• 3 Post By rob302
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By thecabinguy
  • 4 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By channelcge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Feb 2018, 01:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Slight ticking at idle when warm?

What's up everybody! I did a little searching around but didn't see anybody describing the same thing I seem to be hearing on my 04 PT GT (maybe I'm just blind, too). ONLY when I'm idling and the car is fully warmed up, I notice a slight ticking noise (still soft, but prominent enough that I noticed it). I hear a lot of discussion about lifters and "cam caps", but nothing about warm idle so far. Could it still be a lifter? Or possibly something else? Curious if anybody's ever heard this before. All I know is, ticking in an engine is usually not a good thing thanks in advance!
Old 17 Feb 2018, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Slight ticking at idle when warm?

I would suggest putting a manual oil pressure gauge on it and see what the oil pressure is when the engine gets warm at an idle.
channelcge likes this.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 02:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i would recommend listening to the engine with a stethoscope or long screwdriver. all over the valvecover, then same thing with the exhaust manifold.

if you're fairly sure it's a lifter tick, try using a cleaner or Marvel Mystery Oil first.

or..

the exh. manifolds are prone to cracking. cracks grow with heat, this makes the most sense to me if you only hear it when warm.

i stole a pic from Nitro and added red dots so you can see what i'm referring to. i know exhaust leaks are commonly mistaken for valvetrain noise.
Capture.jpg

also realistically, you might just be too picky and it's running perfect. they aren't sewing machines like older hondas, but a little noise should be expected.

one other thought is it could be the balance shaft chain slapping around at low load. it's a harmless noise that IS fixable, but IMO more trouble than it's worth. click here to read all about it: Question on balance shaft chain
Old 17 Feb 2018, 05:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

It all depends on how many miles you have on it, too. I'd try Robs suggestion of the Marvel Mystery Oil. That's good stuff.
channelcge likes this.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 11:38 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelcge View Post
What's up everybody! I did a little searching around but didn't see anybody describing the same thing I seem to be hearing on my 04 PT GT (maybe I'm just blind, too). ONLY when I'm idling and the car is fully warmed up, I notice a slight ticking noise (still soft, but prominent enough that I noticed it). I hear a lot of discussion about lifters and "cam caps", but nothing about warm idle so far. Could it still be a lifter? Or possibly something else? Curious if anybody's ever heard this before. All I know is, ticking in an engine is usually not a good thing thanks in advance!
Probably a long shot, but are you running oil any thinner than the recommended 5-30?
channelcge likes this.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 18 Feb 2018, 02:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It may be a slight varnish build up on the valve train components. You may want to try adding a point of Marvel Mystery Oil.

AT you next oil change while the engine is idling add a FULL quart drive around the block a couple time not exceeding 30 mph and 3500RPM then let it idle for 5-10 minutes before draining oil for the filter/oil change.

Over filling in this fashion for the short period as described will not harm any engine part. Nor will it cause a new leak from a seal or gasket that is not already leaking.

What so many do not realize is that most engines the RPM range of 2500-3000+ the sump is about 1/2-3/4 full with the rest of the oil circulating around the engine.
Also I get a chuckle at those that try to check there oil and only fill to the full line on engines where they added remote cooler and or dual filters. They may not have done well in MATH class when accounting for increase volume area holding fluids equations? The True at heart Gear Heads re-mark their full lines on their HOT RODS dip sticks!

The normal warning that has been for decades about not over filling the oil in the engine does still apply for normal driving but not for the purpose of a pre- cleaning prior the oil change as described.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 18 Feb 2018 at 02:29 pm.
Old 05 Mar 2018, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for the info! Sorry for the late reply as well, I forgot to "subscribe" to the thread (oops), plus I've been working on some other issues with the PT more than driving it lately, so haven't had a chance to look into that any further lol. I have an oil pressure gauge already wired into power but never did get around to hooking up the sender, I should probably get a move on and finish installing that. Oil pressure is something not to mess with lol.
That's also something I never thought about is the possibility of a small manifold leak, I'll take a listen in the morning with a screw driver around that and the vc. I have an oil change coming up soon too, maybe Ill try some of that "Mystery Oil". And I think tomorrow Ill also get the stuff I need to finally install that sending unit for the oil press. gauge. (and rob302, I've been known to be overly fussy about noises in the past, that could be my very problem as well haha!) Thanks again dudes! I'll keep you updated!