old 10 Sep 2017, 01:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Oh, ok thanks but that is way too much work for me...I am just waiting to hear back from the guy I bought it from and he is waiting to hear back from the place that put in the new tranny. Supposedly there is 2 years remaining on the warranty.
Getting a little frustrating here been waiting just over a week now and I don't want to drive the dam thing in case I make it worse? If I had the money I would tow it back to where it was done. It's over 300 kilometers though...Heck I would even drive it there If I knew I couldn't make it worse. Hell I've only driven it a few times since I bought it.
Old 10 Sep 2017, 01:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicmax View Post
Dam I can't even fit a jack under it. It's riding on 235\35\18 and lowered to boot lol I would need a lift and I'm scared to drive it now arrgg..

That seems like a good possibility cause it definitely is loud when at a very low idle like when just before the air kicks in and the engine kinda slows down that's when it is at it's loudest and most noticeable. I can't hear it at all when driving or when I start it or step on the gas ect.... Hell I wouldn't probably not even known it was like that if I didn't slow right down onto the off ramp or turned on the air conditioner. The muffler shop wouldn't have heard it either until I told him to turn on the air when it was on the hoist that's when they heard it. That's when he used the stethoscope to see where it was coming from and it was the tranny. Sounds like something knocking around in there. The car runs fine, starts fine, drives fine and automatic seems to shift fine as well. I haven't even used the auto stick yet. Even when I'm cruising along at a normal speed everything is "Normal" and sounds good..
Just curious but how do you change a flat tire if it's that low?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Sep 2017 at 01:30 pm.
Old 10 Sep 2017, 01:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

I don't lol I keep some of that flat tire stuff in a can. The stuff that will clog a hole enough to get from a to b and pump it up. It came with the car when I bought it lol The guy said that's how he did it if it happened.