Advertisements
cyl 4 misfire

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fk5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Oct 2017, 05:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy cyl 4 misfire

I recently purchased a 2010 PT Cruiser turbo. It currently has just under 29,000 miles on it. The car wasn't driven much before I purchased it, and I mostly do city driving. I have had the battery replaced, tune up, replaced the coil package, and I am still getting a cylinder 4 misfire. I barely get it back before the check engine light starts flashing. It does have a rough idle, almost like it's lurching at times. I was told doing a fuel line cleaning was not recommended for the turbo engine. I am not a mechanic, and the guys I have working on this seem to be genuinely interested in fixing the problem for me. But, they are stumped. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm told it could be anything, but I feel like there's got to be a way to narrow it down.
Old 03 Oct 2017, 05:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: cyl 4 misfire

Go get a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner. Put that in the tank and drive it. You might also check the magnet behind the cam position sensor. Why wouldn't anyone want to do a fuel line cleaning on a turbo? That makes no sense to me at all.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 03 Oct 2017, 05:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: cyl 4 misfire

What have they done so far?

Usual suspects are:
1. Plug
2. Plug wire
3. Injector
4. Intake gasket

The first three are fairly easy to check. Just pull two plugs and swap them. Reset the codes. Does the code follow the plug? There is your problem. Same for the wire. You can do the same with the wire. Swap the wires on 1 and 4. You can swap injectors too, but that will require pulling the upper plenum. At that point you might as well do the gaskets. You can spray around the intake on #4 (driver's side most) and if the idle changes you probably found your problem. Intake gasket issue is very common on #4 for the aluminum turbo manifold, but a 2010 should have a composite intake.

FWIW, the flashing CEL means impending damage. With a misfire code, I think that it usually indicates an over rich condition which (if unchecked) will probably damage the catalytic converter.

I also do not think a P0304 would indicate a coil pack because cylinder 1 and 4 fire together. Under most circumstances a problem with 4 would also have a problem with #1. I think there was somebody that had an issue with the terminal at #4. In my car ('03 GT with aluminum manifold) the gasket had blown out and blocked the injector port. Spraying around #4 made no difference, but the blown gasket was blocking fuel into the cylinder. New gaskets and A-OK.

Good luck.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.